New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2015, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by Rusty Mustard
Professional Amateur
Joined Feb 2013
2,152 Posts
Discussion
Video of early RC hovercraft

Hi all, found this today, some footage of early RC hovercraft models that were used to prove the concept.

https://youtu.be/1sDMOa5jqHA?t=10m47s

The first model looks like a "free flight" setup whereas the next one is RC, cool stuff!
Rusty Mustard is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Mustard
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2015, 08:46 PM
Find More Posts by windnsea
Australia, VIC, Bass
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Thanks Rusty some interesting stuff there. Its no wonder skirts were developed when you see the low hovereheight of the early non skirted craft. Even the models were pretty close to the surface which confuses me. Model tests I've done show you can get hover height around 1/10 of the craft width with good stability which is the same as using a skirt, and the extra power needed is cancelled out by the reduced drag, especially over rough surfaces.
I still think the main problem was trying to carry too much weight for their size. e.g. how well would an aircraft fly with shipping containers strapped to its wings...
windnsea is offline Find More Posts by windnsea
Old May 20, 2015, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by Rusty Mustard
Professional Amateur
Joined Feb 2013
2,152 Posts
Well, remember these were some of the first prototypes, using older RC gear that's quite a bit heavier than what we've got now.
Rusty Mustard is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Mustard