HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 488 View Post
Got it sorted out. Quaternium got back to me with instructions on using SimpleBGC. On the V2 gimbal, I changed the 'Roll' motor power to 110 from 150 and the 'Pitch' motor power to 70 from 104. On the V3 gimbal, I changed the Pitch motor power to 70 from 80. Left the Roll motor power at 150. Both gimbals now move smooth and quiet on both 3S and 4S batteries.

Bear
What Gui do you use or you dont use the original Martinez board

BR Stiffe
stiffe sweden is offline Find More Posts by stiffe sweden
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2014, 10:19 AM
Joined Jan 2014
21 Posts
Gimbal Not Responding

My brushless gimbal no longer responds when powered up. I'm using a 4S battery to power it up. A green LED lights up on the board and when I plug in the USB cable for the GUI (SimpleBGC), only one red LED lights up where I think both a green and the red LED normally flickers when the GUI reads data from the board. on SimpleBGC, no data appears to be reading from the gimbal and the gimbal does not level out like it should. For a more descriptive video of what's going on, see video:

Spidex Brushless Gimbal Not Responding (2 min 36 sec)
davbry is offline Find More Posts by davbry
Old Jun 07, 2014, 03:59 PM
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
714 Posts
davbry,

Not sure its relevant but I just had a solder joint break on my IMU, the gimbal went crazy not dead like yours. I had to strip back the IMU cable to find it, can the gimbal freeze if a different wire broke?

I see your board has the red jump wire, my Pro V2 - V1 gimbal had that but I also have a V2 gimbal (alloy) like yours that didn't. The v1 had a light on the IMU, the V2 didn't but I've just powered both up with lights as follows:

V1 board - Blue light in centre solid, red & green by usb conn also solid + IMU
green solid.
V2 board - Green light in centre solid, red Green not lit and the IMU does not have a led.

Sorry I cant be of more help but I can say that Quaternium are good these days for support and they do get back to you pretty fast, so my main suggestion, if you haven't done it already, is to fire them an email.

Hope you get it sorted, I'm still lovin' my Spidex(s) and I'm just getting shipped the parts to convert my mini beta to fold.

John.
jhkiom is offline Find More Posts by jhkiom
Old Jun 08, 2014, 01:17 AM
Joined Jan 2014
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkiom View Post
davbry,

Not sure its relevant but I just had a solder joint break on my IMU, the gimbal went crazy not dead like yours. I had to strip back the IMU cable to find it, can the gimbal freeze if a different wire broke?
John, that was it! Never thought of looking that closely to the wiring on the IMU but when I pulled on it a bit, sure enough, one of them had lost connection. I re-soldered it and gave a tug to a few other wires and another one also came loose. Re-soldered them all, plugged it back in and powered the Spidex up. Bingo; it works!

I thought the problem was on the main board but thanks to your reply, the problem is now solved. Thanks so much for your input. You're a life saver.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:54 PM
Joined Jan 2014
21 Posts
Gimbal Twitch

I have another problem with my Spidex V3 and it's gimbal. This is a problem I've had since i first got it. The gimbal stays nice and level like it's supposed to but it has an annoying 'twitch' in both the roll and pitch motors. It shows up in the GoPro video while in flight too. It will 'twitch' for a minute or so and then calm down for a while, then start the twitch again. See video below...

Anyone have an idea what I can do to fix this?

http://youtu.be/X5HRe3L94tc
Last edited by davbry; Jun 10, 2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 07:41 AM
Spain, Valencia, V
Joined Nov 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davbry View Post
I have another problem with my Spidex V3 and it's gimbal. This is a problem I've had since i first got it. The gimbal stays nice and level like it's supposed to but it has an annoying 'twitch' in both the roll and pitch motors. It shows up in the GoPro video while in flight too. It will 'twitch' for a minute or so and then calm down for a while, then start the twitch again. See video below...

Anyone have an idea what I can do to fix this?

http://youtu.be/X5HRe3L94tc

I think you are having i2c error because somen interference that affects the imu cable. Try to do some test. I saw you have the video tx to close to the cable try with the video transmitter off next time.
moriwaky is offline Find More Posts by moriwaky
Old Jun 11, 2014, 09:48 AM
Joined Jan 2014
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriwaky View Post
I think you are having i2c error because somen interference that affects the imu cable. Try to do some test. I saw you have the video tx to close to the cable try with the video transmitter off next time.
Thanks but I did try that. I unplugged all my FPV gear but had a feeling it wouldn't help since it's done this twitch on day one when I powered it up.

Some of the other things I tried was:
- tried with both a 3S and 4S battery
- checked to make sure the IMU was level
- unplugged the pitch control cable from the RX
Same result after all the above was tried.

One thing I did notice was when I pulled the roll motor cable from the board, the low rumble and the 'tick' sounds disappeared. The few seconds I observed the pitch motor it did not twitch but I had to dash to work. Will try and observe this further tonight when I can resume the testing. Possible roll motor issues?

Any other thoughts guys? All suggestions welcome.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:17 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,127 Posts
FYI I have a spidex v1 frame for sale, for cheap! $50 shipped:

macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
Old Jun 27, 2014, 06:05 PM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined May 2011
598 Posts
Trying new dampening material for Spidex v2 (Sorbotane and HK Gyro Pad) (4 min 36 sec)

Trying new dampening material...sorbothan 30 duro and HK gyro pad

Max
Pozzix is offline Find More Posts by Pozzix
Old Jun 27, 2014, 06:38 PM
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
714 Posts
Looking good Max, seems to isolate well and your location always seems very photogenic

The Spidex continues to amaze me, one of my v2's went down hard from 20m the other day, a prop came loose (poor preflight check on my behalf) and the only thing that was damaged was a single motor mount .

I was expecting the worst but it landed on soft heathland - the speed indicator was at 60km/h on the osd, and I'd forgot to switch the gopro onto record (3rd flight) but did catch it on the dvr from the fpv and the gimbal which was switching between the two, the gimbal managed almost managed a straight horizon despite almost going on it's back.

I will post the footage if anyone wanted to see what happens when you loose drive on a prop.

On another matter, I've just got the components to build up the new V3 with the brand new pdb bottom plate, complete with 12v out with built in choke/low pass filter for video. It looks really compact and very well thought out.

I will post a short build blog over the weekend when I hope to maiden the (updated with full folding arms and the LP filter) new v3 complete with the awesome new purpose built, super sexy carry case.
jhkiom is offline Find More Posts by jhkiom
Old Jun 28, 2014, 11:13 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined May 2011
598 Posts
Hi John,
thanks for your comment.
I'm sorry for latest incident but the risk is behind the angle.. :-) So, I'm looking forward to see your new build soon.

Max
Pozzix is offline Find More Posts by Pozzix