HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:48 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Saturday, 12 January '13

Saturday was a meeting day for the Club and it was off season as well so not a lot was happening on the Lake. A few sail boats made it out that afternoon for a pick-up race.

The owner of a gas go-fastie takes a break from running his hydro and chats with children
and spectators at Lakeside as the sun warms up the Lake. The little boy in green is
carrying a boat of his own.

Later, after the Club meeting, a couple of members (Gerry and Don) sit and chat
with a couple of the Irregulars (Kenny and an unidentified boater) on a Lakeside bench
while their boats drift lazily in the low, warm sunlight.

craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:58 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Saturday, 12 January '13 - Kids running at the Lake

It was a good day for kids at the Lake as well....

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Mar 02, 2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:59 PM
Which way is it blowing?
San Francisco, CA
Joined Feb 2009
355 Posts
How to build a PT-109

How to build a Radio Controlled PT-109 (10 min 53 sec)
SF Sloper is offline Find More Posts by SF Sloper
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:04 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Gas Day - Saturday, 2 March 2013

Saturday is heavy gas fast go-fastie day.
Julio <Racer59> and Justin Li's <J12> boats compete!

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Mar 03, 2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:25 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,959 Posts
Thanks for the pix Craig !

Nice CC Semi Enclosed, havent seen this one before, a club member/regular or new ?
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:26 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
It belongs to Rad Frad. I took it in and re-did it inside and out. I used Nelson Hobby Paint custom color over Nelson two part epoxie primer over the balsa direct. It is water-tight runs on a dumas 6v. Its maiden voyage was in January.
It has interior lights and running lights 3v.

Se ya out there
Rad Frad is offline Find More Posts by Rad Frad
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,008 Posts
Haven't gotten into boats, but wife wants one. I was lead here by a pic and link on main forums page and have a question. I see in these pictures that it seems everybody is using the car type transmitters with the little steering wheel. Do they not make boat receivers that work with regular joystick controllers? I find them so much easier to use.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:38 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
896 Posts
bobly The car types(wheel) are a bit more popular with the Go-Fastee folks but some of us prefer thr Stick Types. But remember that 75mhz is the ground freq. for AM or FM and they were a bit harder to find in the LHS, things have changed in time. And the 2.4GHZ stuff is usable both air and ground so you will see them more. I am one of the Stick folks and went so far as to purchase a "Vela" sailboat to get a stick radio for my sail fleet. Extra receivers follow the transmitter.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:58 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee View Post
bobly The car types(wheel) are a bit more popular with the Go-Fastee folks but some of us prefer thr Stick Types. But remember that 75mhz is the ground freq. for AM or FM and they were a bit harder to find in the LHS, things have changed in time. And the 2.4GHZ stuff is usable both air and ground so you will see them more. I am one of the Stick folks and went so far as to purchase a "Vela" sailboat to get a stick radio for my sail fleet. Extra receivers follow the transmitter.
Thanks for the feedback. My stuff is all 2.4, so maybe I could use it. I gave the steering wheel things a try on a truck, but especially at speeds found it much harder to be precise with small control movements than with the sticks. The wheel was just too touchy for my old fingers I suppose, and I also found orientation (coming or going) tougher to keep straight.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:08 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
bobly...

First, a hearty welcome aboard to both you and your lady wife. Well met and welcome to boating.

The RC radio manufacturers have not made any marine configured transmitters like the ACE Nautical Commander (which was considered "The Cadillac of remote control boat radios") for many, many years. All the 'ground' radios are currently pre-configured for cars and truck because they make up the vast lions' share of the ground R/C market.

Click on pic for more on the Nautical Commander

For many of us, especially the people with significant time in the hobby, especially if you are building / running scale models, dual sticks just seem to work better, so I would say get a dual stick four or six channel rig. Of course the issue there is all those radios are pre-configured these days for aircraft with a few car settings. Boats are the poor bd step-child of the R/C hobby.

Of course, if you are a bit of a hacker, you can always start with a basic dual-stick-rig and start modding it; that kinda what the Homebrew Hacks for Model Boats forum exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
My stuff is all 2.4, so maybe I could use it. I gave the steering wheel things a try on a truck, but especially at speeds found it much harder to be precise with small control movements than with the sticks. The wheel was just too touchy for my old fingers I suppose, and I also found orientation (coming or going) tougher to keep straight.
I also find the "wheels" on the current ground rigs quite touchy though nowhere near as bad as the trigger "throttles." They are designed and tuned for cars, not boats. I do recommend looking into the dual-stick rigs.
-------------------------------------------

Then, o course, there is Umi's friend's rig....

Click on pic for more info....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Mar 04, 2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:56 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Frad View Post
It belongs to Rad Frad.

Se ya out there
AHA !

Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:05 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Craig, maybe this is a good time for me to share this info on a twin stick radio in 2.4 in a computer transmitter. I talked with these folks a while ago and said it was coming soon. so maybe if you call them you can place an order to be part of the first to get one. I have an attachment to this.
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:10 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Cool! Thanks Gary!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:45 PM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Does any one have any idea what this boat is?

Playtron RC Candy Boat.

I see its from the 1980s made in Japan... Is it a good buy for $35?
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:18 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
To help celebrate Sailing on the lake is this ol 16mm movie I found in my arcive. Hope you enjoy. wink, wink.

A long lost old movie by Magisto (1 min 1 sec)

Gary
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Last edited by Pond Sailer; Mar 04, 2013 at 01:58 AM.