SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2004, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by mr_frogdude
Pheonix,AZ
Joined Jan 2004
154 Posts
Question
Anyone in North-western Glendale,AZ?

Does anyone fly gliders in Glendale Arizona...around 59th and greenway?

Just need to fly...

Mark
mr_frogdude is offline Find More Posts by mr_frogdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:56 AM
Find More Posts by Stavman
Glendale, AZ, Sun and MORE sun... One Hobbies and The Nitro Pit Supporter
Joined Nov 2009
348 Posts
We Fly at 70th ave and Orangewood Mark on monday am

Give us a shout

Stav
Stavman is offline Find More Posts by Stavman
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by serasbach
pǝʇɹǝʌuı
Arizona
Joined Oct 2009
139 Posts
Mark, if you don't fly Spektrum we have a group that meets up at a huge paved parking lot just south of Kellis High School (91st Ave/Orangewood). Some Spektrum radios have trouble at this spot with signal loss, otherwise you're welcome to join us. Saturdays around 8am.
serasbach is offline Find More Posts by serasbach
Old Dec 15, 2009, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by wsmorton
United States, HI, Pearl City
Joined Aug 2006
324 Posts
Serasbach:
I am familiar with that area and was wondering which direction you setup the high start and how long of a high start or winch you use? With all of the recent construction in that area, I would think that area would not be too glider friendly (traffic, apartments, shopping mall, etc...) I live at 91st Ave and Beardsley and have been looking for a place to fly close by. I have been looking at lots of places north of Bearsdsley and haven't really found any place to string out a long high start or winch for my 3 meter planes.

Scott
wsmorton is offline Find More Posts by wsmorton
Old Dec 15, 2009, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by bbbp
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,526 Posts
47th & Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_frogdude View Post
Does anyone fly gliders in Glendale Arizona...around 59th and greenway?

Just need to fly...

Mark
I fly my HLG at the park at 47th Ave & Paradise at times. It is a Phoenix park, so the Glendale No Fly rules do not apply. It is even big enough to fit the Phoenix rules for 2 meter and smaller planes.

Some days there are soccer kids in one corner, I usually am at the NE corner with my Lighthawk or Alula. Not great lift associated with this location, but its grassy.

Bob Parks
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Last edited by bbbp; Feb 03, 2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by Stavman
Glendale, AZ, Sun and MORE sun... One Hobbies and The Nitro Pit Supporter
Joined Nov 2009
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmorton View Post
Serasbach:
I am familiar with that area and was wondering which direction you setup the high start and how long of a high start or winch you use? With all of the recent construction in that area, I would think that area would not be too glider friendly (traffic, apartments, shopping mall, etc...) I live at 91st Ave and Beardsley and have been looking for a place to fly close by. I have been looking at lots of places north of Bearsdsley and haven't really found any place to string out a long high start or winch for my 3 meter planes.

Scott
Ya Scott... a 9' Plane is a bit much for our area for sure

At the 91st ave & Orangewood its mainly Parkflyers and Radian Gliders I guess. Ta set up a winch and all we have PLENTY of room, But not quite sure of the sscale of Room a 9' Glider needs, but i'd say we have a 5 acre square area ta work with

But!!! Id say come check us out for yourself, either way, you'll meet some GREAT guys just having fun... what the worst that could happen... ya MAY just buy a nice parkflyer Electric and join us

See ya

Stav
Stavman is offline Find More Posts by Stavman
Old Dec 20, 2009, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,736 Posts
Mark,

I live near the Arrowhead Mall but generally fly with a bunch of really nice guys about 15 miles NE of my home. This is Phoenix, of course, so the "Don't do anything in our parks but have a great time" motto of Glendale and Peoria doesn't exist. We do towing for scale models (electric Senior Telemaster owned by one of the guys), some DLG, Thermal Duration by winch or high-start, etc. etc. Some guys have smaller electric gliders but most of us are flying in the 3 - 4.5 meter range of sailplanes.

If interested send me a PM and a phone number and I'll get you set up with directions.

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:15 PM
Find More Posts by FlightofPhx
Joined Feb 2015
3 Posts
Sorry to revive an old post, guys. But, do you all still fly in these areas? I am in the Arrowhead area and just getting into the hobby. I am looking for parks to fly in. I am not interested in joining AMPS yet as I have no desire to fly nitro planes. I heard some people fly at ASU West also. Has anyone heard of that?
FlightofPhx is offline Find More Posts by FlightofPhx
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by bbbp
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,526 Posts
To reiterate, Glendale and Peoria have a city wide no fly rule.

47th & paradise lane is small yet usable. I usually fly my DLG at Roveen and 25th avenue.

A very nice area for larger sailplanes is in Surprise, at Litchfield Road and West Acoma Ave, between Waddell (Thunderbird) and Greenway. There is a grass field on the north and a large cleared lot to the south.

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp