HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:22 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,407 Posts
Build Log
Penut size rubber powered wing

Here's something a bit different. An indoor rubber powered wing.

I often use the online CG calculators as the starting point for designing wings. Here's a CG calculator link for the basic design parameters: http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/?wing_span=14&...ow_mac_lines=0

Based on Norm's advise I decided to start with a 5 degree twist and just build a prototype and see how it flies. I'll adjust the plans later if necessary.

Here's the "final" version of the plans for the prototype. The actual "final" plan will only be finalized once I've got it flying successfully. It's a pusher in case it's not clear from the plans.

-----
note: updated to include the latest plan.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
Last edited by slebetman; Jan 27, 2013 at 09:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,407 Posts
Mounted the plan onto a building board. Tacked templates onto sheet balsa with spray mount. And cut out the ribs. That's it for tonight.

I'm using 1mm balsa for everything. That's actually roughly 1/24" but my balsa is fairly heavy. With good, light balsa you can use 1/16 or 1/20.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:11 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,325 Posts
Do you think it might be worth trying without dihedral/ wing tips?I've had good results from similar wings with just the twist.
Regards Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Do you think it might be worth trying without dihedral/ wing tips?I've had good results from similar wings with just the twist.
Regards Stuart
In my experience, free flight wings would spiral without dihedral. It would fly straight OK but free flight planes are usually trimmed to do circles. It may be worth a try though because I just realized that putting in the dihedral risks undoing the twist.

I missed a trick there. Should have baked in the dihedral into the templates the same way I did the twist.

I think I'll try without dihedral first. Found this model of a Lippish Storch that has practically zero dihedral and it seems to fly quite well:

There's a video of it on this page (scroll to somewhere in the middle): http://www.ffscale.co.uk/page3ii.htm
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Mar 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slebetman View Post
In my experience, free flight wings would spiral without dihedral. It would fly straight OK but free flight planes are usually trimmed to do circles. It may be worth a try though because I just realized that putting in the dihedral risks undoing the twist.
The sweep contributes a dihedral effect, reducing the need for geometric dihedral.
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,407 Posts
Got a lot done today. Wings built and covered. There's an error in the plans. The trailing edge of the ribs don't line up properly. I'll fix it later. For this build I just cut a few of the rib supports to get the trailing edge to line up.

Progress pics:
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:51 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,325 Posts
Nice work! Have you decided on rubber/prop dimensions?
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:32 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Nice work! Have you decided on rubber/prop dimensions?
Prop will be 5" with a pitch of about 33 degrees. I'll try a 12" loop of 1/16 rubber first.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:49 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
thick & thin

The Wright Bros. used data they gathered from their own small wind-tunnel. As a result, they copied and merely greatly enlarged the wing-form shown to work best in their small-sized tunnel. HOWEVER, they were not aware of Reynold's work which was published a half-century earlier.

The small which worked best in their small tunnel were THIN, like a butterfly's. So on their man-carrying craft they had to use TWO thin wings with canterlever support from wires for strength.

It wasn't until Tony Fokker discovered that thick wings not only could contain the canterlever structure ... but actually WORKED much better [L/D] at fullsize speed & size.

Your wings are far too thick for best performance at "rubber-powered Peanut" size ....!!

Look at the wings of similar-sized rubber models with excellent performance:

http://marinaero.blogspot.ch/2008/08...ed-flight.html

http://www.oocities.org/capecanaveral/1245/sportrbr.htm

http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/plane/index.htm

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:25 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,424 Posts
It may not be optimized but it'll fly well enough to get the idea.

Slebetman, that model of the Storch flies OK due to the wing being mounted up on struts so the 3D Center of Gravity is well below the lift point. That produces a pendulum like stability. The shoulder wing mount of this model will do this to some extent. But you may well find that you end up needing SOME dihedral to be added unless you can fly it in a rather big circle.

A rule of thumb I've read of in the past is that 30 degrees of sweep equates to about the same roll stability as 5 degrees of real dihedral.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:12 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
It may not be optimized but it'll fly well enough to get the idea.
In this size, w.r.t. endurance, penetration and even stability, thick vs thin wings > BIG difference!

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Last edited by xlcrlee; Dec 22, 2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: clarity
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Mar 2008
638 Posts
slebetman ... keep at it, am interested to see your results!!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Mar 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
I strongly disagree: my 65+ years of model plane design & building tells me distinctly otherwise, esp. in this size, w.r.t. endurance, penetration and even stability > BIG difference!
Lee, perhaps you should read this site about logical fallacies. Appeal to authority = fail.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:48 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,680 Posts
Another fallback would be the Worlds Foremost Authority, aka Prof Irwin Corey.
http://www.irwincorey.org/

At least he was a comedian.
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:38 PM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Another fallback would be the Worlds Foremost Authority, aka Prof Irwin Corey.
http://www.irwincorey.org/

At least he was a comedian.
Carlo Godel also called himself "the world's foremost authority" but he always wrote it in crayon. I wouldn't say that stating that thick airfoils won't perform as well as a flat, or slightly curved, plate at the Reynolds numbers of a 1.5 inch chord rubber model is a logical fallacy. It's simply a demonstrated fact that at Re<50,000 a plate will have lower drag than a thick section. Better pitch stability can also be expected because of separation on the lower surface. Using several thin spars instead of one thick one would also help.

--Norm
nmasters is offline Find More Posts by nmasters