HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,524 Posts
Question
Sterling 63 foot Chris-Craft

I have two questions. Number one: Quoting specs supposedly from the manufacturer" it has speeds up to 20 miles per hour with options of twin or triple Chris Craft or diesel". Would this mean that it could have three screws ?I doubt it.???????. Question number two: I notice a great difference in the angle of the stuffing box/prop, between the motor driven version versus the scale version. Is the angle of the motor driven version dictated by the ease in mounting the engine at the point shown.? The question could also be stated( and this is my primary concern) it seems the center of thrust of the scale props would be more compatible with having the boat properly planning the water as opposed to the power models center of thrust wanting to make the boat nosedive.
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:50 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,226 Posts
Umm, why would you doubt three engines? You could get different triple combinations from Chrysler, Grey, and Detroit.

It was usually 6-71 Detroits, but whatever.

There's plenty of triple Magnums, but that's another story.
Tollytime is online now Find More Posts by Tollytime
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,226 Posts
Grady White 36' Canyon. It's not a photo shop! I'll admit it's a rare request, but it's an approved setup by Yamaha. Yes, the center engine has a longer shaft.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:10 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,649 Posts
Yes there was the option of three motors in the original 63' MY. To my knowledge there were only 6 of this boat built that year and only one was a triple screw. All the rest were twin screw. This is not a planing hull in real life.
However you can get enought power in the model to get it to plane with no problem. As for the angle of the shafts I would set them in place with the struts and then mount the motors to that angle whatever it turns out to be. The props are counter rotating so there isn't the torque problem like you would have with a single screw.
Just get to work building the darned thing will ya? And don't forget the pictures. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,524 Posts
The last time I built this in 1961 I never noticed that you could have three. But then, had I put three motors in like my 1961 version, the boat probably would've" played Titanic".THREE!!!!!!!!!! I think I'm going to have an o====m. Any thoughts on my second question regarding the angle?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilgewater View Post
I have two questions. Number one: Quoting specs supposedly from the manufacturer" it has speeds up to 20 miles per hour with options of twin or triple Chris Craft or diesel". Would this mean that it could have three screws ?I doubt it.???????. Question number two: I notice a great difference in the angle of the stuffing box/prop, between the motor driven version versus the scale version. Is the angle of the motor driven version dictated by the ease in mounting the engine at the point shown.? The question could also be stated( and this is my primary concern) it seems the center of thrust of the scale props would be more compatible with having the boat properly planning the water as opposed to the power models center of thrust wanting to make the boat nosedive.
I've noticed the end of the shaft tube inside the hull is usually above the waterline on a scale boat. This prevents the shaft tube from leaking and sinking the boat.
The shaft coupling on a real boat is below the waterline and there is a packing gland to prevent a serious leak. Getting a realistic shaft angle on a scale boat requires the motor to be mounted near the bow so it stays above the waterline.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollytime View Post
Grady White 36' Canyon. It's not a photo shop! I'll admit it's a rare request, but it's an approved setup by Yamaha. Yes, the center engine has a longer shaft.
You are showing out boards and really I'm talking about in boards but thanks for the picture and the suggestion
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,226 Posts
Quote:
You are showing out boards and really I'm talking about in boards but thanks for the picture and the suggestion
LOL, I know, I just wanted to show it's not a lost art. I would love to see you do the triple, except I'm not sure how you would find a picture to duplicate the setup.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:18 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,649 Posts
One thing with this model is that the scale rudders are pretty small. I made mine bigger for better steering control and with bigger (longer) rudders you can increase the angle of the shafts and still keep the prop higher than the bottom of the rudder.
One thread you need to look at is Classic Boater's build on his 63' MY. It's very detailed and he tells you how and why he built the model the way he did. It's a beautiful example of what can be done with this boat and it runs great in the water. May answer a ton of your questions. Also for pictures of finished 63''s check out the thread for "Sterling 63' MY owners". Lots of info there too.
Your name will be added to this list too if you actually build the model. Pete
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1070708
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ling+63+owners
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:26 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,728 Posts
My heavy old Sterling 63' MY planes easily with single old "Leisure 20" brushed motor, 8 nicad cells and brass 2 blade prop. Running half out of water doesn't look very "scale" though. Two screws probably aids in docking maneuvers. Enlarged rudders probably aid in steering in reverse.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,524 Posts
Stirling chris craft 63'

Quote:
Umm, why would you doubt three engines? You could get different triple combinations from Chrysler, Grey, and Detroit.

After looking at the side view,location of scale prop/shaft,it is apparant that adding the third screw in the center,the keel interferes w/prop.(if located on the same line). Have you any info. or insight on location of center unit?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:45 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,649 Posts
Quote:

Tollytime is that a CC63 in the picture and is that how they arranged the engines in the other picture? Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:38 PM
Bob
Metairie, La. USA
Joined May 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
OldBildge, I have been on a beautiful 1957 55', one of four Conquerors built, even into the engine room with three beautiful diesels just prior the Katrina. I found her in Madisonville, La. and literally got on my knees and asked the Captain to let me aboard! How could he refuse? Even heard all three engines run. Haven't seen her since K but heard he sold her. (He, wife and little daughter were living aboard)
I have not idea as to your angle question since I have not purchased the plans, but seems to me we sometimes forget we are using models on real water vs real boats on real water and compensation must be made.
LaBob is offline Find More Posts by LaBob