May 06, 2012, 06:37 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
OK,i was able to get 8mm of up flap with plenty of room for the ailerons to respond....I put in 2mm of down elev to start.....i will go out tomorrow morning and give her a couple more rips,and play with the spoilerons.
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2012, 07:40 PM
Voodoo: you need the elevator to move the same direction as the ailerons when making flaps or spoilers.
May 06, 2012, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa
Great to hear of a perfect maiden! Guess that means the fun's over for us lurkers. Tape will help tie the structure together to prevent damage from ground loops. In the air it likely doesn't help since the wing loads are centered very near the bolts. Don't use loctite on the wing bolts, but do use it on the prop. Metal-geared servo screws can benefit as well. Put the ailerons up for landing as they said, likely with some elevator compensation trial/error. If you somehow happen to be one of the 19 people in the world using a non-Spektrum radio (very unlikely) you can use a slider for spoilerons and avoid lots of drama.
The 9503 is technically spektrum but has two slider/rotary knobs. Works great too.
May 07, 2012, 02:21 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child
OK,i was able to get 8mm of up flap with plenty of room for the ailerons to respond....I put in 2mm of down elev to start.....i will go out tomorrow morning and give her a couple more rips,and play with the spoilerons.
I would start out with no elevatormix
May 07, 2012, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke
I would start out with no elevatormix
That is the way i have it now....But what a HUGE difference the spoilerons made 4 out of my 5 flights today i was able to land her very close to me on the first shot.I tried it a few different ways,and i did not like having the up elevator seeing how no matter where i put it,the plane always felt like it wanted to balloon (i did not like that felling on the approach turn,plus i had to push the nose on landing). Right now i have neutral elevator and 5mm up,and the plane comes in with the nose digging down,but i feel very comfortable just working the up elevator to control that (but i plan on playing around a bunch more on the spoilerons).So it seems there are not to many APC props that are a real good match for my 4 cell setup (wish they made a 5.5X5.5) After 5 flights i could just tell the 5X5 was just not using the power system (4 minute flights and the packs came down cold with 30% left in them) It was flying great,but just was not getting that gut wrenching SCREAM and that Hauling Butt feeling i expected......So i put on the only other prop i could get my hands on,the 6X5.5....and #$%@ ^%$# was that an awesome flight then i could tell the power system was working and making some NICE POWER...hands down the fastest i have ever flown,and the plane was just loving the extra speed.....Not to mention the AMAZING sounds this plane makes-and the ECHO of the prop screaming through the trees Now i did not have my watt meter out there seeing how i did not expect to get bored with the speed,or break my last 5X5,so i do not know what was going on,so i did some mixed flying,and everything came down pretty warm...But nothing like my EDF,s that come down HOT....time to order some Graupner 5.2X5.2 as per jackosmeister ....Can you guys tell i am LOVING this experience
Last edited by VooDoo Child; May 07, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
May 07, 2012, 12:21 PM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Sounds like you are haveing fun The Swist is by far the best racer I have flown, as you also found out it has a very good lock in feeling to it.
May 07, 2012, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke
The Swist is by far the best racer I have flown,
Hallo,

I define a "racer" as a plane to race arround pylons and the best one is that one winning the race!

I dont have a Swist but what i have seen right now looks nice,this one seem to be a proper option for F5d-racing but the target in race is to get the lowest laptime with the given energy.

2-pc wing , triple carbon,4-flap wing and a fuse good for 6s 4100 Lipo add weight and drag and therefore it reduces performance.

Newest F5d designs try to center weight in the middle of the plane to increase agility.
Fuses follow the development of accu-technology,a tight fit for 5s 1500 is big enough to reduce surface and CWxA.

I agree, it is nice to know that the Swist can handle big accus ,high weight or even a turbine with tons of thrust and up to 280mph.
And sure, the Swist is obviously a good deal for all those out there looking for speed and fun,but it still have to get prooved in competition and to be the best racer it should be able to win races!

Dont take me wrong, i like the turbine projekt and enjoy your reports!

Regards

Yello
May 07, 2012, 03:06 PM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Ok, I'm a 110% showflyer and would never compete. By the best racer I mean flying performance rather then the lowest laptime. Compareing it to the Freudenthaler Suprise, Hawk F5B, Baudis Banana sloperacer, the smaller pylon racers or even the Baiojet the Swist is way more precise. It's probably due to the long fuselage and strong wing compared to the short and flexible Surprises/Avioniks.

The Swist have been around for a while in diffrent versions, I do not know what laptimes it or it's sisters can do. However It's no secret if you want to win the F5D cup you must fly the Avionik...
May 07, 2012, 04:33 PM
It seems like the our only difference is the definition of "racer"!

It is actually not a big challange to beat Hawk, Surprise or Banana in highspeed -precission, they are not built and designed for this.

Focus in F5d is on aero efficiency, turn performance an steering precision.

The D05 at the moment seems to be the plane to beat,but there are several new projekts on the way to go there,maybe the Swist is able to go on that level.

One key seem to be the cross -tail which gives highest elevator precission with simple linkage.

It took a long time to get my V-tailed F5d-Flipper on the right way, i had to build 5 or more fuses and tails to get a proper slopefree and hard linkage,the new slimer and longer fuse gets a crosstail aswell!

Until i saw your projekt for me triple carbon in a f5d-sized plane was just waste of carbon and i am sure that people, after reading your thread, mostly will order the triple carbon version althoug most of them would never go close the the limit even of the single carbon version!!

What i saw from pictures, the Swist seem to be almost properly built but as most of these commercial F5ds there seem to be still a lot of improvement options.
The spar doesnt seem to be state of the art,if it is stiff enough it is for sure too heavy,UMS-rovings or UD pre-pregs with vertical laminated and carbon reenforced balsa would reduce weight and increase stiffness.
Carbon layers seem to be quiet resin-rich and all three carbon layers should be at the outer shell, at the inner shell a carbon layer is more or less useless and a thin glasskin will do the job with lower weight.
It looks like they really put three layers of carbon plus foam in ailleron and flaps which increases weight and the risk of flutter and for sure doesnt help to get sharp flapends!.

But obviously it works fine so i dont want to niggle anymore!

Yello
May 07, 2012, 09:23 PM
You down with EPP?
Anyone flying Yuri's X-Plane? It seems those guys are flying it with Big folders, but I am sure it is capable of some high speed pylon competition
May 07, 2012, 10:05 PM
Sure it'll work
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
Anyone flying Yuri's X-Plane? It seems those guys are flying it with Big folders, but I am sure it is capable of some high speed pylon competition
I thought I read somewhere that someone is setting up his X for F5D style flying.
May 07, 2012, 10:12 PM
200mph +
Sebbe is, and Jacko has a second fuse which was going to head that way (before the mishap ).

Might be others, but currently no one has done it I believe.
May 07, 2012, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykotic
Sebbe is, and Jacko has a second fuse which was going to head that way (before the mishap ).

Might be others, but currently no one has done it I believe.
Mishap ? What happened?
May 08, 2012, 12:40 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
I tried to buy one but they are not commercially available, only flown by a hand picked fiew. Cool initiative but not for the main stream.
May 08, 2012, 12:45 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreyello
It seems like the our only difference is the definition of "racer"!

But obviously it works fine so i dont want to niggle anymore!

Yello
Yes, the point of view always decides who is insane

Proper arguments lifts the discussion and leads evolution. I guess many manufacturers keeps an eye on these sort of threads too, all constructive input is a benefit to all.

Quick Reply