HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:53 PM
Model Hijacker
United States, WA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2011
49 Posts
The rebuild with the trans blue, and yellow.... Wood prop...

Pure sexy...
MrGoodwreck is online now Find More Posts by MrGoodwreck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:05 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,064 Posts
Sexy is not the word I would use.

Cute maybe!
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:38 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
I have the same feeling that some of you have about the Q-tee but mine was the tidewater pronto .It was my first kit 35 years ago ,i found free plans and scratch built it just like my old one including the same K+B motor. I never built the Q-tee but i did download the tiled plan from this thread and will buildone soon ,most likely electrict. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:10 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,731 Posts
I had the Playmate with an OS 15. Wonderful airplane. So was the Parakeet bipe.

Thanks, Dave Robelen.
howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:00 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
575 Posts
Here's my Q-Tee, what's left after a Figure-9. I have stripped the wing of its covering. It hit the ground hard enough to mash the front of a half dozen ribs, which will need some form of partial replacement.

The thing I found about the Q-Tee is with its ample wing area, it could even fly decently at 6,500 feet (1,981 m) elevation. The trick was using a 6x3 or 6x4 prop. At sea level, a 5-1/4x4 prop would work, but not at elevation.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:01 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
445 Posts
Cool to see another Q-Tee in the thread

(un-cool about the crash damage).

Looking forward to a progress “show and tell”

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:33 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I have the same feeling that some of you have about the Q-tee but mine was the tidewater pronto .It was my first kit 35 years ago ,i found free plans and scratch built it just like my old one including the same K+B motor. I never built the Q-tee but i did download the tiled plan from this thread and will buildone soon ,most likely electrict. joe
I've got that kit; will be a future build.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:11 PM
Joined Jun 2011
175 Posts
wrapping up the Q Tee

Just mounted the motor and tested the speed control and servos. I am almost finished. I have never flown a three channel model. This is one of my bucket list planes. I fly pattern planes normally.
Jim1000 is offline Find More Posts by Jim1000
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:01 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,064 Posts
Well, don't expect it to knife edge!

I fly pattern too, but there's so much joy to be had from 2 and 3 channel models. Because they don't roll axially, they don't loop on line and are virtually impossible to point roll, it's the antithesis of pattern flying. It's really damn good fun, so much so that my next little model will probably be single channel!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:36 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
575 Posts
Single channel is even a greater antithesis of pattern flying. With a properly trimmed plane, one can even do an acceptable Cuban-8. Judging sink rate to get the thing to land within 10 feet upon dead stick is fun, too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:56 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,064 Posts
That's pretty much why I wanna do it!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:25 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
575 Posts
Back in the late 1960's, Ace R/C was selling a complete single channel rudder only pulse proportional systems. It came with several options starting with a base Baby Adams magnetic actuator, which was sufficient power for .020 aircraft. I bought one on Brown frequency (26.995 MHz) on the CB radio band in 1972 with a Adams Baby Twin actuator (slightly more powerful, for .020 and mild .049 aircaft for $70. Although the actuator pulsed the rudder left and right, pulsing was fast enough (about 200 beats per minute), that the plane followed the average of the throws. It was truly proportional rudder.

Then in 1977 or 1978, I bought for $105 on 72 MHz older frequencies, their pulse proportional with Adams Stomper twin actuator (for aggressive .049 to mild .15 aircraft) and KRD quick blip sequential lo-med-hi servo. I still have the radio. The throttle was activated by momentarily hitting a push button switch. Then one could mount a more powerful engine and control it.

There was an additional modification that could be performed, which provided elevator function ala Galloping Ghost, which would vary the pulse rate to the Adams actuator. Slow pulse rate would cause the actuator to give more up elevator. Fast pulse rate more down elevator.

However, it was interactive. It was either rudder command or elevator command, but not both. When turning, the plane would receive some up elevator.

I never opted for this function, because I like to do wild spiral dives with full rudder, usually full left rudder. Then after several spirals, neutralize. With sufficient speed, the plane would react like a balsa glider thrown very hard. It would loop. Hit the rudder on the way up before going over the top, plane would barrel roll. Hit it up toward the top, one could do a Split-S.

For simplicity, it was a lot of fun. Because the investment was so low, one could do gutsy stuff they wouldn't want to do with the .40 sized plane.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by GallopingGhostlr; Feb 07, 2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Corrected logic error (rudder, not elevator!)
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Jun 2011
175 Posts
I wish my King Kobra or my Bridi XLT went toghether as quick as th Q-Tee.
I will wait on the one channel and see how this goes.
Jim1000 is offline Find More Posts by Jim1000
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:20 PM
No conspiracy in theory
Oak Ridge, Tenn.
Joined Aug 2004
3,618 Posts
The Q-Tee was my first powered R/C back around 74(?)
But the next two powered planes were both Ace whizzards(I still have both wings!)
The reason I bring this up in the QT thread is, I analized and finally figured out what it would take to do an axial roll with just rudder & elevator!
Simple really, after a dive to build speed begin a turn with rudder and as the plane begins to tilt begin adding down elevator...which straightens out the flight path...ease off the down ele as the wing becomes vertical and begin adding it again as he wing becomes inverted......as the roll continues the amount of rudder will nearly remain constant but the amount of ele needed will vary.
I was using a Kraft 2ch radio with a single stick. I was constantly amazing the powered fliers who dropped by with my antics!
With altitude & practice it can be done on R&E alone!
(The Wizz had an advantage in that it had a semi-symetrical airfoil unlike the QT's flat bottom foil).
Sorry to interrupt, but the thread just got my memory banks going!
Mike.
skorski is offline Find More Posts by skorski
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 19 years with this girl!