HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:49 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
Discussion
mach 3 or usb motion controller

hi guys i bough a cnc router off a friend and i am at a decision stage. he ran it off a desktop running mach 3 to control the router. well i do most of my design on my laptop which does not have a parallel port so i cant hook up to my laptop. so i do have a desktop i could use.

so my question is which should i use. mach 3 or a usb motion controller. both options will cost about the same. my plan for this router is just basic kit cutting
rotccapt is offline Find More Posts by rotccapt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:11 AM
Hegra, Norway
Joined Feb 2007
142 Posts
Hi,
I run my router by laptop using mach3 and the Smoothstepper usb. Mach3 has a wide user following, and the SS works great with the latest firmware. Remember to turn off power saving stuff on the computer, and always have usb power on.
Before I got everything working, I also looked into USBCNC
A cheaper alternative might be Planet CNC

Please tell us how this goes :-)

Lars
LN-JET is offline Find More Posts by LN-JET
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:26 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
i was planning on using the planet cnc controller we will see this is still a long ways from being ready to do anything. i will need to rewire the whole thing because it is not up to my liking
rotccapt is offline Find More Posts by rotccapt