Closed Thread
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:42 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtogami View Post
I attached the camera to my puppy dog and played with her a little... she went for some food and the camera fell into the water bowl... hahahaha... and it wasn't even recording, else I'd have a great shot of a diving cam...

I left it dry but it's not working anymore. It can be charged and turned on/off, but don't do anything else (not even the card reader is recognized).
The battery is still connected and supplying power to the camera, even when not turned on, to keep the internal clock powered unfortunately. So, you may have zapped some components with the dunking. But I totally submerged one of my different cameras while it was recording, and although I lost that recording, it still functioned fine after drying it out. So before you give up, try all the tips in the FAQs for bringing a non-functional camera back to life. I'd at least try using the reset, including when connected to USB, flashing in firmware again, and even disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. You never know... it may still function.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:30 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtogami View Post

"Ture lens", according to Diana are 720p lenses. Don't know what it means, I don't know if there are specific lenses for 720p (don't think so).
rto..
I sincerely hope you retrieve something off the microSD chip and your cam comes back to life..also hope Diana can repair it too if that fails.. btw.. I asked the same about the lens .. and she told me a "Ture Lens" was actually a typo for "True HD Lens" JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:41 PM
Joined Feb 2011
18 Posts
Hey, thanks for the support! :-)

I haven't gave up yet, but chances are it's really gone... tried everything on the FAQ (reset, reset with USB cable, I'll try to cut the battery, haven't tried it yet...). I'm not that sad, anyway, what I really wanted to do was twist the lens/image sensor... just a bit upset for having to wait another month to get a new camera!

The mSD is fine, it's still working and passed h2testw more than 2 times.

Well, I'll be more careful next time!
If it returns to life, I'll let you know...
rtogami is online now Find More Posts by rtogami
Old Jun 16, 2011, 04:11 PM
Joined May 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I think it is likely a coincidence, but you still can flash in the Release 1 firmware to check the charging function. The camera will still work, only the video frame size will be very small (320x240). You can flash back in Release 2 firmware to restore normal operation afterwards.
OK, thanks for the tip.
I did that and expectedly it did not change anything. Well, it looks like my battery is toasted... at least it still works long enough to be able to flash the firmware

I have a question : has anybody had success with the special cable, an external battery AND a standard USB extension cable in between ? the provided special cable is so small it's hardly usable.
I tried that once to no avail and just after my USB extension cable was dead. I'm pretty sure it worked before this test. Or maybe is it yet another coincidence
0xfeedbabef00d is offline Find More Posts by 0xfeedbabef00d
Old Jun 16, 2011, 04:33 PM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xfeedbabef00d View Post
I have a question : has anybody had success with the special cable, an external battery AND a standard USB extension cable in between ? the provided special cable is so small it's hardly usable.
It has to go camera > special cable > any standard USB extension cable > any powered usb port (battery/computer/hub etc.) and it will work just fine. The only reason the special cable is there is to have a special connector pinout for the camera, anything you plug into the other end will work just fine provided the camera gets power through it.
xamindar is offline Find More Posts by xamindar
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:37 PM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
2. Continuous Recording & Remove Time: This is suppose to remove the time stamp and enable recording to continue without stopping until the flash memory card is full or the 4GB file size limit of the FAT32 file system is reached. With the latter, the recording will stop, saving the file to the flash card. It is suppose to then continue with a new 4GB file, but this part is currently non-functional. It will be fixed soon to continue with a new recording. .
Hi Tom,

Great job on this thread, the question/answers on the first three posts is super informative. Is there any time fame when the single 4 GB file will be fixed so that the camera will start a new file after it reaches the 4 GB size?
I am planning a mount for this little HD camera on the tail of my full size aircraft and would like to have the camera run as long as my bladder range at least, 2 to 2.5 hrs would be great. Does the start stop 20 minute file size run until the SD card is full? I think I read in one of the hundreds of post that it does.

Thanks,

jb
JIMBAKER is offline Find More Posts by JIMBAKER
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:37 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
This Charger is working out well .. you can see when your No 11 cams are each fully charged because the RED LED works .. and charge your Phone or another USB device at the same time..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FB578I
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Jun 16, 2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:38 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
There's no way I know to save a video from WLMM with black borders like yours other than the way I mentioned.
believe me, I can mess up anything!

I don't know whats wrong. But a few clues. In random order. My version of WLMM is missing the slow motion, or time adjustment feature as you can see. My friend showed me a screen cap of his under the Edit tab, the adjustment section on his has 3 tools, background, duration and a third feature that i don't have.!

Also, I just toggled to the widescreen aspect ration so you can see what I see. Oh yes, black borders... ??

Also, when I play recorded raw video on 3 of 4 different laptops, it gives a wild intermittent pixelatied digital scramble in WMP(see attached screen cap) but Quicktime plays flawlesly.! on one of the laptops, I accidently forgot to open with Quicktime, and his WMP played the clip just fine??? I don't get it.

I clicked on properties of one of the saved finished movies and it is indeed saved as WMV not the other you mentioned.?

Last night, for the first time, I plugged in the cam and windows gave me a prompt that this device would be best used if plugged into a USB 2.0 port.!!?? that was wierd.

Is the wierd pixelation scrambling thing in WMP related to the reduced display size? Is it possible that 3 different machines have a problem child version of WMP? is it a 32 bit vs 64bit OS issue?

When you get a chance. I don't have alot of time to play around with it.

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:51 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBAKER View Post
Hi Tom,

Great job on this thread, the question/answers on the first three posts is super informative. Is there any time fame when the single 4 GB file will be fixed so that the camera will start a new file after it reaches the 4 GB size?
I am planning a mount for this little HD camera on the tail of my full size aircraft and would like to have the camera run as long as my bladder range at least, 2 to 2.5 hrs would be great. Does the start stop 20 minute file size run until the SD card is full? I think I read in one of the hundreds of post that it does.

Thanks,

jb
Hi Jim,

There's no set schedule for the firmware bug fix, but I let the developer know just a couple days ago we are very interested in that fix (plus a couple other video quality tweaks). They are a small company, and are working on another new camera design right now. Hopefully it will not be too long.

Yes, you are correct....the camera would stop/save/continue at 4GB file sizes until the battery (or external power supply) dies, or the the video card fills. You would need a 16GB micro SDHC card to hold the 2.5 hours duration. A 1 hr. clip is about 3.5 GB (+ or -) on average for these cameras.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post

I don't know whats wrong. But a few clues. In random order. My version of WLMM is missing the slow motion, or time adjustment feature as you can see. My friend showed me a screen cap of his under the Edit tab, the adjustment section on his has 3 tools, background, duration and a third feature that i don't have.!

Also, I just toggled to the widescreen aspect ration so you can see what I see. Oh yes, black borders... ??

Also, when I play recorded raw video on 3 of 4 different laptops, it gives a wild intermittent pixelatied digital scramble in WMP(see attached screen cap) but Quicktime plays flawlesly.! on one of the laptops, I accidently forgot to open with Quicktime, and his WMP played the clip just fine??? I don't get it.

I clicked on properties of one of the saved finished movies and it is indeed saved as WMV not the other you mentioned.?

Last night, for the first time, I plugged in the cam and windows gave me a prompt that this device would be best used if plugged into a USB 2.0 port.!!?? that was wierd.

Is the wierd pixelation scrambling thing in WMP related to the reduced display size? Is it possible that 3 different machines have a problem child version of WMP? is it a 32 bit vs 64bit OS issue?

Pat,

Is that clip you showed loaded into WLMM one straight from the camera???? If so, it is flawed with the black borders before you ever start to edit it! What firmware do you have in your camera? Did you install the Release 2 versions yet? They are available here (see the link in the FAQs on post #3). If your camera is recording like that, I'd flash in fresh firmware.

If you loaded back in one that you previously editied, that would explain the black borders, I guess.

Also, go here and download the latest version of WLMM... it's well worth it with the added features.

The latest version of WMP (on my W7 PC) plays the native camera videos just fine... no need for Quicktime. It could be a codec problem on those other machine if they are not running the W7 OS, or don't have the H.264 video codec on their machines.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 16, 2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 04:41 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post

Pat
I may have missed it, but are you playing directly from the camera, or loading the file from the camera to the Hard Disk and then viewing it - in these various machines ?
because some programs definitly don't like playing direcftly from the camera - especially if the machine thinks if is USB1 - not enough bandwidth.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jun 17, 2011, 04:51 AM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
Which version of keychain is this on HK:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=11867

Is this last version(v3), is this OK?
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Old Jun 17, 2011, 05:01 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptor View Post

From reading the reviews seems to be a #7 camera.. Not OK
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jun 17, 2011, 05:21 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptor View Post

try the Mega key cam thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115052

Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jun 17, 2011, 07:44 AM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for a very informative thread. I purchased a cam from one of your post #3 vendors and it arrived in perfect working order.

I then used your tutorial to remove the time stamp and now I'm excited to attach the cam not only to my model aircraft, but a full scale plane too. I'm a student working on my PPL and I hope to use the cam to record some lessons for later review.

I wonder if there's a way to get audio from my headset to the cam? That would be perfect!
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Closed Thread