Mar 25, 2015, 09:28 AM

Any Ideas on What This Motor is?

Friend of mine in The UK needs info on this Vintage RC Plane Motor.

The only markings on it are A and 214 on the bottom.

See pics.

Thanx in advance...
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2015, 10:15 AM
Pretty sure it is a British made Atlas from 1946
Mar 25, 2015, 12:51 PM
Thermals, Tom
Looks like a Morrill Hornet.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15794235@N06/15828759868/
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Mar 25, 2015, 01:11 PM
this Morrill simplex is for sale on ebay but has intake tube at the side where the Atlas had it at the back also the exhaust is different
Mar 25, 2015, 03:43 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalrock69 View Post
Friend of mine in The UK needs info on this Vintage RC Plane Motor.
The only markings on it are A and 214 on the bottom.
See pics.
Thanx in advance...
OK, here it is.
Nice old engine, made in Dunstable.
This one is a great runner.
Mar 26, 2015, 05:52 PM
Thermals, Tom
Here's some more info
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Mar 26, 2015, 09:24 PM
I found this 1941 Elf catalog in a pile of old magazines.
Apr 07, 2015, 10:56 PM

Australian Manx and Meteor 10cc engines

These engines were designed by Peter Larsen in the late '40s when American engines such as the McCoy and Dooling were very hard to get over here.
The engines shown are not original Larsen production, but from a small batch of 9x engines I made some years ago to the original drawings.
Performance was comparable to the Hornet .60 and McCoy .60 Series 18.

sabre250
Apr 08, 2015, 05:55 PM

early Japanese ignition from the '40s

These may be of interest.

The Hope Super 60 is quite a rare engine. I do have two of these, both believed to have been purchased as glow engines (sans timers). The Hope was a fragile engine, poorly made from poor materials. Both my engines have suffered failures of the shaft, conrod and piston. I rebuilt the engine shown, but the second example is rather sad.

The OS with the metal tank is a Type 10 #6786, the other OS is a Type 12 #9258. The tank fitted to the Type 12 is of the same organic material as the Mamiya 60 tank mentioned in the Glow thread.

In criticising the early post-war Japanese engines, it must be remembered that these were produced in generally appalling conditions, with questionable materials and machinery. They were sold to the occupying Allied servicemen at ludicrously low prices compared to US-made engines of similar types, resulting in only a meagre income to the Japanese makers, but possibly enough to maintain their families in those straightened times.

sabre250
Apr 08, 2015, 06:47 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Hi David-

Thanks for posting the Hope and OS ignition pics. I owned ( fairly recently ) a Hope Super 60 which was local ( within 60 miles of me ). I had to sell this one as I had no way to restore it properly.

I do have a Hope B ignition ( sans timer) which is decent condition. It also was a locally obtained engine.

I'm sure most if not all of this vintage of Japanese engines were , as Bill posted, brought back to the USA by returning US serviceman....

Best Regards,

Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Apr 10, 2015 at 10:04 PM.
Apr 08, 2015, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMac View Post
Hi David-

Thanks for posting the Hope and OS ignition pics. I owned ( fairly recently ) a Hope Super 60 which was local ( within 60 miles of me ). I had to sell this one as I had no way to restore it properly.

I do have a Hope B ignition ( sans timer) which is decent condition. It also was a locally obtained engine.

I'm sure most if not all of this vintage of Japanese engines were , as Bob posted, brought back to the USA by returning US serviceman....

Best Regards,

Jeff
Glad you liked them, Jeff. US servicemen certainly brought back most of these early engines, though a small number found their way back to Australia with returning servicemen.

David
Apr 09, 2015, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre250 View Post
These may be of interest.

The Hope Super 60 is quite a rare engine. I do have two of these, both believed to have been purchased as glow engines (sans timers). The Hope was a fragile engine, poorly made from poor materials. Both my engines have suffered failures of the shaft, conrod and piston. I rebuilt the engine shown, but the second example is rather sad.

The OS with the metal tank is a Type 10 #6786, the other OS is a Type 12 #9258. The tank fitted to the Type 12 is of the same organic material as the Mamiya 60 tank mentioned in the Glow thread.

In criticising the early post-war Japanese engines, it must be remembered that these were produced in generally appalling conditions, with questionable materials and machinery. They were sold to the occupying Allied servicemen at ludicrously low prices compared to US-made engines of similar types, resulting in only a meagre income to the Japanese makers, but possibly enough to maintain their families in those straightened times.

sabre250
Those first two pictures show the type 8 and is that second a 9 ? or an 8 variation ? no one really knows for sure and they do'nt know at the OS factory neither... but they are two different types of cylinder fixing. The last two pictures do show two different kinds of OS engine mounts. I have never seen a plastic fueltank like that on the type 10 (plastic yes I know organic made out of fishbone is it not ?) Nice to see you do have the OS ignition plugs as these are harder to find than the engines...
Last edited by Reginald; Apr 09, 2015 at 02:00 AM.
Apr 09, 2015, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Those first two pictures show the type 8 and is that second a 9 ? or an 8 variation ? no one really knows for sure and they do'nt know at the OS factory neither... but they are two different types of cylinder fixing. The last two pictures do show two different kinds of OS engine mounts. I have never seen a plastic fueltank like that on the type 10 (plastic yes I know organic made out of fishbone is it not ?) Nice to see you do have the OS ignition plugs as these are harder to find than the engines...
Reginald,

I have one of the round engine mounts for the OS Type 10, but not the other you show. Very nice!

The OS (and Mamiya) tanks were reputed to be from bean curd. The OS Type 12 tank is definitely original.

All the early OS engines were in the possession of Peter Chinn, who returned them to OS, before he passed away. He may well have been responsible for the OS Timeline sheets, on which we all rely for ID. I was fortunate to see and handle many of the early engines and have no doubt OS were pleased to get them, as they had kept very little.

Peter Chinn wrote the Instruction Sheets for OS, at least into the late '80s.
So, now you know why they were so concise. Peter also wrote the manuals for Jaguar Cars.

cheers
David
Apr 09, 2015, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre250 View Post
......Peter also wrote the manuals for Jaguar Cars.
cheers
David
Aha ! photo from mid 1989
Apr 22, 2015, 01:42 PM
AMA 7224
Postman just delivered this one . It's a last regular production run engine from 1942, serial # 22D7 and not prefect but is tight with almost no end play.A ll intact except for the intake stack being cut on an angle but it don't bother me. We'll see how she runs.
Last edited by Leadchucker; Apr 22, 2015 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply