HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:14 AM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I have a question. Having always put servo protectors on since the first beast came out and as even the high wing CC has servo covers, I was surprised to find that the new Sbach did not have any. Is there some reason? I am in the process of putting some on, but baffled by why there were none furnished. Maybe they are perceived to be a problem?
I was wondering the same thing. I'm not going to belly-land her, but there is almost always surface crud even on clean-looking asphalt and I'm paranoid about tiny particulates buggering up the exposed servos. I ordered a pair of the CC servo covers I found on Ebay (out of stock @ HH) hoping that they will fit correctly w/2x sided tape. Do you think that they would throw the aerodynamics far off-kilter?
JayDoc is offline Find More Posts by JayDoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:25 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,059 Posts
Headed to river park flying field up in Anderson ,Ca today. Gona bring planes of all sizes including the new Sbach,, will bring the pocket radar for some speed runs. Be interesting to see what the speed looks like with this little guy on that big field. Most the guys there fly bigger 3D planes from 48 in up to 2 meters. They'll probably laugh at my little Sbach. :-)
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDoc View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I'm not going to belly-land her, but there is almost always surface crud even on clean-looking asphalt and I'm paranoid about tiny particulates buggering up the exposed servos. I ordered a pair of the CC servo covers I found on Ebay (out of stock @ HH) hoping that they will fit correctly w/2x sided tape. Do you think that they would throw the aerodynamics far off-kilter?
I would think they could only help not hinder.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:29 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Problem finding CG

Hi all; Re the Sbach 342 non AS3X version:
HK-USA came thru for me & my 180 NanoTechs arrived in this morning's mail; charging 'em up right now & getting things ship-shape hoping to maiden tomorrow.

This sounds nuts & I've balanced planes literally hundreds of times, so not a complete noob at it, awright?
First, I very precisely measured & placed a tiny silver dot at the manual's prescribed 29mm CG point behind LE @ root.

Then I started as the manual prescribes, trying to locate the LiPo so's to balance on that point.
Thing is, I simply cannot get the plane to balance ANYWHERE!!! Battery full forward comes closest, but is still tail-heavy. Wires to front, or to rear, no diff. I've been full-forward to full-rearward (but there comes a point where you KNOW it'll just be more tailheavy, & dumb to try....but I did anyway.) Even tried a different LiPo (got 3)....same-o, same-o. OK, you'd think, just start adding some weight in small increments.

But first, I thought I'd see where it is balancing before writing this, by shifting my jig's balancing points forward (& rearward as it turned out).
But it's crazy....the. dang. thing. just. will. not. BALANCE! I've never seen anything like it! My jig holds 2 upright new pencils; trimmed down erasers are the resting poiints. I get it very close to balancing - very slightly tail-heavy....move the plane - one side actually - about 0.5mm rearward, & the plane falls forward hard & off the jig, not teetering a bit before beginning to fall as I usually see when 'getting close'.

I even reduced the resting point size by using the lead points of two other pencils, trying to get the location down to a fine point (no pun intended) So HELP me, moving the width of one pencil point makes it fall off the opposite direction it did before the adjustment. Repeatedly Every time! Oh - and I'm inside; no fans, nothing....dead still air. I'm not even breathing on it!! IT'S CRAZY WEIRD!

This isn't just a one-shot-&-give up thing either -- I've been going at it for well over a half hour now....and it's about to drive me nuts! I've searched this forum & not found anything definitive. So, in desperation I finally decided to ask -- anyone else get these kinda results? & for gawdssakes, what did you do to fix it?????
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:55 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
HK-USA came thru for me & my 180 NanoTechs arrived in this morning's mail; charging 'em up right now & getting things ship-shape hoping to maiden tomorrow.

This sounds nuts & I've balanced planes literally hundreds of times, so not a complete noob at it, awright?
First, I very precisely measured & placed a tiny silver dot at the manual's prescribed 29mm CG point behind LE @ root.

Then I started as the manual prescribes, trying to locate the LiPo so's to balance on that point.
Thing is, I simply cannot get the plane to balance ANYWHERE!!! Battery full forward comes closest, but is still tail-heavy. Wires to front, or to rear, no diff. I've been full-forward to full-rearward (but there comes a point where you KNOW it'll just be more tailheavy, & dumb to try....but I did anyway.) Even tried a different LiPo (got 3)....same-o, same-o. OK, you'd think, just start adding some weight in small increments.

But first, I thought I'd see where it is balancing before writing this, by shifting my jig's balancing points forward (& rearward as it turned out).
But it's crazy....the. dang. thing. just. will. not. BALANCE! I've never seen anything like it! My jig holds 2 upright new pencils; trimmed down erasers are the resting poiints. I get it very close to balancing - very slightly tail-heavy....move the plane - one side actually - about 0.5mm rearward, & the plane falls forward hard & off the jig, not teetering a bit before beginning to fall as I usually see when 'getting close'.

I even reduced the resting point size by using the lead points of two other pencils, trying to get the location down to a fine point (no pun intended) So HELP me, moving the width of one pencil point makes it fall off the opposite direction it did before the adjustment. Repeatedly Every time! Oh - and I'm inside; no fans, nothing....dead still air. I'm not even breathing on it!! IT'S CRAZY WEIRD!

This isn't just a one-shot-&-give up thing either -- I've been going at it for well over a half hour now....and it's about to drive me nuts! I've searched this forum & not found anything definitive. So, in desperation I finally decided to ask -- anyone else get these kinda results? & for gawdssakes, what did you do to fix it?????
Just put the battery in and fly it. Sheeze. No matter how far back you put the battery on a V1, you can't get into trouble. If it feels too tail heavy, move the battery forward.

Also, You asking in the wrong thread. The AS3X will fly great @ 36mm from the LE
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:06 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
I just ordered 5 of these for my Sbach 3D. Do they really make that much of a difference compared to the E flite 200 mah 25c??
This new Sbach is quickly becoming my new Fav !!! Completey lost interest in my beast 3D,,, anyone Wana buy a BEAST 3d ??? :-)
On first few flights of Sbach 3D set timer at 4:00 min,, put back on charger they only took about 100 mah to fill again, waaay better than my beast. IMHO this new Sbach waaaaay better flying than beast 3D,,, others may not agree with me on this one I realize. So any takers for a Beast 3D never been crashed for $50??
If it's not sold I'll take it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
You need to use this adapter, or solder your own using just the two power leads and you can charge/balance with theincluded 2S JST-XH lead. E-Flite UMX= JST-PH (combined power/balance lead)

http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...teektdaoekt5f2
Any adapter will reduce power. It is not worth it. Either cut the plug off the plane and install your correct plug or get batteries with the UMX plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post

Few things:
First 29mm is WAY nose heavy on this plane. 34, is a much better starting point. 36-38 is true neutral balance point.

second these things are so small that the balance jigs are tough to get it to balance. Small disturbances will cause large movements like you described even when you are very close. It is just the nature of this small of a scale.

Finally the Sbach is very resilient to being a little out of balance It will fly with the battery anywhere in the tray. Though I will say that 90% of the time putting the battery all the way back in the tray will be the best way to start flying it. Most of us that have the V1 have carved out foam from the back of the tray to get it to balance better.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; Oct 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Any adapter will reduce power. It is not worth it. Either cut the plug off the plane and install your correct plug of get batteries with the UMX plug.

-Brian
I fully agree, specially on these little micros.. every little bit helps get the most punch possible
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:11 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Have you tried flipping the airplane upside down to balance it? This is a trick we use for Corsairs.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:48 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,059 Posts
Anyone interested in my beast 3D for $50 ,, e mail me at airman749@aol.com
I'll send you pics. :-)
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Anyone interested in my beast 3D for $50 ,, e mail me at airman749@aol.com
I'll send you pics. :-)
take a look a couple post up
send me some pics, if its not sold
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I have a question. Having always put servo protectors on since the first beast came out and as even the high wing CC has servo covers, I was surprised to find that the new Sbach did not have any. Is there some reason? I am in the process of putting some on, but baffled by why there were none furnished. Maybe they are perceived to be a problem?
Plastic spoons make fine servo covers. The thinnest, lightest ones are best.

These are on the UM MiG-15.

They should be just as good on the S3D.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:37 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Plastic spoons make fine servo covers. The thinnest, lightest ones are best.

These are on the UM MiG-15.

They should be just as good on the S3D.

Nice use of plastic spoons.
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:40 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,600 Posts
I could balance my Sbach either until I used 33mm for the CG.
I still can't balance my Beast though. Tried different points. I just tips forward or back. I gave up and fly it with the battery where I like it the best.
Anyone been able to balance their Beast on CG?
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:01 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
bro, have you tried the 45/90c packs?
I have one other place to try and find one of these V2 planes and off the the field with my Bushnell for some speed runs
I can't get them quickly as they come from China---The 35C batts are in the USA warehouse...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:14 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
674 Posts
[QUOTE=Airman74;22990259]I just ordered 5 of these for my Sbach 3D. Do they really make that much of a difference compared to the E flite 200 mah 25c??
This new Sbach is quickly becoming my new Fav !!! Completey lost interest in my beast 3D,,, anyone Wana buy a BEAST 3d ??? :-)
On first few flights of Sbach 3D set timer at 4:00 min,, put back on charger they only took about 100 mah to fill again, waaay better than my beast. IMHO this new Sbach waaaaay better flying than beast 3D,,, others may not agree with me on this one I realize. So any takers for a Beast 3D never been crashed for $50??[/QUOTE
post some pics im interested.
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Last edited by GassPasser; Oct 13, 2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: mis[ell