1,019 Posts
Mini-HowTo
AV25 recorder usb-charging

Name: av25.gif
Views: 15
Size: 193.5 KB
Description: http://www.newmp3technology.com/av25.htm
http://www.newmp3technology.com/av25.htm

This is a quick tip how you can charge the NewMP3Technology's AV25 through the usb port. This device comes with a mini-usb port and a separate connector that takes a DC barrel plug to charge the battery. This is not very convenient because if you forget to bring your special charge lead then you're not able to charge it. I just want to come home, connect to the pc using usb and charge the battery while I'm viewing/copying the files.

All you need to do is solder 1 wire. Here's how:
- Open the case by 4 screws.
- Unscrew the board (2 screws) and gently slide and lift it.
- Solder a wire to the +5V usb jack. This is the solder joint on the sub-board that is closest to the usb jack. See first picture, top-right.
- Flip the board over and solder the other end of the wire to the +5V barrel jack. This pin is on the backside of the power barrel jack, see second picture, top-left. I secured the wire with some hot glue. You don't want a dangling +5V wire end if the solder joint breaks.

If in doubt, check the pins beforehand with a multimeter.

Cheers,
Martin
Martin7182 is online now Find More Posts by Martin7182
Last edited by Martin7182; Apr 26, 2014 at 04:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2014, 07:04 PM
Find More Posts by Vantasstic
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
19,953 Posts
Nice mod Martin. I was wondering the best way to apply external power from my GS without having to find the small barrel plug. The USB power connection is a nice idea.

The other week I was doing some flight tests when I, ummm, flipped my little quad in the grass. I was only using my FPV-Japan recorder at the time...I had recently updated the firmware in hope that'd help prevent lock up in static. Unfortunately it still locked up on me...perhaps I left it sit in static to long. I didn't need it to retrieve my quad, but if I did it would of been useless as the video corrupted on lock up. I'm thinking the AV25 might be the better unit to use. The biggest downfall with it is the slow (only x4) FF/FRWD speed. On a long flight it'd take a while to get to the end of the video to find the 'crash' data...if needed. The FPV-Japan has x20 FFwd/FRwd which really speeds things up. I guess I'll just use both right now while I figure out the best way to pick/use the most reliable unit that continues recording all the time.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:13 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
19,953 Posts
I did the power mod today...no issues. I actually kind of like it as plugging in the USB powers up the recorder without having to hold the power button in for 5-8 seconds.
Old May 04, 2014, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by tritongr
Joined Apr 2005
51 Posts
Av25

Hi

May I ask for the AV25

- How long the battery lasts during recording ?
- Is it possible to turn off the lcd screen while recording?
- Can we charge it from a usb port?

Thanks
tritongr is offline Find More Posts by tritongr
Old May 04, 2014, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by Dimitris76
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritongr View Post
H
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...30&postcount=1

/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old May 04, 2014, 04:40 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
19,953 Posts
Quote:
Hi

May I ask for the AV25

- Is it possible to turn off the lcd screen while recording?

Thanks
I'm not sure how long it'll last on the internal battery power...haven't tried it.
The LCD appears to be on whenever it is running
The stock recorder won't charge via the USB connector; however, doing the simple mod (posted earlier) allows you to power/charge it via the USB or barrel plug.
Old May 05, 2014, 02:51 AM
Joined Apr 2005
51 Posts
Thank you very much .

I understood that with stock setup you can power/charge it with the barrel-usb cable and with the above mode you additionally have the possibility of doing this with the usb-usb cable .

Now I wonder how can I power/charge AV25 from a lipo battery that I'll have on the ground station.

Thanks again
Old May 05, 2014, 09:22 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
19,953 Posts
Quote:
Thank you very much .

I understood that with stock setup you can power/charge it with the barrel-usb cable and with the above mode you additionally have the possibility of doing this with the usb-usb cable .

Now I wonder how can I power/charge AV25 from a lipo battery that I'll have on the ground station.

Thanks again
All you need is a 5v regulator between your GS battery and the recorder. That's how I connected my FPV-Japan recorder and will be doing the same with the AV-25. I've even used an old brushed motor ESC to do this. Just clip off the motor leads and use the servo lead +/- wires to connect to your recorder.
Old May 05, 2014, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by Martin7182
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
1,019 Posts
Quote:
More than 2 hours. I've tested it today at home, but eventually the device shuts down, leaving an empty file. So you shouldn't do that. I left the house when it was at 1.75 hours. But based on the available space after shutdown, the recording was between 2 and 2.5 hours.

When not recording or playing back the dvr blanks the screen after [30s/60s/180s/never] and it shuts down at [3min/15min/60min/never].

Martin
Martin7182 is online now Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old May 05, 2014, 04:09 PM
Joined Apr 2005
51 Posts
Thank you all.
Very useful info indeed.

I think I'll give AV25 a try.
Old Nov 06, 2015, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by garryk
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
3,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin7182 View Post
Attachment 6714830
http://www.newmp3technology.com/av25.htm

This is a quick tip how you can charge the NewMP3Technology's AV25 through the usb port. This device comes with a mini-usb port and a separate connector that takes a DC barrel plug to charge the battery. This is not very convenient because if you forget to bring your special charge lead then you're not able to charge it. I just want to come home, connect to the pc using usb and charge the battery while I'm viewing/copying the files.

All you need to do is solder 1 wire. Here's how:
- Open the case by 4 screws.
- Unscrew the board (2 screws) and gently slide and lift it.
- Solder a wire to the +5V usb jack. This is the solder joint on the sub-board that is closest to the usb jack. See first picture, top-right.
- Flip the board over and solder the other end of the wire to the +5V barrel jack. This pin is on the backside of the power barrel jack, see second picture, top-left. I secured the wire with some hot glue. You don't want a dangling +5V wire end if the solder joint breaks.

If in doubt, check the pins beforehand with a multimeter.

Cheers,
Martin
Do you have a link for this?
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Nov 06, 2015, 08:35 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
19,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Do you have a link for this?
I don't think the AV25 is available any more. To bad. For the price it worked fine...nice and light too.