HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:50 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I'm somewhat tempted to get myself a Phantom very soon. It looks like a Phantom + DJI's brushless gimbal is a great solution for simpler shots. I recently put together a rather expensive hexacopter, but for that sort of thing it really is overkill.

Is it a safe buy, or are they coming out with something new very soon?
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:41 AM
Joined May 2013
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by natscape View Post
I am trying to repair my old shell which has cracks on the motor mounts while waiting for my new shell to come in.

There are lots of glues, epoxies, etc. and I don't know which ones will work best.
A few members have highly recommend Plastex some pages back in this thread. Apparently much better than CA, though I have not personally used it yet...

http://www.plastex.net/
Jetfin is offline Find More Posts by Jetfin
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:09 AM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
785 Posts
Alright, so as I mentioned before my biggest fear with the Zenmuse is crashing ruining the Zenmuse and the GoPro. Then I'd be out almost $1,000!! That would just really make me upset if it was to happen. I am sure it would make many of you upset also.
I am so picky I don't even want small scratches on mine or my GoPro lens.

So, I think I have solved the problem

This is made out of 100% real leather and uses a small polarizer filter I cut which can be removed easily and attaches with velcro. The main cover weighs 15.5g and with the polarizer lens cover it weighs 23.5g all total 0.05 pounds. It covers the front and back also. You don't need to use the GoPro holder attachment as this will hold the cam on without it.

I haven't had time to fly and test it yet, but tried it a bit in my house and seems to work. I'll fly tomorrow morning and put it through some test and see how it performs.
Bravia3D is online now Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Last edited by Bravia3D; Jul 11, 2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:10 AM
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Jul 2012
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
I just wanted to report that I've started to develope the TBE's as well. I upgraded to latest firmware last Sunday, and I flew it for about the 7th time since the update today and it ended up in a major crash. I did a full calibration as the update suggests, and calibrated the compass as well, and everything worked fine up until today.

Today I started up as normal, in the same flying field that I always fly at, so should have been no need to recalibrate the compass, and after initial startup sequence I had all normal lights, locked onto more than 6 satellites, etc. Took off, flew around on manual, Atti, and GPS lock, all normal. Then when on GPS lock the Phantom started to hunt, or basically do a toilet bowl effect, like it circling it's GPS point. I thought that was strange, but didn't think any more about it. Then I activated RTH to show some friends. It flew back to home point but over shot it's mark. So I tried to take control again, and that's when all hell broke loose. I had switched back to Atti mode in order to initiate control after RTH, but I had no control, and it had a large TBE, I noticed that the LED was showing Green, to indicate GPS mode, but I was in Atti on the transmitter. I yelled out 'HEADS UP!' to notify the other fliers at the field that there was a wild model on the loose. A few people had to run out of the way as the Phantom came in low and eventually cartwheeled to a stop at my feet. I am glad that no one got hurt, and was really surprised to see that I only had 2 broken blades on the Phantom and that was it.

I haven't had a chance to investigate further as to what may have caused it, I hope to hook it up to the assistant tomorrow, and see if I can find anything strange with settings, control functions, etc. And I hope to have the video of the flight up on YouTube in the next few days.

I will keep you all posted with my findings, if I find anything that may have caused this that is. But basically I just wanted to let people know that I am also showing TBE, just in case there is an issue with the latest Firmware update. I should also point out that during initial start up the phantom was in the middle of a field with no metal near the compass.

And again, this was after 7 successful flights, at the same location since the firmware update. I'd hate to think that I should have to calibrate the compass before every flight.
Hmmmmm....interesting. Sorry for the bad experience, but thank you for the info. I hope there really isn't something wrong with the 3.14 update.

Time will tell.
redrider2 is offline Find More Posts by redrider2
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:49 AM
Joined Apr 2011
787 Posts
Is there any ARRIS CM2000 gimbal reseller in the US?
rnelias is offline Find More Posts by rnelias
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:27 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
I just wanted to report that I've started to develope the TBE's as well....
I rarely didn't have TBE with my older Naza controller. I sold it some time back in favor of a less expensive, more capable ArduFlyer controller...never had TBE since. This is part of the reason I just bought a Phantom shell and will be installing my own electronics.

On a side note, any see the ad for the new Horrizon Hobby Blade 350 quad? A new 'shelled' frame with a GoPro mount up front. Doesn't look tall enough for a gimbal though.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:29 AM
Joined Oct 2006
377 Posts
Will the TAROT 2D gimble work with a Go Pro 2?
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:36 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUCD VPR View Post
Will the TAROT 2D gimble work with a Go Pro 2?
From what I've read, no, not without some modifications at least. The GP1/2 is, I believe, a little taller than the GP3. The Tarot gimbal cradle was designed to fit the GP3. Bummer, as I have two GP1's. I'd of bought the Tarot already if I was able to use what I have vs having to invest even more $$$ in a GP3 to use it.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2013, 09:30 AM
Up, Up & hopefully away!!
United States, FL, Volusia County
Joined May 2013
1,478 Posts
Distance Test

Yesterday I flew FPV via the Fatshark stock antennas over 1300 yards and when I turned, I lost the signal for a few seconds.

Yesterday afternoon the 3 lobe Bluebeam replacement arrive and I wanted to compare it against the Fatshark's antennas.

You'll see in the following video that I backed up instead of turning to maintain the signal, which worked great. Around the 2:34 mark in the video, the quad is 1332 yards away. This video was via GPS/ATTI mode.

On my next flight, I did the same test but this time I yaw/turned back home and I did not lose the signal. I did lose some signal as I was coming back, but I just released the stick and the signal was good again. I flew via ATTI and the video was really shaky(8mph wind), so I posted the other. Oh yea, the voltage reading was 11.15V's when I turned for home. This was the same battery I was using when I had to land inside the fenced area the other day. So I flew back parallel to the road so if I did run low and had to land, I'd be on the correct side of the fence In the end, I was at 10.95V's when I arrived home.
I'm also including a Google Earth image showing where I flew to.

distance test (4 min 11 sec)
flboy286 is offline Find More Posts by flboy286
Last edited by flboy286; Nov 02, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:17 AM
United States, GA, Macon
Joined Jun 2013
299 Posts
A little off topic but:

I've been looking at some DJI videos from NAB and they talk about new balanced props. Does anyone know where to get these props? My dealer is not aware of them.

Thx

E
edunwody is online now Find More Posts by edunwody
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:22 AM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,722 Posts
The props have been shipping with new Phantoms for several months now.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:27 AM
Joined Oct 2006
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
From what I've read, no, not without some modifications at least. The GP1/2 is, I believe, a little taller than the GP3. The Tarot gimbal cradle was designed to fit the GP3. Bummer, as I have two GP1's. I'd of bought the Tarot already if I was able to use what I have vs having to invest even more $$$ in a GP3 to use it.
SO pretty much those of us with GP1 & 2 are screwed. I'm definitely not buying a GP3 anytime soon since my GP2 works perfect for everything I need. SO yah all these gimbals are only for a GP3, the Zenmus, the Tarot and the Arris...Ahh so frusterating that they did not figure out how to accommodate a little larger GP2. Bummer...guess i'll be back in a few months to see if anyone came out with one. NO gimbal for me still
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:31 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,966 Posts
Quote:
SO pretty much those of us with GP1 & 2 are screwed. I'm definitely not buying a GP3 anytime soon since my GP2 works perfect for everything I need. SO yah all these gimbals are only for a GP3, the Zenmus, the Tarot and the Arris...Ahh so frusterating that they did not figure out how to accommodate a little larger GP2. Bummer...guess i'll be back in a few months to see if anyone came out with one. NO gimbal for me still
There are lots of gimbals around that will take the older GoPros but most of the more popular ones are for Hero 3. The issue is that proper balance is critical so easier to make for specific model and the 3 is small, lighter, and newer.

The image quality difference of the 3 over the 2 is enough that I never use my 2 now.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:32 AM
Pen
FPWhat?
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2008
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Looks like the Arris is compatible with GoPro Hero 2

http://www.hobby-wing.com/arris-cm20...ss-gimbal.html

Features of ARRIS CM2000 V2.0:
Simple structure with light weight.
Carbon fiber frame.
Brushless motor directly drive.
With four anti-vibration damper absorbers,easy to adjust.
Compatible with Gopro 2,3.
Weight: 195g (include 2 rewound motors).
Dimension: 8.5cm*10.5cm (width/height).
Working Voltage: 3S 11.1V Lipo.
Pen is offline Find More Posts by Pen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:47 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Talked to Atlanta Hobby today and he suggested that I don't upgrade to 3.14 until a update is made. Im assuming that means to stay at 3.12? Also, Im reading that the prop nuts can loosen. Are you all loctiting or using nylon lock nuts? Lastly, Im also reading that its a good idea to set up manual mode so you can bypass the gps, atti etc in case the unit becomes irratic or unresponsive.....Thoughts?
Thanks in advance. I also bumped up my umbrella insurance as well : )
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Last edited by hidaven; Jul 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM.