Jul 10, 2012, 06:29 PM
edf flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmbike
Speaking of upgrading, I'm leaning towards trying 7s on the stock set up. I've heard of some doing this. I'm using a castle 75 amp ice in the fuse and really don't plan on putting it in the thrust tube. How do you Jet Jocks feel about using 7s with trottle management and maybe bursts of 10-15 seconds. Would there really be much speed difference? thanks for the input. btw 5 away from my 200th. stephan
I'm running mines on 7s with a heat sink on the motor with no problems.
I have a ice 100.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2012, 07:35 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmbike
Bruce, that's good info to hear. Mine on 6s has an output of 1640 watts and around 60-65 amps. Can you run this 7s set up wide open for any length of time? Seems like it would get too hot. Also, the 7s 5000's must put the bird nere 8 lbs, but I guess with that much more thrust it's probably OK. Stephan
I've run WOT for well over a minute doing laps around the field then back off to half throttle to cool it off.
Theres a youtube video of a guy flying 8S at WOT continuously.
It took over 3 minutes to fry that motor!
After watching that wild video I knew 7S woul;d be okay.
The weight of the extra cell is pretty much unnoticable as long as your CG is at the same point as using 6S.
Jul 10, 2012, 09:59 PM
That’s an impressive video
he ran 8s on the stock motor for a good few minutes, its really moving along as well

Habu 32 EDF Stock Motor 8S (3 min 25 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller
I've run WOT for well over a minute doing laps around the field then back off to half throttle to cool it off.
Theres a youtube video of a guy flying 8S at WOT continuously.
It took over 3 minutes to fry that motor!
After watching that wild video I knew 7S woul;d be okay.
The weight of the extra cell is pretty much unnoticable as long as your CG is at the same point as using 6S.
Jul 11, 2012, 10:59 AM
Tried getting my Habu32 airborne last weekend but it was a mess. Could not get up to speed on our grass runway (too short, grass too long, ground very soft/moist). Then me and my buddies shifted to a local park with a pavement, unfortunately the width was poor and the wheel tracking even worse so I could not get anywhere near enough take off.

Since then I have watched some youtube vids and it seems like the Habu needs quite a long run up (on grass or pavement). I don't have access to that here so I am going bungee and have today bought a Jepe bungee launch system.

Anyone using bungee with their Habu32? If I can get in the air in 10 metres I'll be in business
Jul 11, 2012, 12:14 PM
I thought the best way is to use some kind of ramp. It gets faster up to seed + the proper incidence @ the end of the ramp. But I could be wrong
Jul 11, 2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasek
I thought the best way is to use some kind of ramp. It gets faster up to seed + the proper incidence @ the end of the ramp. But I could be wrong
That particular dolly is not designed for a Habu 32 but for a Mig. There might be some experimentation/modifications required!

I will have to install a tow hook on the CG to get it to work for starters...
Jul 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
Watt me worry?
That particular dolly is not designed for a Habu 32 but for a Mig.

Why would it make a difference on the make of plane...........??

Subscribed...I like not having to install landing gear.............low wing loading is a plus.

We want video!!
Jul 11, 2012, 02:36 PM
2024 EDF Jet Jam, June 6-8
You want the tow in front of the cg.
Jul 11, 2012, 02:51 PM
3DHOG
Quandry
listen to Robert, hook goes in front of the cg. he just saved you a Habu32
Jul 11, 2012, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd
Quandry
Cool, will give that a try.

BTW the idea is launch with retracts up and then land with retracts down. When the dolly gets here I will try to figure out if the low tail plane is going to need some kind of a skid or maybe padding on the dolly.

Only other question that comes to mind is - bungee with flaps on or off?
Jul 11, 2012, 03:54 PM
Life's short - Enjoy!
Quote:
Quandry
... old stuff indeed... 1/3:2/3rd for the hook position

For more info:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1219087
Jul 11, 2012, 03:58 PM
Life's short - Enjoy!
and flaps up. The bungee will give all the speed you need

PS
Though if you bungee take-off, you might as well save the gear for some other project and slide her in. Way easier
Jul 11, 2012, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee 57
and flaps up. The bungee will give all the speed you need

PS
Though if you bungee take-off, you might as well save the gear for some other project and slide her in. Way easier
Concur, skip the retracts. Landing on a rough grass field will put the highest stress on retracts, which means you will have to invest in upgraded struts at a minimum, which will still require some maintenance after x number of landings.

For 7-8lbs, just get a good bungee cord, you will need 25-30 lb of pull, going by the measure 3-5 lbs of pull per lb of plane.
Jul 11, 2012, 07:23 PM
Jamie
I think belly landing this plane will be a problem. The not so horizontal Stabs stick down lower than the belly. They would sure take a beating.
Jul 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
3DHOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnbec
I think belly landing this plane will be a problem. The not so horizontal Stabs stick down lower than the belly. They would sure take a beating.
yep!!! not to mention the flap and aileron pushrods and horns

Quick Reply