Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:30 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,334 Posts
Help!
I want my trailing edge back!

I'm restoring an old glider I picked up this weekend. I didnt want to go this far with it, but after looking it over good it was apparent that it needed some TLC. The covering had to be completely stripped to get to the problem spots. Thank god this is an old 40" HLG because I HATE removing covering. In the process of removing the old covering, parts of the very fine and thin balsa TE left with it. Now the TE has a bunch of little chips in it and resembles more of steak knife than a filleting knife . I know this has bound to have happened to someone else before. Is there any way to get that nice straight TE back?
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:41 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I've used a very thin dowel rod before to fix that exact problem. Glue to the intact TE and sand a little as needed. Then recover with solid covering back there anyway so nobody knows
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,856 Posts
If you cut it back to a straight line, you could then glue on a strip of balsa and then plane it down or take it down with a sanding block. This would work best with a flat bottom wing, set on a solid, flat surface with the trailing edge even with the edge of the surface. Use c-grain:
http://www.specializedbalsa.com/i/gr...omparison3.jpg
Another trick is to make the very last bit out of something a bit stronger and harder than balsa like spruce, fir, etc. This will be planed down until there's very little of it, but it will make those chips less likely

The plane is probably easier if you set it up carefully, but there's no reason, with care, that a sanding block wouldn't work just as well, and it's probably harder to have a real disaster with the sanding block.

This should be pretty easy if you cut it back straight and square.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:15 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
What Lincoln said. Cut out old wood, glue in new, 'mask' old structure with blue painters tape and sand new wood strip to match contour.

Done.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:10 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
539 Posts
+1 on Lincoln's comments. I would use spruce. You can sand it to a very fine edge and have a TE that is almost a smooth knife edge. I you start with a warp free piece of wood you have a good chance of a warp free TE also.
Soarmark is online now Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:02 AM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
For a 40" HLG, I'd just put the covering over the existing ragged TE, seal it together, and trim it off straight. Leave just enough beyond the wood to seal the covering together. That's the lightest solution, and I think that is the important consideration. It's also easy to do, and easy to fix if it gets messed up.
rogerflies is offline Find More Posts by rogerflies