SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 21, 2007, 09:08 PM
Foam Master
Joined Nov 2007
845 Posts
Discussion
VQ Delta Rocket

anyone have more info on this wing? like motor esc battery recommendations http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/159905.asp
anyairrc is offline Find More Posts by anyairrc
Last edited by anyairrc; Aug 07, 2008 at 09:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2007, 09:59 AM
Foam Master
Joined Nov 2007
845 Posts
Well I ordered it, any one else have one or know anything about it PLEASE!!!
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:01 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
All I know is it looks cool and I have never seen it before. Good luck with it and keep us posted on how it does!

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:17 AM
Trying to defy gravity...
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Here's something I found investigating the name of the manufacturer:

http://mikegoesflying.wordpress.com/...installment-1/

Jimsky
jimsky is offline Find More Posts by jimsky
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:35 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyairrc
anyone have more info on this wing? like motor esc battery recommendations http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/159905.asp
nemesis4u is a VQ dealer and has been one for some time. Shoot him a PM

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Aug 06, 2008, 09:25 AM
Foam Master
Joined Nov 2007
845 Posts
9 months later I finally started on this little guy. Sorry to all who where waiting on me, the kit is very nice and the covering is very good. I'll keep everyone posted as I get more done. I plan on flying it this weekend, if I don't get to lazy to build.
Old Aug 07, 2008, 09:24 AM
Foam Master
Joined Nov 2007
845 Posts
Ok I take back what I said about the covering. It looked good in the bag in my garage but when I brought it inside to build it the covering was fairly lose and wrinkly. The build went fast only about 2.5 hours. I should get to test fly it this weekend and post some video stay tuned!

edit: The decals are from many kits I have built in the past.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:51 PM
Crash - Rebuild - Repeat
Atlanta, GA
Joined Aug 2007
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyairrc
. I should get to test fly it this weekend and post some video stay tuned!
Yes yes....and........how'd it go??

I've got one sitting next to my hobby desk. Thinking about whether I should build it now...or after I re-fiberglass my Speedwing 250mkII. I'm also thinking of putting an ARC 27-47-2 motor in it, with a 65Amp ESC and run a 4S2200, and if I can balance it out....I have a 5S2200 that will fit it too. Might slide a gyro in it to stabilize it if I get it over 140MPH Assuming...it survives that kind of speed

-Eric
efether is offline Find More Posts by efether
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:14 AM
Foam Master
Joined Nov 2007
845 Posts
Oh hey... I forgot to post! I have been busy with my huge F-117 build, anyway it flew great! I only had 70 watts in it but it jammed. The wing locator peg in the front of the wing wasn't glued in well on mine and I almost lost the wing in an outside loop!! Here is a video

VQ Delta Rocket (3 min 12 sec)
Old Aug 20, 2008, 03:04 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,621 Posts
Nice flight characteristics! Excellent landing.

What kind of equipment do you have in it? (motor, prop, ESC, servos, battery?)
cjbucher is online now Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Aug 20, 2008, 04:04 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Yeah, could you post the radio gear you have in it?

Also, is that as long as it can fly, or can it fly for much longer?

And nice spot on landing. The only actual green patch in the entire field
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 01, 2008, 09:09 AM
Crash - Rebuild - Repeat
Atlanta, GA
Joined Aug 2007
500 Posts
Well, my VQ Delta Rocket died a horrible death on her maiden flight. She's in the trash now...and here's my impression of this plane:

1. The motor mount sucks. I ended up cutting out a piece of ply and mounting my motor on it and then epoxying it to the rear of the plane. If you want to mount a motor inside, it has to have a diameter of no more than 20mm. A 24mm inrunner wouldn't fit...no matter how I tried...it wouldn't fit. I even shaved down the balsa and reinforced with c/f...but the joiner brace that holds the bolt for the fuse refused to cooperate when I screwed the motor into place. Had to glue it back into place after I removed the motor. SO...external only unless it's a small inrunner.

2. The lower vertical stabilizers are flimsy. WAY too flimsy to be hanging off the bottom of a plane with no gear. I didn't expect them to survive any landing but the most gentle.

3. The upper vertical stabilizers were suppose to be canted at about 120 degrees...yet the slits cut in the fuse were at 90 degree.

4. The servo mounts are too shallow to stand a servo upright, and too deep to lay it down. I thought this was an ugly arrangement. One that had your servos exposed to both the wind...and if the lower vertical stabilizers gave way (and they will)...to the earth on landings.

5. The plane is hard to balance. All Deltas are. And considering the fragile nature of the plane (especially the lower vertical stabs)...I was uncomfortable doing a power off glide, which is how I get my wings balanced. So....while it balanced according to the cg in the manual...take off proved otherwise.

So....reason for crash? Two things:

1. Was tail heavy, which made it VERY unstable.

2. I had too much throw on the elevons. I had them tamed down with the radio at 30% throw and 40% expo...but on launch, it displayed traits of a tail heavy plane, and when I tried to control the waffling....I over corrected because of too much throw and it was just too low to the ground.

On impact...it disintegrated. I could probably put it back together if I wanted to spend the time and effort....but personally....I didn't feel like putting the time into a plane that would probably do the same thing on the next launch.

End of thread for me. Good luck to any and all who own or are considering this plane.

-Eric
efether is offline Find More Posts by efether
Old Sep 01, 2008, 09:36 AM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,115 Posts
I bought one and my question is how to launch it? I have a high rpm inrunner I managed to fit inside without it hiting the wing mount screw, but the big issue is launching it at power without cutting your arm to shreds on the prop as it leaves your hand.

Mine crashed on maiden, since my technique was to throw it up at 45 degrees then hit the power. This sort worked with an ultrafly BA jet, pusher but should probably be done in a field of 3 foot tall grass, since it depends a lot on which way it is pointed when the power spools up.

I am going to put it together again and try to make a bungee launcher. I see from the video it doies indeed fly. I would try making landing gear and try ROG, except how do you steer it on the ground with elevons?

Mine has a little prop, a 5 inch by 2 1/2 pitch. I think with a bigger pro maybe an underhand toss will work. Maybe I'll try to get someone else to hurl it for me. I will give thenm a leather glove to wear.
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old Sep 01, 2008, 10:15 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
These things aren't that hard to launch. Hold it at the CG, throttle up to about half, and give it a good firm toss forward, making sure that the plane goes straight. This way, the momentum from your theow pushes your hand out of the way.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 30, 2008, 04:57 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
hey guys, i wanted to post my Delta Rocket since this seems to be the thread for it, i have not launched the bird yet but i will today and post a video, its supped up with an Axi 2212/12 motor, 50 amp BESC, 6.55 prop and 3S 2100 lipo, it should hit the 110MPH mark
here it is
littlephoenix is offline Find More Posts by littlephoenix