Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:40 PM
Puerto Rico, Guayama, Guayama
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Discussion
RTR Electric Bike Question

Hi all,

I'm considering buying an electric bike to have fun on the streets and parking lots. Basically, I want a RTR model that works and run fairly fast without presenting hassles and operational problems.

A model I was looking at was the Venom GPV-1 1/8 bike but seems the RTR kits are not available now, but their Pro one. Another model I'm liking is the Thunder Tiger SB-5 Electric RTR BRUSHLESS.

I'll appreciate if you can provide opinions about the SB-5 RTR Brushless, or other models similar in price that fulfill my needs.

In the case the TT SB-5 Brushless bike is a good choice, is the front brake upgrade good to have?

Best regards,

David
davehour is offline Find More Posts by davehour
Last edited by davehour; Nov 21, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:15 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,395 Posts
I'd say for a parking lot, the front brake is a waste, unless you can actually set up some sort of track configuration to run regularly.

The SB-5 needs some pmt 100 or 200 tyres with hard inserts and then you are good to good as far as I am aware anyway.

Unless you are racing, I wouldn't waste money on super fast brushless set ups either. I had plenty of fun when I was setting up the KP09e stockbike with a Mardave silvercan around the large car park/test track.

PS. All bikes are a bit fastidious compared to cars for TLC, so you will need to take a bit more diligent care. That's the price you pay for having something that trains your thumbs better than any car can.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:54 PM
Puerto Rico, Guayama, Guayama
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Jonathan,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I used to be a parking lot bike racer some years ago. I ran the TT Ducati Nitro bikes.

I may end running a track with friends if they also decide to get the bikes. This time, we would want to try electric to avoid some of the hassle nitro inherently has.

Can the SB-5 be run with the stock tires for some time, or they are so bad that I shouldn't even try?

In regards to the brushed vs. brushless, is the speed difference big?

One plus of being brushless is the motor last more and doesn't need the maintenace the brushed one will need.

BTW, what Lipo battery specs would you recommend?

David
davehour is offline Find More Posts by davehour
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:04 PM
Who needs 4 wheels..
Australia, VIC, Menzies Creek
Joined Aug 2009
759 Posts
Hi David,
If go the RTR get the brushless or if you get the kit this is the brushless system we run .. Hobbywing 8.5t Sensored - 60a esc
Battery wise I have been running a 7.4v 5000mah 30c Lipo battery, gives around 45 minutes of run time.
The stock tyres are crap, but can be used if track has grip, the PMT tyres are worth the purchase, during summer use 100's & winter use the 200's

Peter
Roofas is offline Find More Posts by Roofas