New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2015, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by ren3
Joined Nov 2005
15 Posts
Discussion
Futaba S9156 Digital servo

In a previous post here, Futaba tech service said that the S9156, while digital, is not programmable. The "digital" only refers to the pulses controlling the motor. I am trying to use an S9156 to control a trim tab on a 60" sailboat keel. I only want 2-3 degrees of deflection from center, and the servo will be in a "Y" harness with the S9156 servo controlling the rudder which will have it's normal end points. Is it possible to use an inline servo end point controller such as the one from ServoCity? I know that this controller is designed for analog servos, but where does analog and digital separate. I am trying to use the S9156s because I want the high torque available with their small physical size. Thanks for your help. Bob.
ren3 is offline Find More Posts by ren3
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2015, 04:11 AM
Find More Posts by MattyB
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren3 View Post
In a previous post here, Futaba tech service said that the S9156, while digital, is not programmable. The "digital" only refers to the pulses controlling the motor. I am trying to use an S9156 to control a trim tab on a 60" sailboat keel. I only want 2-3 degrees of deflection from center, and the servo will be in a "Y" harness with the S9156 servo controlling the rudder which will have it's normal end points. Is it possible to use an inline servo end point controller such as the one from ServoCity? I know that this controller is designed for analog servos, but where does analog and digital separate. I am trying to use the S9156s because I want the high torque available with their small physical size. Thanks for your help. Bob.
Why not put the main rudder and trim tab servos on separate channels, and control everything with the appropriate mixes and end points in the TX? Far easier and a more optimal control setup too.
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:55 AM
Find More Posts by ren3
Joined Nov 2005
15 Posts
Matty, thanks for the suggestion. I have a feeling that I will have to do that, but the idea originally was to have the trim tab deflect ever so slightly when the rudder was actuated without affecting full rudder throw. The America's Cup boat Courageous used this system in the seventies, and my hull is a model of it. Even if I use a third channel on my Futaba 3EGX radio that has been converted to 2.4GHz Faast Futaba, I do not know if I can control the trim tab rotation to only 2-3 degrees. Bob.
ren3 is offline Find More Posts by ren3