HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2014, 06:23 AM
NITRO !
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,530 Posts
Tassie Mike ,

IMPRESSIVE ! Thanks for the link .

I am all the more eager to get mine going .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2014, 06:39 PM
Joined Sep 2014
1 Posts
Tower .61 Gas-glow

Warning! Do not try this unless you are ready to possibly hurt your engine.
While searching for the G5 plug I found a video on You Tube(www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vPjmw7Cz6k0 of someone runing a ST2500 on gas using a glowplug.This was before OS. Did not say what plug. Ran with problems with a pump carb. Said a smaller engine ran fine with the igniter left on. I ran my Tower 61(reg. carb) on gas with a Fox idlebar plug. I will try different plugs. OS if i can ever get one. Had to keep the battery on. Thats OK, I will just have an onboard battery. Plug was not hurt in any way. It was very rich with the same glow setting, but it started(flipping) and kept running. It did not sound rich, so I tried leaning and richer and had to lean a lot. It sounded good. I have not tached or flown it yet. The idle mix did not need to be reset. I was using 87 regular gas16-1 or 8% non synthetic outboard. Only ran it a minute or so at full throttle. Ran very cool and it is very free, unlike castor. I did not take it apart, but rocking I could not feel a loose con. O f course it should wear out the con. bearing. I will run it and see. I have been running glow engines for 60 years and no one said to use gas. So far so good. I am still shaking my head. Wild. HK #3 glow plug did not work. Started OK. Fox long idlebar so far is the only one. It runs like regular alcohol glow fuel. Ether(starting fluid) might be added to the gas to get it to run with out the battery. Since no wear right away, I will have to run a gallon or more. It will take a lot of time. So I might not update for awhile.
I am using the .60 to test the worst case. Small crank pin. I will try a ST4500. I have been running 10-12% oil with Methanol. 8% oil with gas should not hurt it. I will also try a Ryobi at 32-1 to see if less oil makes it run without the battery connected.
I think this is artificial pre-ignition. If a piece of carbon is in a gas cylinder, it may start to glow. It may fire the cylinder before the sparkplug. It will fire advanced of normal timing, which may hurt the engine. Here the timing is adjusted by the mixture, so it does not hurt anything.
saturn13 is offline Find More Posts by saturn13
Last edited by saturn13; Sep 28, 2014 at 05:57 AM. Reason: New Info