Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:29 PM
Clovis CA
Joined Dec 2004
84 Posts
Discussion
Sunnysky Tri-copter motor selection

Hey guys,
I've started the process of laying out my first tricopter build. I've been flying 450 Pro and 500 size FBL helis for a couple years so I have some general knowledge. After much reading, I decided to base my build off the RC Explorer tricopter design. I'll be starting out with the new Kk2.1 FC and a set of 20a Afro ESCs on a 450 sized scratch built tricopter frame made from wood.

Here's where I'm having difficulty. I'd like to start out using my 3S 2200mah heli batteries since is have plenty from my 450 Pro heli. I'd also like room to grow in case I decide to add a gopro and use larger batteries. I want to use Sunnysky motors to start but which one. Considering my 3S 2200mah batteries and no video platform to start, I'm not sure if the Sunnysky KV980 II is better or with the potential for video and larger batteries is the KV800 II the way to go. Or... is the only significant difference between the two motors cost.

So... as I sit here in my hospital bed recovering from this morning's surgery feeling pretty good from the pain meds, I'd really appreciate a little nudge in the right direction. My feeling is go with the KV800s but I don't have the experience to know if they'll be hard on my 3S batteries. Maybe the KV980s would be best with my 3S batteries and still have plenty of potential for carrying a camera platform. Which way would you go and why?

Thanks guys,
Dave
Scarman is offline Find More Posts by Scarman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:04 PM
gyro, simonk n call it a day
United States, NJ, Hamilton Township
Joined Jan 2013
274 Posts
Assuming these are both the same size motor...2208/2212/2216 etc. Id say go with the 800's. Only because you plan on adding more payload in the future. They both should fly great, the 980's will be a little faster with less lift and the 800's will be alittle more stable plus more lift. Depending on the size of motor check your ESC rating with the 800's they may need a 10-12" prop with a 30A esc (im not sure). Wishing you a speedy recovery!
lockwood is offline Find More Posts by lockwood
Old Dec 10, 2013, 05:52 PM
Clovis CA
Joined Dec 2004
84 Posts
After running some numbers on Ecalc, I think you're right. The 2216-12 KV800 II is probably the way to go. If needed, I can always parallel my 3S 2200mah batteries to extend the flight time. I'll probably pick up some larger mah batteries soon anyway.

Thanks,
Dave
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:13 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
I went with the 980kv on a Turnigy Talon Tricopter. Full FPV setup with a 1350g AUW. Every gram you save in weight is extra flight time, so keep that in mind.

I got 6 minutes on 3S 2200 spinning 10x4.7 props, and 9-10 minutes on 3S 4000 in mixed flight.

I do have some instability but I think that's mostly due to booms that are a little too short. Even an extra 1-1.5" would make a difference in stability and avoid the prop wash interacting with the frame at high speeds. I don't have current data as I've since cannibalized the frame for its FPV gear for a new quad build.

A video's worth a thousand words, so here's a sample of the speed available on this setup on a moderately windy day (endurance drops accordingly to about 8-9 mins or so at speed):
SunnySky motor bearings failing at 150 flights (0 min 0 sec)

Edit: Ignore the title of the video...the rattle you hear is audio interference from feeding the GoPro from a switching power supply with no battery installed. With the battery installed the crackling sound went away. Bearings are still going strong at just shy of 43 flight hours.
Invid is online now Find More Posts by Invid
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:52 AM
Clovis CA
Joined Dec 2004
84 Posts
Thanks for the input. That's the kind of info I was hoping to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid View Post
I went with the 980kv on a Turnigy Talon Tricopter. Full FPV setup with a 1350g AUW. Every gram you save in weight is extra flight time, so keep that in mind.

I got 6 minutes on 3S 2200 spinning 10x4.7 props, and 9-10 minutes on 3S 4000 in mixed flight.

I do have some instability but I think that's mostly due to booms that are a little too short. Even an extra 1-1.5" would make a difference in stability and avoid the prop wash interacting with the frame at high speeds. I don't have current data as I've since cannibalized the frame for its FPV gear for a new quad build.

A video's worth a thousand words, so here's a sample of the speed available on this setup on a moderately windy day (endurance drops accordingly to about 8-9 mins or so at speed):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEP8dx366Og

Edit: Ignore the title of the video...the rattle you hear is audio interference from feeding the GoPro from a switching power supply with no battery installed. With the battery installed the crackling sound went away. Bearings are still going strong at just shy of 43 flight hours.