Cir2kuk is offline Find More Posts by Cir2kuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:12 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,344 Posts
Yes, can be fixed - change the pot.

OTOH will probably cost more than buying a new servo. So the actual question might be "Is it worth fixing this servo?"
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:14 PM
Chris R
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2009
713 Posts
Salvage a pot out of other servo?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 07:26 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
If you have several dead servos of the same brand, maybe its not worth fixing!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Dec 01, 2010, 05:15 AM
Chris R
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2009
713 Posts
This is what my supplier told me.

The Tower Pro MG16R servo uses a digital drive amplifier. This type of amplifier operates by centring around a very precise pre-set DC voltage level. In applying slight pressure you are offsetting the servo centring point hence the amplifier will respond as that very precise "centre" voltage is now incorrect. The amplifier will supply current to the motor and attempt to re-centre the output arm to its correct position. To operate digital servo correctly, all linkages and flying surface couplings including hinges must be very low friction otherwise the servo will be "hunting" around its precisely defined centre point and may be drawing excessive current.

It is not unusual for digital servos to emmitt a buzzing or high pitched noise, this is the amplifier continually driving the motor clock/anti clock in an attempt to find the optimum centring point. Digital servo therefore tend to draw lots more current than their analogue counterparts. I hope this helps.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:47 AM
Hitec service
San Diego
Joined Nov 2004
687 Posts
For a $15 servo, I'd call it a throw away unless you have another dead one you can steal parts from.
BRENDAN LUGO is offline Find More Posts by BRENDAN LUGO
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:46 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,344 Posts
$15? More like $9.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2010, 01:30 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Most digital servos tend to buzz while trying to center(specialy if not attached to a control surface)I was puzzled by my first digital servo until I actually hooked it up in a real world situation. The slight drag of the control is enough to avoid the over shooting of control. But what your servo does is another matter, for what its worth it would be less hassle to just discard it and keep the control horns and hardware if you have other of the same brand as spare.
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=6222
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Dec 01, 2010, 05:08 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,447 Posts
I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. the odds are really good that you''l damage it even more if you tried to take it apart. Nowadays the servo electronics are mounted on a small printed circuit board, that they solder directly to the motor and feedback potentiometer. when they assemble the servo, they stick in the pot and the motor and then solder the PCB onto them. So if you tried to take it apart, you would have to desolder the PCB from the motor and pot. Usually that damages the PCB, pot, and motor leads too.

But pushing down on the servo arm center usually does result in the feedback pot changing resistances and affects its output response. Now if you really want that feature, you'll need to find and use the isolated feedback potentiometer servos, where the feedback pot is mounted on a separate gear off to the side and not directly under the main output gear. But I haven't seen anyone advertising that type of servo in a long time. Plus they only did it for some standard size servos or larger, no mini or micro servos have that feature.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Dec 02, 2010, 03:06 AM
Chris R
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2009
713 Posts
Ok everyone thanks for your replys, will keep it for spares.