HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:46 PM
Spain, CN
Joined Dec 2011
300 Posts
Seismic, I see on your pictures you are not using a pot on your roll.

I use a gimbal with a similar design as yours. Modifying my savox servo and adding a 1 turn 5k pot to the pitch made a huge difference, but I cannot find a similar pot for the roll.

Mechanical limits in my gimbals roll are aprox 70, so I need a 5K POT with 1/5 turn, did anybody find some of these?

The most similar thing I have found are the original cinestar roll pots but they are not exactly cheap....
apejovic is offline Find More Posts by apejovic
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:09 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
>>Seismic, I see on your pictures you are not using a pot on your roll.<<

No because I don't need that much travel in my roll axis to keep the images level.
SeismicCWave is online now Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:11 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
I finally got the 1/2" square aluminum tube gimbal on a multi rotor and flew it.

The result is pretty encouraging. I believe with a little tuning it should yield very usable video footage.

20121011 2 axis metal gimbal first test w Naza M (1 min 40 sec)
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:50 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,658 Posts
I really like your alum design and will try to follow that. Since I will only be testing with a small camera I may just braze the C and L brackets. This is probably a dumb question (won't be first or last) but why is the roll pivot off center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
I finally got the 1/2" square aluminum tube gimbal on a multi rotor and flew it.

The result is pretty encouraging. I believe with a little tuning it should yield very usable video footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVYX4P_ismE
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Looks good! Seems to me that the naza gimbal controls are a bit lagging, but maybe it's just not tuned up yet? I would say comparable to some of the early, pre fine-tuned video coming from askman's gimbal. I am assuming that was with a Nex?
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
I really like your alum design and will try to follow that. Since I will only be testing with a small camera I may just braze the C and L brackets. This is probably a dumb question (won't be first or last) but why is the roll pivot off center?
I had that dumb question earlier: It's because the lens on most cameras are off to one side. You want the lens rotating close to the pivot point. It helps with lateral CG of the gimbal as well since more of the mass is on the "short" roll side.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:08 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,658 Posts
Ahh..makes perfect sense. Never pictured it in my head with the camera mounted on the plate. Thanks for explaining it. Now to think up my next question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
I had that dumb question earlier: It's because the lens on most cameras are off to one side. You want the lens rotating close to the pivot point. It helps with lateral CG of the gimbal as well since more of the mass is on the "short" roll side.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Ahh..makes perfect sense. Never pictured it in my head with the camera mounted on the plate. Thanks for explaining it. Now to think up my next question.

No prob.. and I will probably beat you to it again
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:35 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
It will be great if you can braze the tubes together. That should save some weight.

I put the roll off center because the lens on the Sony NEX is offset. Plus I want to "balance" the weight of the tilt servo a bit.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:38 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
Looks good! Seems to me that the naza gimbal controls are a bit lagging, but maybe it's just not tuned up yet? I would say comparable to some of the early, pre fine-tuned video coming from askman's gimbal. I am assuming that was with a Nex?
Yes, I set it up a bit laggy. My gain on the tilt axis is down to 15. Roll gain is 20.

My philosophy is that you are not trying to setup a gimbal to be able to follow the movement perfectly. The stabilizer is only there to "damp" the large movement and reduce it. So instead of over compensating with too much gain I am using less gain.

Yes, the camera was a NEX 5N. I took off the camera to take the still image after the flight.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Dec 2005
77 Posts
hey there possibly a drawing available?

Thanks in advanced
skygizmo is offline Find More Posts by skygizmo
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:26 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygizmo View Post
hey there possibly a drawing available?

Thanks in advanced
The whole idea behind these gimbals I am building is that you DO NOT need a drawing. You just pick up the off-the-shelf parts, measure, cut and bolt them together.

If you have to follow a drawing and use specialized tools, not too many people can build one.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Sep 2001
1,127 Posts
What makes it difficult for me is the sizes and the measures of special items. It would be great if I had a shopping list for bearings, rods, pulleys and belts that are needed. The measuring and cutting of alu tubes is the easy part.
By the way askman has made a nice change to his yoke design. He is using carbon tube and delrin sheet...
tigar is online now Find More Posts by tigar
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
>>What makes it difficult for me is the sizes and the measures of special items. It would be great if I had a shopping list for bearings, rods, pulleys and belts that are needed. The measuring and cutting of alu tubes is the easy part.<<

That is why Rusty at AGL Hobbies is going to make a kit. You can get the pulleys and belts from a number of different sources. Andrey (askman) sells belts, pulleys and potentiometers. You can find bearings on eBay. Rusty is trying to make the gimbal so the builder does not have to drill holes.

>>By the way askman has made a nice change to his yoke design. He is using carbon tube and delrin sheet...<<

Yes I have been keeping up with Andrey on his designs and improvements. His gimbals are getting nicer with each upgrade. I am flying 4 of his prototypes.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:12 PM
tomeparker
United Kingdom, England, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
Great thread, great work. I'm currently after a gimbal just like these, buying one is far too expensive. I only need to have it hold a GoPro so I might be able to cut some weight once the design is fully refined.

Until then, I'm trying to get this printed on an FDM free of charge. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:20080
tomeparker is offline Find More Posts by tomeparker