HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:28 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
1,996 Posts
Video
Skywalker X-8 (slightly modified)

Well, I got the X-8 finished recently and the next day dawned bright and sunny, so it was maiden day – yikes.

I have been working on this model and some others on and off for six months and having it finally ready to go was something of a relief. Still have to paint it, but that is going to be quite a mission with a 2.55m wing span and a Luft ’46 scheme, so I wanted to make sure it flew OK before investing the time and money in paint and decals. Mine is designed just for park flying and ridge soaring. I used part of the load carrying capacity to strengthen the wings with cf rods, glass and brown paper to finish – tough as. Fuse is glassed and elevons are glassed balsa.

Flying weight at the mo is around 3.3kg which is a reasonable weight to hand launch and having a carbon prop sitting on the sharp end of 700watts is a bit of a worry. I use the 2x2x1 fingered grip with sand paper attached to the finger holes and the maiden launch went great. I have done several thousand pusher, EDF and slope launches so kinda getting the hang of it.

Really thrilled with how it flies. I had two flights of about ten minutes each just exploring the handling and getting a feel for her. The landings were all they are cracked up to be. Like trying to land a run away train with a 20:1 glide ratio - on my first attempt I gained 10 feet. Haven't bothered with any spoilers etc as my planned landing grounds are huge.

Here's a short vid of the maiden.

Blohm und Voss 219.01 fighter. (2 min 33 sec)

Looking forward to getting some paint and squadron markings on her.
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Jazilla 3.2m flying wing
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:27 AM
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
1,996 Posts
The B & V 219 is back from the paint shop and ready for action

RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Jazilla 3.2m flying wing
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:13 PM
Joined Feb 2013
7 Posts
cockpit

Hi KiwiKid, what kind of cockpit set do you use and where did you get them from? I've been looking for one but haven't found the matching ones.
vyatranto is offline Find More Posts by vyatranto
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:33 AM
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
1,996 Posts
Hi there - details of the cockpit hardware are:

Canopy: a Sig Mfg product (available from a lot of hobby shops) - see pic below.

Pilot: from HobbyKing (on backorder at the moment, but they are restocked regularly): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x62x72mm_.html

Cockpit interior: from HobbyKing for F-86 (again on backorder!) : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_Cockpit.html
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KiwiKid; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:41 AM.