1,723 Posts
Notice that "if" in my post :=)

Ari.
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
Hi All...been a fascinated with winged RC Rocket Boost Gliders for many years.Great to find this thread! Been out of the hobby for 10 yrs but I did build several HP versions of both the X-20 and upscale F14 when I frequented the Lucern Test Range in the day. BTW I used pretty much the same system for wing swing on F14 although I used a servo activated glide release mechanism attached to the metal rod right before the 90 degere bend. It was big and heavy and flew undepowered on a H-90. It glided(I say laughingly) for about 20 secs and came in very hot. 2nd flight I had the elevon limit switchs set and didn't have and elevator authority....smack! I rebuilt it and it sits collecting dust.

Great to see the X-20 flying. I tried to do this as well and it went unstable pretty quickly. The funniest thing was i was actually try to fly the dynasoar still attached to the Magnum booster. Memories :-)
Mach25 is offline Find More Posts by Mach25
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:18 AM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Sep 2005
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach25 View Post
Hi All...been a fascinated with winged RC Rocket Boost Gliders for many years.Great to find this thread! Been out of the hobby for 10 yrs but I did build several HP versions of both the X-20 and upscale F14 when I frequented the Lucern Test Range in the day. BTW I used pretty much the same system for wing swing on F14 although I used a servo activated glide release mechanism attached to the metal rod right before the 90 degere bend. It was big and heavy and flew undepowered on a H-90. It glided(I say laughingly) for about 20 secs and came in very hot. 2nd flight I had the elevon limit switchs set and didn't have and elevator authority....smack! I rebuilt it and it sits collecting dust.

Great to see the X-20 flying. I tried to do this as well and it went unstable pretty quickly. The funniest thing was i was actually try to fly the dynasoar still attached to the Magnum booster. Memories :-)
Get your rocket gliders updated and come out to the launches at Luncern, second Saturaday of the month. You just missed ROCstock, one of the two big launches that ROC puts on each year.

Here is a video of one of my Rocket glider launches.
X-62 flight ROC32_0002.wmv (1 min 4 sec)
clipper is offline Find More Posts by clipper
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
Ltr 20 years ago

Yep I missed it my son now 13 I'm hoping he will get into it. Seems to like video game more but hey what I can say,,Hope to be out there soon. Thanks for the reply.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:40 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,438 Posts
Here is the maiden of the upscaled ALCM, very nice hands off boost, first glide was just a few clicks shy of a perfect glide, next flight was hands off glide as well except for turning and flare. The high quality setting isn't too bad...1080p.

Frank

Large ALCM AG-86A Cruise Missile rocket boosted RC glider (1 min 33 sec)
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Nov 21, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Aug 2007
439 Posts
Hey Frank,

Congratulations on your well-written article in Sport Rocketry.
All the great photos you used was a nice touch.

X30
X30PILOT is offline Find More Posts by X30PILOT
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:57 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,438 Posts
Thanks very much, I was lucky that Gary got some nice flight shots a week before the article was due, those were a nice addition to my static pictures.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by X30PILOT View Post
Hey Frank,

Congratulations on your well-written article in Sport Rocketry.
All the great photos you used was a nice touch.

X30
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Natter
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:08 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,438 Posts
Here are two quick flights of my X24A lifting body that I built over the weekend for rocket boost only, my previous version in silver with a pusher motor was 17 oz, this is 14 rtf with a 24mm E-6rc and flies quite well for a 14" wide airplane, you can see just a bit of side to side roll that I fight on the way up, but glide is not too shabby.

Frank

X-24A lifting body RC rocket boosted glider (1 min 21 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:04 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,817 Posts
Outstanding work, Frank! Great flights and glides.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
Very Cool
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:18 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,438 Posts
Some maiden flights this morning...

Got a chance and some decent weather to fly my X-15-3 Delta configuration and my Spaceship one, got in three flights on that one.

It was a struggle to trade off weight for stiffness on the spaceship one, it's tough to get to balance with any weight in the rear at all...Still glide is very very good, altitude is a bit low, but the E-18 was starting to induce a bit of flutter, and the E-12 is a better motor. To go to 32mm would mean I'd have to reinforce more, and add 6 ounces total to the flight weight to keep the CG and the boost would be just as anemic...At least I was able to get a spaceship one to boost and have a very good glide and keep it relatively simple.... Hope you like the video:

The X-15 Delta is basically my profile X-15 stretched as appropriate and wing changed to delta and added some angled plates to give more of a body/tunnel shape to it but keep the weight down.

Spaceship One and X-15-3 Delta Configuration RC Rocket boosted gliders (0 min 0 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:21 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Thank you for the video Frank, I always enjoy your flights!

Ari.
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
883 Posts
+1

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:05 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,438 Posts
Two more flights today, my bomarc A model and my updated X-2 using only a full flying tail for pitch and roll, is a bit lighter than my aileron/elevator version I originally designed...Enjoy the flights, I was brought good luck by wearing my new xmas present, a limited edition Accutron Astronaut watch....shown next to a 1962 original ad for the tuning fork accutron watch.

Frank

Video at:

Bomarc A and X-2 rocket boosted RC glider flights (1 min 55 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Dec 30, 2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,958 Posts
Great flights burkefj. Makes me want to get off my butt and build some.

Looks like you're using a standard rail / rod launch pad. Anything unique about it?
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal