New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2016, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by UserName Here
United States, MO, St Clair
Joined May 2006
160 Posts
Question
Great Planes Escapade MX 30cc, a few questions!

Hey all!

Jumping into my first big gasser. I went the glow route; got sick of glow, went all electric; and finally venturing now into my first big gasser. With an 80" Wingspan, I figured this question was best for you find folks.

First off; the search function didn't turn much up; but it's failed me in the past. Has anyone built one of these up? Surely one of you has; did anyone post a build log?

Next sweeping question; anyone using Spektrum on their Great Planes Escapade and want to give me some pointers? The planned receiver is the 6 channel one that came with my DX6 that I've yet to find a use for. The planned configuration is a standard 4 channel config (no fancy two channel ailerons or two channel elevator; not for now) plus choke and flaps (will use a switch on the airplane for ignition). Does anyone see any glaring issues with this? I'm new to gas! I know a lot of guys like to run the ignition to their transmitter; can't I also just use the throttle cut functionality to kill the engine with my Tx? Or should I setup the choke manually and do the ignition on the Tx?

Any ignition battery recommendations? The plan was to use a standard LiFE receiver pack; like I've used in the past. But I'm a little lost as to what to use for the ignition. Ideally, I'd like enough 'juice' to run two or three decent length flights without needing to recharge; if such a thing is possible. It's easily possible (all day even) on some of my glow planes but they are much smaller, and have much smaller servos, etc. And no ignition!

I've ordered the airplane and a DLE 35RA. Kind of going slow with this build.

I know I'm asking you guys everything short of "Build it for me", but I want to get this all right. I've got several years of glow and electric experience and building a variety of ARF's and kits (and BNF foamies! A recent favorite). So I'm not a total noob. But an engine with a spark plug is a whole new ballgame for me; as is this particular ARF and something this big.
UserName Here is offline Find More Posts by UserName Here
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2016, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by Cyjonz
United States, IA, Armstrong
Joined Jan 2014
631 Posts
A couple of things I'll throw out.... I would go with a manual choke, I run mine out the top of the cowling. 2nd an opto kill switch. I like to be able to shut it down with the radio if something happens.
Cyjonz is offline Find More Posts by Cyjonz
Old Apr 16, 2016, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by mike3976
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,950 Posts
http://www.buddyrc.com/glacier-2100m...r-battery.html

I just run the radio and CDI off one battery, four or five flights shouldn't be a problem unless your using 200+ oz. digital servos. Also the optio kill switch as recommended above.
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Apr 16, 2016, 06:40 PM
Joined May 2006
160 Posts
Thanks!

I apologize for the ignorance; but there's no issue with interference running the same battery on both systems? I seem to remember reading Futaba saying there was some issue (I'm running Spektrum but; the systems are similar).

Any servo recommendations? My current plan is to stick with Spektrums line of 100oz. servos, is that a good ballpark? That's in-line with the (Futaba) recommended servos for the model.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by vicrider
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Jun 2012
304 Posts
Here is a thread on the escapade that started when it came out,http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2358248 There is some good info in there. I still have mine and it was also my first gasser. I have the dle 35ra in mine with futaba gear, 1 nimh battery on the ignition with the opto cut off, 2 nimh batteries on the receiver.
vicrider is offline Find More Posts by vicrider
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:47 PM
Joined May 2006
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrider View Post
Here is a thread on the escapade that started when it came out,http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2358248 There is some good info in there. I still have mine and it was also my first gasser. I have the dle 35ra in mine with futaba gear, 1 nimh battery on the ignition with the opto cut off, 2 nimh batteries on the receiver.
Thanks!

I've read through that thread. My current plan is to use a pair of batteries through a power board which will feed everything, including ignition. That power board has a built in opto cut off. Haven't decided on servos. The receiver will be Spektrum; so I'll probably end up with Spektrum servos.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 07:26 AM
Find More Posts by Cyjonz
United States, IA, Armstrong
Joined Jan 2014
631 Posts
That is the way to go, I have the yellow power board in my Sbach 342. When I posted the opto kill I didn't know If you wanted to spend that much money on a board..... Good decision! I do use 2 lipos but Life's are probably better.
Cyjonz is offline Find More Posts by Cyjonz
Old Apr 19, 2016, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by JeffinTD
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,776 Posts
The power board I think would be a bit of overkill on only a 30cc plane, but when it comes to powering servos and the reciever, a bit of overkill isn't necessarily bad.

If running Spectrum and you want a power distribution system, I'd consider one of their power safe recievers like Ar9110. Combines 3 satellite recievers, heavy duty power buss with two pairs of 16 gauge battery wires, and a fail-on soft start switch and bat share type system. All in one compact package with no jumpers, keeps things simple.

Ignition wise, IMHO I won't run a gas airplane without an ignition kill system. Throttle linkages can fail, and it also ensures the engine won't run if the receiver or battery fails, or if someone tries to start the engine with the reciever off.

As far as powering the ignition off the reciever battery, some have done this without problem, but I'm not comfortable with doing so directly without some sort of rf filter.

I would highly recommend this ignition battery eliminator.

http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec

It pulls power from the reciever, filters RF, regulates the voltage down (output adjustable with jumpers), and it includes an optically isolated ignition kill all in one small and light weight package.

Anyway, a flying buddy has this plane and the DLE you are looking at. His took some lead on the firewall to obtain correct CG, but it looks like a nice sport flier.

Finding a local flier experienced in gas to give you some in-person help would also be a good idea.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Last edited by JeffinTD; Apr 19, 2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:29 AM
Joined May 2006
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD View Post
The power board I think would be a bit of overkill on only a 30cc plane, but when it comes to powering servos and the reciever, a bit of overkill isn't necessarily bad.

If running Spectrum and you want a power distribution system, I'd consider one of their power safe recievers like Ar9110. Combines 3 satellite recievers, heavy duty power buss with two pairs of 16 gauge battery wires, and a fail-on soft start switch and bat share type system. All in one compact package with no jumpers, keeps things simple.

Ignition wise, IMHO I won't run a gas airplane without an ignition kill system. Throttle linkages can fail, and it also ensures the engine won't run if the receiver or battery fails, or if someone tries to start the engine with the reciever off.

As far as powering the ignition off the reciever battery, some have done this without problem, but I'm not comfortable with doing so directly without some sort of rf filter.

I would highly recommend this ignition battery eliminator.

http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec

It pulls power from the reciever, filters RF, regulates the voltage down (output adjustable with jumpers), and it includes an optically isolated ignition kill all in one small and light weight package.

Anyway, a flying buddy has this plane and the DLE you are looking at. His took some lead on the firewall to obtain correct CG, but it looks like a nice sport flier.

Finding a local flier experienced in gas to give you some in-person help would also be a good idea.
Thanks!

There are several in my club (well, most really) who fly gas. We've got a huge, flat open field with no obstructions; literally for miles. Basically right in the middle of a very large farm. The only time it's challenging is when the cropdusting turboprops and helicopters sneak in from behind and you realize it's time to land NOW or that crop duster is gonna be picking balsa out of his inertial separator for a week! So in other words; it really seems to be mostly giant-scale gassers out here. But I wanted all of your opinions, too.

As far as the power board; I haven't ruled out not using it. That receiver you suggested is only a little bit more expensive than a power board; though I'd then have to add the additional electronics for the opto-kill. I just liked the power board because it was kind of an 'all in one' solution. Built in opto-kill, it does have a built in voltage regulator but since I'm running 6.6v LiFE batteries that's entirely moot (it will step down to 5v to the receiver which I suppose is helpful). It also has the dual-battery redundancy factor, and a fail-on switch configuration. It would also, in theory, work with Futaba servos with a Spektrum receiver without needing to grind the notches off of the plugs. But that's moot because I'm not. So I'm not married to the idea of the power board; I just liked the simplicity. Should I reconsider?

The original plan, and the one I posted above, was to use the AR610 receiver that came with my transmitter. But I think I'm going to invest in something more geared towards larger aircraft; even if it's further pushing the budget upwards. BUT; if I do as you suggest, then I'd end up not TOO much more expensively, if I nick the power board.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 04:16 AM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,950 Posts
Might want to check your Rx operating voltage specs, before deciding on 5 volt power.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by JeffinTD
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,776 Posts
I'm sure you will enjoy gas airplanes.

Is the Dx6 you mentioned the transmitter you will be using?
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:54 AM
Joined May 2006
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD View Post
I'm sure you will enjoy gas airplanes.

Is the Dx6 you mentioned the transmitter you will be using?
Yep.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:55 AM
Joined May 2006
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976 View Post
Might want to check your Rx operating voltage specs, before deciding on 5 volt power.
Spektrums operating voltage is as low as 3.5v with a "recommended" voltage of 4.8v. If I don't use the powerboard, it'll run at 6.6v (straight off of the battery); not likely to hurt it. If I did use the powerboard; it would feed it 5v consistently.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 01:03 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName Here View Post
Spektrums operating voltage is as low as 3.5v with a "recommended" voltage of 4.8v. If I don't use the powerboard, it'll run at 6.6v (straight off of the battery); not likely to hurt it. If I did use the powerboard; it would feed it 5v consistently.
Really?

Above 4.8v with all servos heavily loaded, minimum, right from the rx manual, if you proceed with your described plan, let us know how it goes.
Last edited by mike3976; Apr 21, 2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 09:39 PM
Joined May 2006
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976 View Post
Really?

Above 4.8v with all servos heavily loaded, minimum, right from the rx manual, if you proceed with your described plan, let us know how it goes.
Remember we're talking about just the receiver here. Since this is going through a power board; all the receiver needs to do is power the servos. They'll be getting 6.6v, and the receiver itself will be getting 5v. I think you might be under the impression that the receiver is powering the servos. The "point" of the powerboards regulator to the receiver is that it's consistent regardless of load or battery state. Voltage won't fluctuate as servos get loaded down, the receiver will get that consistent 5v. Personally, I don't think it matters that much; but that's "why", according to the guy I talked to who sells them, that it does that. The servos will be fed the same voltage as the battery back (unless you get the step-up model with the built in voltage regulator; unnecessary as I plan to run LiFe 6.6v batteries).