SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:50 AM
Registered User
Tomdomification's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
I must have put a dozen flights on mine today using E-flite 180s and 200s, Thunder Power 250s and Gens Ace 450s. It may not be as fast as my original Sbach but this is a much better plane overall. Well worth the extra $$.
Fantastic photos! I hope you don't mind but I downloaded them :-)

Tom
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:01 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
I absolutely love flying in fog and I do it everytime I have a chance. But remember, it's water in suspension so it's almost as bad as flying in the rain. It can be bad for the electronic... I never had any problems myself (other than ice forming on the wings, spinner, tail, etc), but I've read horror story about people having problems with servos and receiver after flying in thick fog. Your milleage may vary!

Does make for great pictures for sure! Wow
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:52 AM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
I absolutely love flying in fog and I do it everytime I have a chance. But remember, it's water in suspension so it's almost as bad as flying in the rain. It can be bad for the electronic... I never had any problems myself (other than ice forming on the wings, spinner, tail, etc), but I've read horror story about people having problems with servos and receiver after flying in thick fog. Your milleage may vary!

Does make for great pictures for sure! Wow
Airframe icing? Now that I can say I've never seen in R/C. The "soup" must have been pretty thick. How did you see the plane?

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:59 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Airframe icing? Now that I can say I've never seen in R/C. The "soup" must have been pretty thick. How did you see the plane?
-Brian
So............who'll be first with the deicer-boot mod?

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:48 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Just a little flight reporting / update, and overall positive comment. First off, only flying straight stock on 2 cell lipos. (NOT Eflite) I have never seen the tail wag at all on mine, sorry.

Am I ever having a blast doing blenders with this thing. I must admit that I actually LEARNED this maneuver on this plane, never having the guts to try it on my Precision Aerobatics plane.

This little guy does GREAT blenders, not that I have gotten a better feel for it. Simply amazing how well this airframe and system performs in aerobatics. LOVE to take off straight into hover, then climb up straight or torque roll to a very high altitude, rudder kick it staight down into a nice blender, ending in an inverted flat spin, slide back to hover, kick it over and elevator down to a harrier on the deck. Rinse and repeat.

The time / lipo charges are just FLYING by, before I know it I have to land. MAN I am learning a ton from this plane, and all on the street in front of my house. Unbelieveable.

Thank you HH!

Marlin
Marlin - I have to agree w/ you. My learning curve has rocketed to vertical on this plane. The combination of it's ability and it's lightweight design makes it less likely to crash, more likely to survive a crash, and thus the pilot more willing to push the envelope.

I'd LOVE to see a video of the routine you described above - I really enjoyed your Knife edge video!

I had mine out this a.m. as well - working on inverted hovers and discovered that the rudder is opposite upside down. how the heck am I going to remember that?? Also trying to work on (there's a technical name for this manuever, I'm sure) doing slow aileron rolls at high alpha. I just can't seem to coordinate my rudder inputs properly - but at least I realized from the inverted work that the second rudder is opposite the first and rather counter intuitive to the aileron stick position (I learned knife edges by learning to use opposite aileron/rudder inputs).

Well, more practice. The fact that I can do that in my front yard only makes things better.
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:04 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,504 Posts
[QUOTE=whichwaysup;23308309]...
I had mine out this a.m. as well - working on inverted hovers and discovered that the rudder is opposite upside down. how the heck am I going to remember that?? .../QUOTE]

Try this: Gear pointed down = rudder stick pushes far side of plane. Gear pointed up = rudder stick pushes near side of plane.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:05 PM
Registered User
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I will win the battle of Dolphin tail wag, hopefully. Mine has had it from day one, I won't even try to fly it on 3S as it is horrible. I will give it another go tonight and see what I come up with.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:17 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Forgive my ignorance as I'm not a 3D pilot...(I flew primarily jets or scale planes for most of my 40 year modeling career)...I just don't know some of the freestyle lingo...So again, forgive my ignorance but how do you do a blender???...I have put this plane is a spin and wrapped it up to severe buy adding full throttle--Is this a blender???---And what's a poptop???

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:26 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Fish99's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Marlin - I have to agree w/ you. My learning curve has rocketed to vertical on this plane. The combination of it's ability and it's lightweight design makes it less likely to crash, more likely to survive a crash, and thus the pilot more willing to push the envelope.

I'd LOVE to see a video of the routine you described above - I really enjoyed your Knife edge video!

I had mine out this a.m. as well - working on inverted hovers and discovered that the rudder is opposite upside down. how the heck am I going to remember that?? Also trying to work on (there's a technical name for this manuever, I'm sure) doing slow aileron rolls at high alpha. I just can't seem to coordinate my rudder inputs properly - but at least I realized from the inverted work that the second rudder is opposite the first and rather counter intuitive to the aileron stick position (I learned knife edges by learning to use opposite aileron/rudder inputs).

Well, more practice. The fact that I can do that in my front yard only makes things better.
The inverted Harriers continue to be tricky for me. I have flown so much inverted pattern flying that elevator reversal is second nature so I don't need to think about that. Ailerons of course stay the same, so all good there as well. What I find i need to do is REALY THINK about push right, go left, etc., with the rudder. It helps that in Harrier you are going slow, and if you are keeping the wings level and nose at the right alpha along with proper throttle settings without too much thought, as it comes a bit natural after loads of regular harrier flying, then you can simply focus on the reversed rudder. It is starting to come a bit more natural for me now, just need more PRACTICE.

You also were describing a ROLLING HARRIER. Very nice to watch, but not something I can do yet! I am still just working on regular rolling circles, and getting my rudder / elevator stick rythems down on my PA. Now that you mention it, the SBach would be the PERFECT machine to learn that on ... I know what I am doing this weekend! LOL

I will try to slap some video together and put it on my YouTube page. It's a blast.

Great machine this Sbach. (My Beast 3D is down for repairs right now, DUMB THUMBED it in doing some crazy flying WAY TOO LOW last week, broke the top wing and the little support between the wings on the left side ... AGAIN. Might be time for a whole new Beast 3D, as my old one sure has been suffered.

:>

Marlin
Fish99 is online now Find More Posts by Fish99
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:37 PM
Registered User
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Kevin these should help you out, I refer to them a lot!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904349

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792250
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:40 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Fish99's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Forgive my ignorance as I'm not a 3D pilot...(I flew primarily jets or scale planes for most of my 40 year modeling career)...I just don't know some of the freestyle lingo...So again, forgive my ignorance but how do you do a blender???...I have put this plane is a spin and wrapped it up to severe buy adding full throttle--Is this a blender???---And what's a poptop???

Kevin
No expert Kevin, but this is how it was explained to me. Straight down line, full aileron on way. Spinning pretty good. Then feed in OPPOSITE RUDDER, as well as NOSE DOWN ELEVATOR while adding power and it kind of WHIPS OUT. The spin speed INCREASEs quickly at first, but the DESCENT of course slows down greatly. Then as it flattens out the spin slows down to settle into a nice inverted flat spin.

That's my understanding of it and what I am doing. Others far better at 3D than I will likely be able to correct me and/or explain it better.

Marlin

EDIT: SWEET Links from IndyMatt ... just look there, much better than what I am saying! Thanks Matt!
Fish99 is online now Find More Posts by Fish99
Last edited by Fish99; Nov 19, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:58 PM
Smasher of foam
FunkeyMonk's Avatar
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Also trying to work on (there's a technical name for this manuever, I'm sure) doing slow aileron rolls at high alpha.
It's called a Harrier roll.
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:13 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I will win the battle of Dolphin tail wag, hopefully. Mine has had it from day one, I won't even try to fly it on 3S as it is horrible. I will give it another go tonight and see what I come up with.
Did you try the method of 'tying' the horiz stab to the fuse better? I'm not saying this will fix everyone's problem, but it sure worked for mine, and I would start with the least invasive procedures first, and only if they don't work, then resort to the more major surgery/crazier ideas....


From a prior post I made:
Quote:
I simply put a single drop of 560 canopy glue on either side of the joint where the stab meets the fuse, and then used a small screwdriver blade to squeegee the drop down into the gaps, leaving a nice bead or welt along each seam (no pressure needed, the driver blade just 'wicks' the glue in along the seam).

I did the same thing to the underside joints, so that left all four mating surfaces with a continuous bit of white canopy glue filling the gap between fuse and stab.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:07 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,764 Posts
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Note to self: When practicing a new manuever, do not do so in a confined space:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...05428&page=232
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:15 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
That was just what the doctor ordered - thanks for sharing! I just subscribed to that one!

Now, if ONLY I had an airplane to practice on . . . Two Sbach's laid up . . . .
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold E Flite UMX SBACH w/AS3X - 2s, 3s - $118 OBO shipped flyrtim Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Sep 11, 2012 10:42 PM
Sold E-flite UMX Sbach 342 NIB $135 shipped ton2di Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Aug 29, 2012 02:41 PM
Discussion Baby S-Bach (E-Flite SBach UMX) mikhail tupulov Micro Ready-to-Fly 1 Aug 21, 2012 04:45 PM
For Sale E-Flite UMX SBach NIB $135 Shipped pldawg Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Aug 08, 2012 11:26 PM
Sold E-Flite Sbach 342 UMX mdv Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 12, 2012 08:29 PM