New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by lthibault
Luc
Joined Dec 2004
329 Posts
Question
New to Gas, need feedback on tubing and starting process

Hi folks, I think that I'm on the right track but just need a bit of guidance.

Brand new NGH 25cc motor, see pictures.

Trying a first start for break-In. Questions:

- I did the tubing based on the schema in the instructions manual. The aeration tube is going on top of the tank and then goes in the bottom of the plane, see the transparent silicone tube

- The line going to the carb has a ''T'' with a yellow tube going to the bottom to allow overflow

-Is the tubing OK?

-Do I need to fill the tank until gas runs through the overflow before I turn the propeller to prime the engine?
lthibault is offline Find More Posts by lthibault
Last edited by lthibault; Jan 28, 2015 at 11:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by jaromine
United States, AR, Austin
Joined Jul 2014
296 Posts
Ithibault From what I can see you have the lines right. I have never used the lines that are different colors, only used tygon for my gas lines.
jaromine is online now Find More Posts by jaromine
Old Jan 28, 2015, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by tacx
United States, MI, Romeo
Joined Apr 2009
2,943 Posts
You mentioned "silicone" tubing. You do not want to use silicone tubing for a petrol fuel engine.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Jan 28, 2015, 05:35 PM
Luc
Joined Dec 2004
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
You mentioned "silicone" tubing. You do not want to use silicone tubing for a petrol fuel engine.
Right I remember it is specifically for gas, I ordered that part accordingly, my mistake
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by reverse
Joined Jan 2015
308 Posts
NGH = junk
reverse is online now Find More Posts by reverse
Old Jan 29, 2015, 06:41 AM
Luc
Joined Dec 2004
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse View Post
NGH = junk
Ok...can you explain why?
Last edited by lthibault; Jan 29, 2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse View Post
NGH = junk
Huh????

I have an NGH 38cc 4 stroke gasser, as do 2 other members of my flying club. All of them run fine, very smooth and plenty of torque to turn a 22X10 prop. Mine started and idled perfectly right out of the box with no adjustment needed. I have about 2 gallons through it, and nary a dead stick.

Please justify your statement with facts, if you can.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Feb 01, 2015, 05:25 PM
Find More Posts by 600Bob
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,662 Posts
"The line going to the carb has a ''T'' with a yellow tube going to the bottom to allow overflow"

Overflow? If your fuel tank has two lines coming out of it the top should be a vent, have a loop in the line to help prevent siphoning. The vent line is also the overflow to see when the tank is full. when filling it. The fuel line to the carb will have a "T" with a line for putting fuel into the tank, it is not an overflow, it must have a plug in it when running.

If your fuel tank has three lines then one is a vent, one goes straight to the carb, and the third is for fueling and de-fueling the tank.

You will most likely not be able to hand flip that engine to start it, I have never been able to hand start mine, I use an electric starter. Yes you can prime it by hand flipping it but not much point if you use a starter.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Feb 01, 2015, 05:39 PM
Find More Posts by 3dFlyingMaster
Joined Dec 2014
76 Posts
Your vent line should not have a plug in it, it needs to vent the fuel tank.

^Like said above^, your vent line should be looped so when your flying it doesn't empty your tank.
3dFlyingMaster is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyingMaster
Old Feb 01, 2015, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by ahicks
United States, FL, Citrus Springs
Joined Aug 2008
1,891 Posts
Ok, trying to follow. There is a clear vent line going up over the top of the tank and out the bottom of the plane. Got it.

Second, there is a blue line leading to a "T" which leads to the filling port (plugged when not in use), and the carb. Got it.

Third, is a clear line that appears to be going to a check valve ? This one I don't get. Where does it go from there? It's purpose?

To answer the question earlier, about the tank needing to be full? No, as long as the fuel pick up in the tank is covered with fuel you should be good to go.
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Feb 01, 2015, 09:29 PM
Luc
Joined Dec 2004
329 Posts
Thank you for your feedback. Your answers make it clear that I don't need the T connector between the carb and the tank since I already have a fill up tube - I will post more pics later. The end of the fill up tube is on this accessory:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Dot%5FRed.html

The vent tube is plugged temporarely to avoid spills. I have installed the vent tube on a chrome round piece on a plywood section that I added to the bottom of the plane:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5FBore%5F.html

I successfully started the engine today and began adjustments and break-in. It runs great!
Last edited by lthibault; Feb 01, 2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2015, 09:40 PM
Luc
Joined Dec 2004
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Ok, trying to follow. There is a clear vent line going up over the top of the tank and out the bottom of the plane. Got it.

Second, there is a blue line leading to a "T" which leads to the filling port (plugged when not in use), and the carb. Got it.

Third, is a clear line that appears to be going to a check valve ? This one I don't get. Where does it go from there? It's purpose?

To answer the question earlier, about the tank needing to be full? No, as long as the fuel pick up in the tank is covered with fuel you should be good to go.
It is the fill-up line going to the red switch / fuel dot - see link to the Hobby King Site in my other reply
Old Feb 02, 2015, 07:53 AM
Find More Posts by ahicks
United States, FL, Citrus Springs
Joined Aug 2008
1,891 Posts
The purpose of the check valve?

You have the plugged line leading from the "T", and a line leading to a fuel dot. The reason for 2 fill methods? Seems like one or the other would suffice.
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Feb 02, 2015, 08:14 AM
Luc
Joined Dec 2004
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
The purpose of the check valve?

You have the plugged line leading from the "T", and a line leading to a fuel dot. The reason for 2 fill methods? Seems like one or the other would suffice.
You're right. I will remove the T connector since I already have the fill-in Line.
Old Feb 04, 2015, 11:29 AM
Luc
Joined Dec 2004
329 Posts
New Pics & Question on tool

Good day,

Adding a couple of pics. I've discarded the check valve. The 3 tubes going out are Ventilation, Carburator (pick-up) and fill-in.

Given your experience and expertise, I'm sure that you guys have suggestions for a good tool. Now that I'm able to get the motor starting and running, I'm having a hard time trying to turn the mixing screws; too much vibration so I need a screwdriver that can attach firmly to the screw. Any suggestions?