Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jul 18, 2016, 07:15 AM
Find More Posts by RaceMag
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Feb 2016
40 Posts
Discussion
Is Hydrostone still used?

I need to make a series of wings, some 1600mm span x 400mm chord and another two 150mm chord and I'm looking for a reasonable mould material. I know epoxy 'Corian' is the current choice of many, but I suspect that I'll only ever make 1 -3 wings, so I am looking for a cheaper alternative. On the weekend it was suggested that waxed Hydrostone could do the job and another mentioned using hydrocal 30 with CSM reinforcement. Have members of this forum used this material for this purpose and what details do I need to be aware of if using the material?
I will be vac bagging the layup to the mould.
RaceMag is online now Find More Posts by RaceMag
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:33 PM
Find More Posts by TLHover
DLG Bug Bit Me
Australia, NSW, Wauchope
Joined Jan 2012
549 Posts
I've just made my first molds with hydro cal alternative for a fuselage.
I intend to try a hollow molded wing down the track and don't see why the same stuff can't be used.
TLHover is offline Find More Posts by TLHover
Old Jul 20, 2016, 03:34 AM
Find More Posts by RaceMag
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Feb 2016
40 Posts
Thanks for that input, much appreciated. How long did the mould take to dry out?
RaceMag is online now Find More Posts by RaceMag
Old Jul 20, 2016, 06:22 AM
Find More Posts by TLHover
DLG Bug Bit Me
Australia, NSW, Wauchope
Joined Jan 2012
549 Posts
It dried out in a couple of days sun and next to our wood heater.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2254757&page=2
See post 26 for results. I haven't made any parts yet, just sealed and ready. I do believe it's strong enough for a bladder.
TLHover is offline Find More Posts by TLHover