Old May 05, 2016, 09:20 AM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
The Self Confuser
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
18,107 Posts
Cool
Why are DLGs so expensive? Part II

Any time a thread is closed down after just a few days I have an unquenchable desire to open a part 2 thread.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2016, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by ThomasLee
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
4,262 Posts
I think it showed the intentions of the first thread on how it was ended.
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vibe Assembly Instructions
Old May 05, 2016, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by tom43004
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
8,310 Posts
So much for the last word. LOL
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old May 05, 2016, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by Wave Glider
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,932 Posts
This is why we keep you around Ryan
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
Old May 05, 2016, 09:28 AM
Find More Posts by Scrib
DLG Addict
United States, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Aug 2011
798 Posts
Yeah, wait! I didn't get to show my a$$ yet!

Ok, I feel better now.

I love DLGs and I love this forum.

We're all pretty much nerds of a feather, just throwing that out there for perspective.

Jason
Scrib is offline Find More Posts by Scrib
Old May 05, 2016, 09:28 AM
The Self Confuser
Joined Feb 2004
18,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
I think it showed the intentions of the first thread on how it was ended.
There was a lot of good info being shared by you and some other folks.

And still some potential for good comedy.

Ryan
Old May 05, 2016, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by austinhlg
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Feb 2007
1,091 Posts
Conspiracy theories about DLG overlords. Tee hee hee. Too bad they live in the shadows and you can' talk to them or get them to answer your questions. Oh wait that's you guys....
austinhlg is online now Find More Posts by austinhlg
Old May 05, 2016, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
9,766 Posts
I think the premise was if this and that, the prices would be cheaper and if we'd all just cooperate to make this and that happen, then top line DLGs would be cheaper. The problem is that's just wishful thinking and not reality.

We've been down this line of discussion a number of times here at RCG and that's why some of the comments were what they were. They weren't a personal slam so much as an expression of frustration.

The idea that DLG prices are "artificially high" can be just as insulting to the guys here that make them as anything anyone else in that thread said but those of us that have been here in online discussions for awhile have grown a thicker skin. We understand that you need to give people the benefit of the doubt when not speaking to them in person. Too much is lost without voice inflections and facial expressions.

The lesson here is that this is a friendly group, by in large. Don't let yourself get too easily offended and don't be offensive when communicating with someone here. This goes for more people than just those involved in THIS discussion.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old May 05, 2016, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by mnowell129
I'm not as bad as they say.
Joined Nov 2004
4,765 Posts
I think there is a new game possible.
Be the one that causes the thread to be slammed shut.
Score:
Seid : 1
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old May 05, 2016, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by prodjx
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Jan 2007
5,350 Posts
First let me say that I worked at Grumman's Advanced Composite's Facility for 27 year's so I think I know what I'm talking about. After some mistake in a lay-up, whatever it might be we'd just make another hey the government was paying for it. Make a mistake in manufacturing any composite glider and the builder is paying for it. So the model has to be right the first time. And then there's the money for the raw material and it's storage. This list could go on but I think you get the point.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
Old May 05, 2016, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by tom43004
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
8,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I think the premise was if this and that, the prices would be cheaper and if we'd all just cooperate to make this and that happen, then top line DLGs would be cheaper. The problem is that's just wishful thinking and not reality.
He apparently wasn't around when I shared all of my methods, my toolpaths, my videos, and even my molds with several people (Jeff, Austin, Phil and others) to try to get people making interoperable parts to build these things.

I even shared my whole last design. *sigh again*
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old May 05, 2016, 10:05 AM
Find More Posts by austinhlg
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Feb 2007
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
He apparently wasn't around when I shared all of my methods, my toolpaths, my videos, and even my molds with several people (Jeff, Austin, Phil and others) to try to get people making interoperable parts to build these things.

I even shared my whole last design. *sigh again*
Nope. Not enough. I can't make a dlg for <500$ without giving my time away using your methods. Try harder Tom. Try Harder.
austinhlg is online now Find More Posts by austinhlg
Old May 05, 2016, 10:06 AM
The Self Confuser
Joined Feb 2004
18,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
The problem is that's just wishful thinking and not reality.
I don't think we have scratched the surface yet on the non reality portion.

Speaking of which, the OP of the other thread said something in a later post that gave me an idea that I think could net us RTF Snipe quality DLGs for 1-200.

Ryan
Old May 05, 2016, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by DougCorrigan
Joined Dec 2009
37 Posts
Hey thanks for starting another thread. Like many here I have been flying RC (And FS) all of my life. Till recently Ive flown mostly at the sport level and sent an email about the high cost of RC gliders to one of the Soaring editors at AMA. His response surprised me because he compared the cost of competitive designs from the 80s with prices today and (Adjusted for wages and inflation of course) RC Soaring is actually GETTING CHEAPER. Granted, it is tuff to spend a grand on a 1.5M glider when a 3M ship is not that much more. I think this shows where much of the R&D and advances are in the sport of RC Soaring.
I liken this to FS soaring where a current racing ship costs as much as a house in many parts of the country (Ask how I know this). FS is a cottage industry (280-300 units a year worldwide) and labor intensive with R&D cost spread over limited production, Just like RC.
Another parallel between FS and RC is that flying a late model FS is like throwing a Snipe, Right away you know where your money went
DougCorrigan is offline Find More Posts by DougCorrigan
Old May 05, 2016, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
dare to thermal
Mannheim, Germany
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
IMO itīs nearly the same work needed whether you build a 1.5m DLG or a 3m F3X composite plane. A few bucks less for material and the mold. If you canīt change the technology really significant in terms of more output and less costs, why should prices go down.
Everyone who has designed and build a complete plane knows how many hours are needed, before you can start building. Do you want to work for 20$ per hour???

m2c /Bernd
Bernd Brunner is offline Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner