HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2010, 07:43 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,757 Posts
Discussion
Futaba fasst compatible receivers ?

Have you heard anything about it, a link maybee ?

I know they are comming out soon, should be a bit cheeper the Futaba original.
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2010, 07:54 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,049 Posts
I had gotten emails from FrSky stating they were working on a FASST compatible Rx but nothing is listed on their website.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jul 01, 2010, 07:55 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,209 Posts
Not sure what you are asking/saying here. I think it is unlikely that there will be after market non-Futaba FASST receivers. FASST is a proprietary technology that Futaba is very unlikely to license other companies to make.

So what have you heard about??

OK, just saw the post above mine. I'll stick with the known quality of Futaba. I wonder if FrSky is authorized by Futaba or not?
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:07 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
Not sure what you are asking/saying here. I think it is unlikely that there will be after market non-Futaba FASST receivers. FASST is a proprietary technology that Futaba is very unlikely to license other companies to make.
Just ask Spektrum how well that has worked for them. DSM is as well, but has been copied, produced and sold here in the US.

Sadly it is a fact of the global economy, and the simple fact that not all play by the rules.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:17 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,049 Posts
To me it is a good thing. It will force the manufacturers to re-evaluate their prices and bring these things closer to reality.

If they do come out, I will finally be able to afford a FASST radio and receiver!
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:20 AM
LAN
Sweden, Östergötland, Valdemarsvik
Joined Oct 2003
456 Posts
Here are links for the Simprop compatible ones:
http://www.simprop.de/Seiten/Modellb...1GigaScan5.htm
http://www.simprop.de/Seiten/Modellb...9GigaScan7.htm

According to a post on a Swedish forum, these receivers uses OEM chips from Futaba, and in that case they appear to be licensed. Since Simprop is a German company, I would suspect that they made sure they are not violating any patents. The pricing of these are very close to Futaba's own receivers.

I would suspect many Futaba users are waiting for clones or copies from China, and I guess this is what the OP is asking for.

/Leif
LAN is offline Find More Posts by LAN
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:39 AM
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Mar 2005
560 Posts
There was a breif reference to a Futaba RX copy coming to Hobbyking but I looked on the HK site just now and can't find it. Who knows when it will come out and how long the first batch will last at HK. They will sell out quickly.

S
swede-rcgroups is offline Find More Posts by swede-rcgroups
Old Jul 01, 2010, 09:01 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,049 Posts
To me, Transmitters are like game consoles now. The manufacturer makes little on them. It is the receiver where the real money is made now that everyone is propietary.

These small outfits are merely looking to get in on the piece of the pie.

To me, spektrum is all over because they were first with a 'regular joe' system (not a ,'I'm a hollywood model maker on a custom system'). That is why they are everywhere.

Maybe by allowing for 3rd party manufacturing, they will better be able get their radios out there and take up more of the market. Spektrum is doing it . My guess is to hold their share of the market.

Once you own a Futaba, you will sometime spend the extra for that special plane for a Futaba made Rx. Some will have a bad experience on the cheap stuff and now be forced to get OEM stuff. Either way, I see it as a win-win situation.

I think this is why Atx and Hitec have kept their prices for stuff low. If there is little markup, 3rd parties will be less likely to make Rxs and they will be in better control. Also, if price is the driving factor, you can start from the beginning with a better pricepoint on Rxs with them.

I don't know about you but I use plenty of 3rd party Rxs for 72mHz. Why, cheaper, lighter and in some cases better than what the OEM was selling. It also offer options for the Tx user.

they each have their own marketing strategy. time will tell which is best....
Old Jul 01, 2010, 11:47 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
I wonder if FrSky is authorized by Futaba or not?
It is not a license production nor clone. It will be an independently developed receiver compatible with Futaba.

As long as compatible receiver is not a copy of Futaba, it does not violate patent. Anyone can receive the braodcast on air wave with own receiver.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 01, 2010, 01:20 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
It is not a license production nor clone. It will be an independently developed receiver compatible with Futaba.

As long as compatible receiver is not a copy of Futaba, it does not violate patent. Anyone can receive the braodcast on air wave with own receiver.
It’s mainly software so I would expect to see receivers from China that will be compatible with various Transmitters. It only a matter of time until they get it working.

I agree – as long as they are independently developed receivers they are not violating any laws. However if they just copy the hardware and firmware then it may not be legal in all countries.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 01, 2010, 02:55 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,049 Posts
What I would be interested to see is if FrSky makes FASST rxs if they will be making a FASST module too.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 03:58 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Just ask Spektrum how well that has worked for them. DSM is as well, but has been copied, produced and sold here in the US.

Sadly it is a fact of the global economy, and the simple fact that not all play by the rules.
I was speaking of authorized use, not stolen. If people are OK buying clearly stolen or illegally copied technology, then I guess that is up to them.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Jul 02, 2010, 07:09 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,263 Posts
Ok, if no more a secret, then lets have a picture "leaked"

Fly2High, yes, there will be a module too, to benefit from FrSky telemetry.
This way Futaba guys will enter in the telemetry world
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jul 02, 2010, 07:13 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,049 Posts
RENATOA,
They have a hint listed on their updated website too

no major info though....
Old Jul 02, 2010, 10:44 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Ok, if no more a secret, then lets have a picture "leaked"

Fly2High, yes, there will be a module too, to benefit from FrSky telemetry.
This way Futaba guys will enter in the telemetry world
Can someone explain how telemetry works? Does it use the same 2.4 frequency hopping scheme as the FASST transmitter or is it on another band?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man