New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2015, 05:54 PM
Find More Posts by boondock11
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
Discussion
Twin Motor R2 Hobbies Silver Cat 36" Build

Hi all, I wasn't planning on creating a thread for this project but when asked if I was going to I figured it wasn't such a bad idea. This is my first venture in brushless motors. Growing up I was a nitro guy for anything boats/cars/trucks. To be honest I didn't even know what brushless was until a few months ago when I got the R/C itch again.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to all the suggestions and insight that will come my way from this thread. I cherish the challenge of learning something new thats complex and hope this build can come out well. Here are some pics of the boat.

-Jeff
boondock11 is online now Find More Posts by boondock11
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2015, 06:14 PM
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
Ok, now for the fun stuff.

I just received the motors and ESC's (which I had a lot of help with picking out). I bought 2 HobbyWing 180a ESC's and 2 Leopard 4065 1950Kv motors (water cooling jackets on the way) and plan to run 4s to start.

Sadly, when I went to install the motors to see how they would look I ran into a bit of a snafu. First the shaft adapter looks to be for a 3 or 4 mm motor shaft. I'll need to measure the flex shaft and order the proper size. I also noticed that the mounting holes don't match to the wood motor frame. I'm looking around now to see if there are any motor mount conversions, if this is even possible?

I'm also curious about the water pickup. Since I'm running double the amount of electronics I would assume I need two water pickups? Currently, I only have one from the rudder. However, I did find a rudder online that has dual water inlets that's supposed to be a direct fit for this boat. Do you think this is necessary or is using a Y or T split acceptable to run two different lines to each motor and ESC?
Last edited by boondock11; Feb 16, 2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by scorpion1
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,688 Posts
Nice build here, she outta haul some butt!

You dont need a Y, just run a whole system to each if you have two pickups
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Feb 18, 2015, 08:34 AM
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
Ok, good to know, thanks. I'm going to put in an order for the dual water pickup rudder and see how that goes.

My biggest challenge will be mounting the motors correctly. The motor mounting holes in the boat look to be about 5mm smaller than my motor, which is 25mm.

Any ideas on how I can make this work? I measured to see if I could drill new holes but there isn't enough room. My first idea was to epoxy a new piece of wood to the mount and drill new holes. However, if I could find a water cooling motor mount that can convert a 20mm mount to a 25mm motor I think that would be ideal, I'm going to keep searching the web (I'm not even sure if something like this exists?).
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:24 AM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,688 Posts
What motors do you have?

If you didnt have motors I would suggest these Leopards which are the exact spacing and shaft diameter you have in your setup already. These 2860's are very strong motors and are used alot in twin cats due to size limitation. They are actuallly 28 x 64mm and can be set up to produce in the 1000-1200 watt range, which would give you 3 hp total.

They would bascially be like running a pair of 3656 motors which will get your boat well into the 50's.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=leo-2860
Old Feb 18, 2015, 04:31 PM
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
I have two Leopard 4065 1950Kv motors. I would like to make these work if I can. Buying a new shaft coupler shouldn't be a problem. I'm just concerned with getting it mounted properly.

I will say I should have done better research on the sizing on the shaft and mounting holes. I was overly concerned about getting the electronics correct so I didn't fry anything on the first run, that I overlooked other important information.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 06:35 PM
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
Finally have had some time to work on this thing. Just finished installing the motors. I'm crossing my fingers that it's done correctly. One thing that has me worried is the resistance at which the motor's turn. One spins with a lot less resistance than the other.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:54 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,688 Posts
looks great! Can't tell you much about the resistance part, i have never had a twin..............kinda for that reason, but someone here will chime in.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 05:52 PM
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
Thanks. Not sure if you can tell from the photo, but I'm repainting the hull (no disrespect to R2Hobbies and their great paint job, I just want something different).

I went to Home Depot today to get some spray paint but of course there is a city ordnance banning spray paint, so that's going to have to wait. I'll have some pics up soon on where I plan to mount the ESC's and run the water lines (I'm still waiting on a dual water pickup rudder from Australia, a little skeptical at the moment if it will actually come).
Old Mar 11, 2015, 07:39 PM
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
A little progress, mapping out how everything is going to go. Batteries will go behind the motors. I plan to crisscross the ESC wiring, left ESC to right motor, right ESC to left motor to take advantage of the extra length of wiring, I don't really want to trim them down.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:25 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondock11 View Post
I went to Home Depot today to get some spray paint but of course there is a city ordnance banning spray paint, so that's going to have to wait. .
What the heck kinda city you livin in.............seriously.............ban freakin spray paint
Old Mar 12, 2015, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by Dennis Manning
RcBoater
Joined Feb 2014
309 Posts
Scorpion 1= reason for the banning of spray is people were getting HIGH off the fumes and when you read directions, it reads , vent fumes to outside and ETC! Some may say it causes cancer of which I went thru and am free of cancer, hard road.
Dennis Manning is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Manning
Old Mar 12, 2015, 01:36 PM
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Manning View Post
Scorpion 1= reason for the banning of spray is people were getting HIGH off the fumes and when you read directions, it reads , vent fumes to outside and ETC! Some may say it causes cancer of which I went thru and am free of cancer, hard road.
And to help against graffiti activity. I agree, it's very silly, but I suppose it does make sense. I live in Chicago fwiw, I'm curious if other cities do this??

I'll have to drive out to the burbs to get what I need.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 01:57 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,688 Posts
So if 5% of the population are chemically dependant or hoodlums the rest of the population must suffer.................Its beyond rational belief.

Can you bring it in from somewhere else and paint in your own home?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 05:04 PM
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
So if 5% of the population are chemically dependant or hoodlums the rest of the population must suffer.................Its beyond rational belief.

Can you bring it in from somewhere else and paint in your own home?
I totally agree with you.

I just have to leave the city to buy, I'll be able to paint in my own home or outside no problem.