New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:39 PM
Find More Posts by Digital Don
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
1,056 Posts
Discussion
Just when I thought it was safe...

I figured I was pretty much done with indoor WWI planes after finding, building, and flying all four of E-Flite's discontinued slow flyers.

But look what showed up on my doorstep today! A stray 'Pup'!

Similar in construction to the E-Filte planes, but less molded-in detail. I'm sure it will look just fine in the air though.

Don
Digital Don is online now Find More Posts by Digital Don
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2015, 01:24 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,880 Posts
Very cool fleet of WW1 birds.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Aug 19, 2015, 07:28 AM
Find More Posts by rammon3
Andover, NH
United States, NH, Andover
Joined Jan 2013
232 Posts
Now you need an Albatros
rammon3 is offline Find More Posts by rammon3
Old Aug 19, 2015, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by slow and low
Parkflyer
United States, IL, Eureka
Joined Dec 2014
304 Posts
Well let's see............. how many WW1 birds are in the Electrifly series............
slow and low is offline Find More Posts by slow and low
Old Aug 19, 2015, 07:18 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,056 Posts
I know Electrifly did offer some larger biplanes, but I think only the Pup and maybe a Tiger Moth (which isn't from WWI) were available as indoor flyers...

I hope I'm not wrong. I don't want to have to begin another 'impossible search'!

Of course an Albatros would be nice...

Don
Old Aug 19, 2015, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by Donodo
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
2,526 Posts
Hey Don,

Where did you get those awesome WWI planes? Your's look amazing!

Don
Donodo is online now Find More Posts by Donodo
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:16 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donodo View Post
Hey Don,

Where did you get those awesome WWI planes? Your's look amazing!

Don
Hi Don,

Thanks for the kind words! Some time ago E-Flite offered four slow-flyer biplanes - a JN-4Jenny, Fokker D.VII, a Nieuport 17, and an S.E.5a. For whatever reason, they were discontinued several years ago.

I happened across two of them - the Jenny and the Fokker - in a local hobby shop and bought them. That started me on my 'quest'. I found the Nieuport in an online hobby shop in Michigan and a kind fellow R/C Groups member sold me the S.E.5a. I've attached larger pictures of the individual planes below.

They are neat models, but rather fragile. I think of them as "one hit wonders" - one hit and I'll wonder what happened!

If you have any interest in them, check the Classifieds. There was a Fokker, a Jenny, and an S.E.5a for sale over the past couple of days!

Don
Old Aug 20, 2015, 08:37 AM
Find More Posts by Donodo
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
2,526 Posts
Hi Don, yes they are really beautifully built by you. Thanks for posting larger pics, they all look awesome. Sadly I've been out of the hobby the past 6-7 years. I'll check the classifieds with the hopes of scoring one of them.

Don
Donodo is online now Find More Posts by Donodo
Old Sep 09, 2015, 07:57 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,056 Posts
I finished the Pup last week but I always wait until after the maiden flight to take pictures. Just in case... The maiden - on an indoor soccer filed - was successful so here's the Pup!

The manual suggested taping(?) the cowling to the fuselage but I added three balsa tabs soaked with CA to the firewall so I could use screws for attachment. The manual also suggested adding Velcro inside the battery compartment. But since the compartment is narrow, I was afraid of damaging the structure when removing the battery so I looped a strap of double-sided Velcro around the engine mount and glued a small square to the landing gear mount. It worked great!

The kit didn't come with any armament so I made a Vickers machine gun using plastic tubing and foam. The kit did come with a foam profile pilot, but I managed to find another profile pilot who bears a striking resemblance to yours truly, poor fellow...

The Pup flew great with a 450 mAh 2S and the recommended Rimfire 250 (which I thought was kind of pricey) and 8x6 prop gave more than enough power.

I liked the way the cabane struts locked in place in the fuselage - a nicer setup than some of the E-Flite WWI planes, but the Pup's foam is not as detailed. It's a definite keeperthough!

Too bad this kit was discontinued several years ago.

Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Sep 10, 2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 07:15 AM
Find More Posts by slow and low
Parkflyer
United States, IL, Eureka
Joined Dec 2014
304 Posts
She looks very nice Don, well done.

BTW, if you can get down to Galesburg this week, the trip is well worth it. National Stearman Fly-in....... your AMA card gets you in restricted zones.
slow and low is offline Find More Posts by slow and low
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:31 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,056 Posts
Thanks for the kind words and for letting me know about Galesburg!

I actually saw three Stearmans flying over my house a couple of days ago. Now I know why!

Don