New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2015, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by PatrikC
Joined Feb 2014
30 Posts
Help!
APM 10pin IC blown for literally no reason

Hi everybody!

I just connected my 1 month old ReadyToFlyer 2.8 (set up as a 2.6) to my computer via USB and it was all working normally. I have not flown it for about 2 weeks, and wanted to prepare for a flying tomorrow. I disconnected the USB cable and connected my LiPo, and when connecting there was a big spark at the connection, and smoke was coming out of the APM! I have done absolutely nothing with this board since I flew it 2 weeks ago, and it was all working over USB, but now it blew up. The 10S power module from HobbyKing is delivering a pure 5.14v.

Here is a picture showing the defective APM

As you may see, the 10pin IC on the right side of the 2560 has blown, but I don't get why! Actually, when I connected an older APM I have laying around a few minutes after this incident, that board worked flawlessly! HERE and HERE are pictures showing the other APM, connected EXACTLY as the now defective ReadyToFlyer, and it works without any problems at all!

I appreciate every single answer! Thank you very much!
PatrikC is offline Find More Posts by PatrikC
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2015, 09:38 AM
Find More Posts by PatrikC
Joined Feb 2014
30 Posts
If someone is able to tell me what went wrong here and how to fix this (I guess I should be able to replace this part with an hot air station) I can surely give a few dollars via PayPal to you!
PatrikC is offline Find More Posts by PatrikC
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
1,011 Posts
As other APM's work then there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the system and its wiring and I doubt you will ever find out what went wrong. The part could have just failed - I can't identify the component part number so can't comment other than to say parts do fail.

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrikC View Post
Hi everybody!

I just connected my 1 month old ReadyToFlyer 2.8 (set up as a 2.6) to my computer via USB and it was all working normally. I have not flown it for about 2 weeks, and wanted to prepare for a flying tomorrow. I disconnected the USB cable and connected my LiPo, and when connecting there was a big spark at the connection, and smoke was coming out of the APM! I have done absolutely nothing with this board since I flew it 2 weeks ago, and it was all working over USB, but now it blew up. The 10S power module from HobbyKing is delivering a pure 5.14v.

Here is a picture showing the defective APM

As you may see, the 10pin IC on the right side of the 2560 has blown, but I don't get why! Actually, when I connected an older APM I have laying around a few minutes after this incident, that board worked flawlessly! HERE and HERE are pictures showing the other APM, connected EXACTLY as the now defective ReadyToFlyer, and it works without any problems at all!

I appreciate every single answer! Thank you very much!
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon