Old May 05, 2010, 03:57 PM
Don't ha8 me cuz I'm beautiful
Merlin, Oregon
Joined May 2010
44 Posts
Discussion
Thunder Tiger E-Hawk 1500 Electric Glider

[IMG][/IMG]
After years away from slope soaring, I am ready to return. However, we've moved, and now, here in So Oregon, there are no slopes that aren't tree-covered! So, I'm thinking of going electric, which will give me the option of thermal soaring.

1) Question: Does anyone have any experience with the Tiger E-Hawk 1500? www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p

I once owned an Aspire glider. I thought I might return to it, however the RTF electric version is underpowered. I have no idea whether or not this E-hawk is any better, however it is affordable, attractive, and probably performs a bit more enthusiastically than the Aspire.

2) Question: Should I go with a micro receiver, such as the Spektrum AR 6100e, which would persumably fit in the E-hawk fusealage, vs. the AR 6200, which is larger and has a greater rangebut may not fit. Any coments on this issue???

3) Question: I have yet to purchase my radio gear. I am thinking of the Spektrum DX6i, but am not sure which one to get (the dx6i microlite system which comes with the AR6100 receiver as well as 4 Spektrum DSP75 servos, vs. the the other DX6i which comes with the AR6200 and no servos). Both DX6i's are around $200. The former is a better deal, however, is there a downside? I am not looking for more than 6 channels. There are a plethora of good comments re. the Spektrum radio systems. Is there a downside to using Spektrum?

4) Question: Regarding lipo battery packs, is there one brand that is good compromise between price and quality that you folks might recommend? I understand that I'll need a battery with two plugs: one for connecting, and one for balancing. Is this correct?

Any other questions/comments would be welcome. I am pretty much ready to order the plane, but want to see what the forum folks might have to say.

Thanks!

Brian

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...#ixzz0n5hFnCwT
Brian Patrick is offline Find More Posts by Brian Patrick
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2010, 07:45 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,070 Posts
It's a great sailplane. I still fly mine every week. My only suggestion is to mount the aileron servos in the wing. I use a Spektrum 6200 on mine. I use a Zippy 1300 3s with the stock motor and prop. You can get it cheaper here:

https://www.thundertiger4u.com/store...idproduct=2814
gquiring is online now Find More Posts by gquiring
Old May 05, 2010, 07:54 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
I put mine together a few weeks ago. I left the aileron servo in the fuse. I'm also using a 3S1300 lipo for power (from the Parkzone Radian). Flies very well, more of a sport sailplane.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old May 05, 2010, 08:23 PM
Merlin, Oregon
Joined May 2010
44 Posts
Can you guys tell me how long you typically are able to fly this plane. I realize it is dependent on how frequently you turn off the throttle, and whether you search out thermals, etc...but, that said, can you guys just give me an idea?

Are you able to mount the servos in the fuse with it being such a narrow space? Is this why you suggest mounting them in the wings?

Brian
Old May 05, 2010, 08:53 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Patrick View Post
Can you guys tell me how long you typically are able to fly this plane. I realize it is dependent on how frequently you turn off the throttle, and whether you search out thermals, etc...but, that said, can you guys just give me an idea?

Are you able to mount the servos in the fuse with it being such a narrow space? Is this why you suggest mounting them in the wings?

Brian
Hitec 55's fit easily in the fuse. I put my aileron servos in the wing for spoilers and it's easier for me to disconnect a couple of servo wires instead of undoing clevis's.
Old May 05, 2010, 09:23 PM
fort lauderdale FL
Joined Jul 2009
144 Posts
great e glider,i got mine from Airland Hobbies. great price(like 85 bucks)with everything, a little tricky to work inside the fuselage but i did things my way like one servo for elevator(i don't use rudder) and did not use the metal bolts they give you to screw the wing down just tap a bigger hole and use nylon screws.run two servos for the ailerons that way they can also be used as spoilerons to help slow down your landings.love it with the stock motor as well.good luck and have fun......
andrewfl is offline Find More Posts by andrewfl
Old May 05, 2010, 09:39 PM
fort lauderdale FL
Joined Jul 2009
144 Posts
sorry Brian Patrick ,i did not read all your questions:battery3cell 1600mha 30c discharge is great,got mine from hobbyking china,great pricing.you will need an ESC, i use tower pro also from them like 8 bucks!Radio if i were you look into the hitec aurora 9 for the money it will stay with you for a long time,nice touch screen proraming(i use the 14mz to pricey).if your looking for good prices on glides check out R2hobbies they have a few nice electric gliders,also nitroplanes if they ever restock there inventory?
Old May 05, 2010, 09:50 PM
fort lauderdale FL
Joined Jul 2009
144 Posts
Brian Patrick also just saw your new so welcome to rcgroups nice guys here and a world of info for you to really get into rc flying!! its addicting,when your well informed....
Old May 06, 2010, 09:00 AM
Merlin, Oregon
Joined May 2010
44 Posts
Andrew, and all, thank you so much for these comments thus far. Each one teaches me something new. I can't believe those great glider prices at R2Hobbies! Thanks for the tips!!!
Old May 06, 2010, 04:37 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfl View Post
if i were you look into the hitec aurora 9 for the money it will stay with you for a long time,nice touch screen proraming(i use the 14mz to pricey)
I would be careful on the Aurora 9, I have one and there are a lot of folks experiencing the deadband issues. I made a video of the issue.

Aurora 9 deadband issue (1 min 33 sec)
Old May 06, 2010, 04:49 PM
foamhead
Joined Aug 2005
231 Posts
did you adjust trim or EPA???
Tentacle is offline Find More Posts by Tentacle
Old May 06, 2010, 05:00 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentacle View Post
did you adjust trim or EPA???
The problem is a hardware issue with the POTS. Hitec is very aware of the issue but they have claimed that 99% of us won't care / feel it. There may be a firmware update to address the issue but so far nothing. You can read all about in the radio forum on RCG.
Old May 06, 2010, 10:26 PM
fort lauderdale FL
Joined Jul 2009
144 Posts
i think that's a little much,who ever use that much aileron,especially on a protractor.to much time on your hands if you ask me....
Old May 06, 2010, 10:45 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfl View Post
i think that's a little much,who ever use that much aileron,especially on a protractor.to much time on your hands if you ask me....
The test was done to reduce the confusion of what deadband is. Some thought it was the center of the stick which is why I made the video. The protractor test was to also show there is a loss of throw in the deadband area. As for using that much is throw is all in the pilots skill set / need. Current JR and Futaba radios don't have any deadband issues. Hitec should just fix the issue and be done with it instead of debating what the pilot does.

And it's not just the aileron channel, some have the deadband on all channels including the throttle. So try and fly a collective pitch heli with that deadband and see how far you will get. The problem is real and needs to be fixed.
Old May 06, 2010, 11:12 PM
fort lauderdale FL
Joined Jul 2009
144 Posts
the protractor thing was humor.......