New Products Flash Sale

The Albatross UAV - Kickstarter Project

Composite UAV Looking for Funding

Splash

Affordable Pro Level Aerial Systems Platform

Here's a cool Kickstarter project that aims to bring professional level UAV's to the market at affordable hobby price points. The Albatross is a 3M wingspan, dual boom, all composite airframe that is efficient across a wide speed range and is suitable for many uses. This will be used both professionally as well as for hobby guys who want a killer composite FPV ship. It looks great and there is tons of room for your gear. As of this writing there are 22 days left to get in on the project and they are at $22,272 on a $30,000 goal so it looks like they will easily hit their funding goal. Check out the Albatross Kickerstarter Page.

Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by rclab1
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
5,055 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2268638
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Mar 30, 2015, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by peternickelson
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2014
72 Posts
Saw the ad here on RCG (love ads here on RCG) looks great, and not a bad price for such a well built airframe!
peternickelson is offline Find More Posts by peternickelson
Old Mar 30, 2015, 03:27 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
5,055 Posts
That "breakdown and assembly" is funny,
we all know our FPV gear is going to sticking out of the wings, the fuselage
and so forth, its going to be hard fitting those broken down plane pieces into that suitcase.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 06:27 PM
Find More Posts by AppliedAero
Joined May 2014
11 Posts
Thanks for the support RCG!

rclab1; We install our antennas in a way that makes them easily removable. In our experience, even with the smallest foam airframes it was wise to take off our expensive and fragile antennas during transport. The case is a great addition, and we can't imagine having to transport a 3m airframe that couldn't be broken down as easily as the Albatross. This being said, we felt it was necessary to develop an easy and affordable case. The Albatross breaks down into 8 major pieces (1x fuselage, 2x tail booms, 2x tails, and 3x wing panels), and we felt that the case would be a huge asset to manage all the pieces.

On our main workhorse airframe, we have a 3DR telemetry radio antenna (taken out of the whip and installed in a custom fairing), 433mhz antenna, and FPV gear. the 433 antenna bends and folds very easily, the telemetry is so small it doesn't cause a problem, and we simply remove our FPV antennas. Our transmitters and receivers are all entirely contained inside the airframe (or wing compartments). As with anything, it is entirely dependent on how the customer builds his/her Albatross.
AppliedAero is offline Find More Posts by AppliedAero
Old Mar 31, 2015, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by fATAL
United States, GA, Augusta
Joined Dec 2014
198 Posts
How'd you manage to make your HD Vid TX for just 500 bucks? whats the range of the video, Im guessing its digital encode over analog ? When will specs and video review be released?
fATAL is offline Find More Posts by fATAL
Old Mar 31, 2015, 03:12 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fATAL View Post
How'd you manage to make your HD Vid TX for just 500 bucks? whats the range of the video, Im guessing its digital encode over analog ? When will specs and video review be released?
I don't think there is such a thing, if there is, the video distance will be lousy
for a plane of this caliber.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by Uncle Amir
United States, OK, Stillwater
Joined Aug 2012
22 Posts
This looks fantastic. I have been eagerly awaiting a "reasonably" priced full composite UAV platform (thats not a huggins) and it looks like it might be here. Now to scrape up some money..
Uncle Amir is offline Find More Posts by Uncle Amir
Old Mar 31, 2015, 05:52 PM
Joined May 2014
11 Posts
Hello All, Yes the encrypted HD link is real. It is a high power HD video transmitter and receiver with hardware encoding and decoding on both ends that enables a latency of 100-130 ms (3 frames). Operating in the 5.8 ghz frequency with diversity antennas that are circularly polarized in opposite directions to create a large degree of antenna separation and maximize the use of a MIMO (multi in multi out) to increase range and robustness. Range can be increased by using directional antennas and the video can be accessed directly from the receiver or by using a computer.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 06:26 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedAero View Post
Hello All, Yes the encrypted HD link is real. It is a high power HD video transmitter and receiver with hardware encoding and decoding on both ends that enables a latency of 100-130 ms (3 frames). Operating in the 5.8 ghz frequency with diversity antennas that are circularly polarized in opposite directions to create a large degree of antenna separation and maximize the use of a MIMO (multi in multi out) to increase range and robustness. Range can be increased by using directional antennas and the video can be accessed directly from the receiver or by using a computer.

How far can that freq go?
Distance will be reached very quickly with that freq and out of range
very quick specially with a big plane like this one.

p.s.
what did your testings show?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
712 Posts
are you having any rf blockage from the carbon fiber airframe?
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Mar 31, 2015, 06:49 PM
Joined May 2014
11 Posts
RC, you are right in that it certainly isn't the system for ultimate range. That being said, the range you actually achieve has too many variables. We all know that FPV success has much to do with the set up, antenna choice, sound floor, installation, etc. The System is not intended strictly for the Albatross by any means. In fact, that would be extremely inhibiting to both the airframe and the system. The HD system will work great for those in aerial filming utilizing multi's etc.

P.I.Engineer, the airframe is not solid CF. Carbon fiber is used strategically throughout the structure to maintain strength, low weight, and minimal RF interference. Even the honey comb skin is more RF transparent than traditional fiberglass (although only slightly). The component bays in the center wing are designed to minimize RF interference. This being said, it is suggested that your antenna remain external of the airframe as well. In regards to the most common interior mounted communications (GPS, etc) the canopy is fiberglass, and ideal GPS location is right before the "step" on the shelving, or in front of the removable tray near the nose landing gear. We have been getting plenty of range with both APM telemetry units, 433 UHF, and various data transmission and or video transmission devices.
Old Apr 01, 2015, 12:03 AM
Find More Posts by fATAL
United States, GA, Augusta
Joined Dec 2014
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedAero View Post
Applied Aeronautics I can read your website, I want to know how you do it, and your tested range.
fATAL is offline Find More Posts by fATAL
Old Apr 01, 2015, 08:28 AM
Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
712 Posts
thank you, this plane is looking really good for a project i'm working on. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

good luck to you guys.

portability is always my #1 requirement.
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Apr 01, 2015, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by WhyFlyHigh
Joined Apr 2015
12 Posts
This thing is ridiculously cool! From what I can tell, a complete steal of a deal as well!

I was just about to pull the trigger on an Anaconda, but now I am totally lost. I think I might just have to go for an Albatross.....

Aghhhh! The hardest life decisions......
WhyFlyHigh is offline Find More Posts by WhyFlyHigh