SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2015, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by jbarchuk
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog350 View Post
My Champ has been sitting on the hobby table for a long time.
Keywords 'long time.'

Quote:
first battery would not run the motor, neither did the second, third or fourth. I decided the maybe the motor was tired.

So I got in the parts box and put in the new motor. At the time I thought it looked a little used? Turns out it was a used pooped out motor also.
Almost all metals oxidise. Oxidation kills conductivity and gets muuuch worse over time. When they're brand new the metal is pretty clean and after even a few months I doubt that there are many that are dead out of the box. Once they've been used even for a short time the arcing and sparking causes what the -motor- sees as 'damage.' There are cuts and pits and burnt spots which offer less surface area for the brushes to contact the commutator, and a rougher surface. Also more surface area for oxygen to attack the metal.

Even occasional use of a motor will cut through the surface oxide and in a sense clean it.

If the oxide is too thick the super-low power available from a lipo might not be enough to cut through the oxide.

Plugging in a normal micro lipo and seeing no prop rotation and flipping t he prop a little won't be enough to cut severe oxide.

Two possible fixes for a comatose motor...

Attach 2 D-cells in series which can supply a huge -punch- of amps -if- there's enough conductivity between the brushes and the commutator to prime the pump.

Physically wear down the oxide by chucking the motor in a small electric drill running in *reverse* and holding the motor by hand.

For either of those ideas it might take a few hundred to a few thousand rotations to wear the oxide down enough to lower the resistance such that a normal tiny lipo will work.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2015, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by pjdog350
Joined Apr 2013
1,000 Posts
I had posted earlier that I had to replace the motor in my Champ the other day. I really didn't know what E-Flite motor I had replaced the champs motor with. Today I found out that it was a MSRX motor. The MSRX motor is a smidgen longer. Gives more power and all in all is a better performer. Good thing it was an 8MM motor cause that's all that I had as spare motors.
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350
Old Apr 07, 2015, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by The Jackalope
Aimin at the ground an missing
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
362 Posts
I wouldn't run the msrx motor in the champ. It pulls over 2amps, and Browns out the receiver, or acts like it's hitting low volt cut off part way through the flight. The champ motor (white endbell) is only supposed to pull 0.8amps, and the p-51 motor (black endbell) pulls around 1.5amps.
The Jackalope is online now Find More Posts by The Jackalope
Old Apr 07, 2015, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by bhoov128
John 20:1-18
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
10,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
I wouldn't run the msrx motor in the champ. It pulls over 2amps, and Browns out the receiver, or acts like it's hitting low volt cut off part way through the flight. The champ motor (white endbell) is only supposed to pull 0.8amps, and the p-51 motor (black endbell) pulls around 1.5amps.
The champ brick isn't supposed to be rated to handle the p-51 motor but it does. I don't think it has much overhead beyond that so you're probably right.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Apr 08, 2015, 01:21 AM
Find More Posts by The Jackalope
Aimin at the ground an missing
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
362 Posts
I actually tried the msrx motor in my champ, and found those results. I then put it in my Sukhoi xp. It took the power, but flew like butt with the added nose weight.
The Jackalope is online now Find More Posts by The Jackalope
Old Apr 08, 2015, 03:00 AM
Find More Posts by pjdog350
Joined Apr 2013
1,000 Posts
I know you guys have allot more knowledge than me about these little motors However the Champ is flying fine. I had four flight yesterday morning and she did real well. It has allot more power as now she will do a loop without any trouble at all.

I even had a flight last evening when it was a little windy still and the champ did OK. I think I'll stick with it a while just to see what will happen!

Thanks for the heads up though. I do appreciate it.

Guess I'll better get some more motors because MSRX motors are all that's left in the spares box!

Jack
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350