HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:09 AM
Sweden, Dalarna County, Aspeboda
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Discussion
Flair Tiger Moth 1/4 scale

Just started building my DeHavilland Tiger Moth from Flair in UK. It's a kit the "old fashion way" Laser cut isn't invented yet and full scale drawings lie in the future. I have to say that the instructions ar very informative and helpful, they are black and white xerox copies. The HW was all spread around in the box, plastic bags were broken.
Anyway, I'm on my way and I'm going to share some pictures and learnings from the build.
You have to put up with my English, I'll do my best!

I have chosen the LASER180 as power source, its been preinstalled and the fitting seem good!

Below, some pics from start to now! just starting with the upper covering. Next will be the landing gear and then the wings and after that the tail.....it's going to last all winter....
krokko is offline Find More Posts by krokko
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:16 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,039 Posts
Looks great. I'll be following along watching this one.
WCB is offline Find More Posts by WCB
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokko View Post
Just started building my DeHavilland Tiger Moth from Flair in UK. It's a kit the "old fashion way" Laser cut isn't invented yet and full scale drawings lie in the future. I have to say that the instructions ar very informative and helpful, they are black and white xerox copies. The HW was all spread around in the box, plastic bags were broken.
Anyway, I'm on my way and I'm going to share some pictures and learnings from the build.

I have chosen the LASER180 as power source, its been preinstalled and the fitting seem good!

Below, some pics from start to now! just starting with the upper covering. Next will be the landing gear and then the wings and after that the tail.....it's going to last all winter....
Upper covering in place.....needles and tape, needles and tape.........
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:41 AM
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Upper covering in place.....needles and tape, needles and tape.........
Started with the main wing spars, could someone help me and interpret the measures, I'm lost between inches and centimeters, it doesn't just add up! 1020mm - 974 is 46mm, on the plan it says leave 35.5mm. ?? well, maybe 10,5 mm isn't anything to worry about?
Last edited by krokko; Oct 22, 2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:12 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
452 Posts
krokko
There seems to be a discrepancy there.
Forget the description and work directly on the full size plans, that is your best bet.
I work equally well in metric and inches if you need help let me know.

mike
mikmerl is online now Find More Posts by mikmerl
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined May 2012
210 Posts
Tiger Moth

This is a really neat plane and a wonderful kit of a neat plane - and your photo's look great. I've got a Flair Puppeteer new in the box and I am impressed by Flair's kits. Long and short there are 2.54 cm/inch and 25.4 mm/inch. That makes a centimeter equal to 0.393" and a millimeter equal to 0.039".

Nice build keep building and Yeah it aught to fit the plans. Cliffc
Cliffc is offline Find More Posts by Cliffc
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmerl View Post
krokko
There seems to be a discrepancy there.
Forget the description and work directly on the full size plans, that is your best bet.
I work equally well in metric and inches if you need help let me know.

mike
hi Mike and
thanks for the tip. There isn't any full size plans with the Flair Tiger, except for the wings!! Just sketches and descriptions, my point is that the measures doesn't match wich is a pitty! Well, I'm getting along, just thinking a little bit more then normal, and adjusting....
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Quote:
hi Mike and
thanks for the tip. There isn't any full size plans with the Flair Tiger, except for the wings!! Just sketches and descriptions, my point is that the measures doesn't match wich is a pitty! Well, I'm getting along, just thinking a little bit more then normal, and adjusting....
I have the landing gear dry fitted with all solderings done, a friend with the specific silver soldering skills helped me out.

Also, the main spars for all four wings are glued and sanded to fit the spruces, working on the rear spars right now (I'm starting to see the light in the tunnel, just hope that it isn't the train (again)).

cabane struts also soldered, trying to figure out how to build and fit the center wing part?"

/kajman
Last edited by krokko; Oct 24, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:49 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
Finally...SOMEONE is building a Flair Tiggie !!

Dear Krokko:

The PIPE from New England USA here...I've been out of work due to the recession (since September 2008) and when I can SOMEDAY get back to work...AND return to the hobby once more...the Flair Tiger Moth in quarter scale (usually nicknamed the "Tiggie" in American English) would be a GREAT pick for doin' up with four stroke power, much like you've done.

The Laser 180 has a camshaft drive setup, exactly like an Enya single cylinder four-stroke glow ignition engine has, that WILL allow you to get the engine running CLOCKWISE with no additional parts needed...that's an important feature for the Tiger Moth, as if one has a desire to REALLY "go the extra distance" in making their Tiggie even more "scale" than most...

...as I'd be doing in replicating Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome's own Tiggie, seen here nose-on with its pilot Bill King - it's the real-world Tiger Moth closest to me "over on this side of the pond"...with the Flair kit, I'd make DANGED certain that I select a model engine (or "mill", as in hot rod slang from over here) that CAN be run in the exact same direction as shown above in the photo, for a Flair Tiggie someday !

The Saito four-stroke mills in the same size range as your Laser (the FA-150 and FA-180) DO have something available that functions as a reverse rotation camshaft . It's basically the same "left cylinder camshaft" that Saito's 48 cm3 (3.0 cubic inches) displacement size opposed twin four-stroke mills use, and as the left side cylinder on Saito's opposed twin cylinder 48 cm3 engines DO have their intake and exhaust port locations reversed in relation to the single-cylinder mills that they're based upon, using the "left cylinder camshaft" from those on a single-cylinder Saito mill of roughly half the displacement of the 48 cm3 opposed-twin mill DOES work to reverse the original engine's rotation, to get the "clockwise" rotation of a full-sized Tiger Moth's de Havilland Gipsy Major inverted istraight-four mill with either of the mentioned Saito engines.

To get back to the kit, it DOES appear to be a quality kit...please let me know by private message if you'd like scanned versions of either the Aeromodeller or Bjorn Karlström scale drawings of the Tiggie to help with your build sent along...and I've got a goodly number of photos of Bill King's Tiggie already to help with such a build someday. I've also got scans of the main LG sketches of the Tiggie (as well as of the cockpit area!) from one of the RCM&E Scale Annuals from many years ago that could be of help, so if you'd like those as well, please send a private message to get in touch.

Just hoping your Tiggie flies well after completion, whether you decide to "clockwise" your Laser 180 or not (clockwise rotation Zinger wood props for such a "conversion" are listed on the Internet)...I KNOW that I'd be doin' the engine "clockwising" for certain, whenever I can get a chance to get myself a Flair Tiggie kit in the future after getting back to work!

Also, how about some "bare-bones" Tiggie restoration photos to help with your build as well...on the Net, as one might expect!

Best of luck and Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Last edited by The PIPE; Oct 24, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:12 AM
United States, TX, San Angelo
Joined Nov 2007
91 Posts
KajS,

Nice looking build! you will love the Laser as they are so smooth! Please keep posting so we can follow your progress.

Carl
CarlMalone is offline Find More Posts by CarlMalone
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:14 AM
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIPE View Post
Dear Krokko:

The PIPE from New England USA here...I've been out of work due to the recession (since September 2008) and when I can SOMEDAY get back to work...AND return to the hobby once more...the Flair Tiger Moth in quarter scale (usually nicknamed the "Tiggie" in American English) would be a GREAT pick for doin' up with four stroke power, much like you've done.

The Laser 180 has a camshaft drive setup, exactly like an Enya single cylinder four-stroke glow ignition engine has, that WILL allow you to get the engine running CLOCKWISE with no additional parts needed...that's an important feature for the Tiger Moth, as if one has a desire to REALLY "go the extra distance" in making their Tiggie even more "scale" than most...

...as I'd be doing in replicating Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome's own Tiggie, seen here nose-on with its pilot Bill King - it's the real-world Tiger Moth closest to me "over on this side of the pond"...with the Flair kit, I'd make DANGED certain that I select a model engine (or "mill", as in hot rod slang from over here) that CAN be run in the exact same direction as shown above in the photo, for a Flair Tiggie someday !

The Saito four-stroke mills in the same size range as your Laser (the FA-150 and FA-180) DO have something available that functions as a reverse rotation camshaft . It's basically the same "left cylinder camshaft" that Saito's 48 cm3 (3.0 cubic inches) displacement size opposed twin four-stroke mills use, and as the left side cylinder on Saito's opposed twin cylinder 48 cm3 engines DO have their intake and exhaust port locations reversed in relation to the single-cylinder mills that they're based upon, using the "left cylinder camshaft" from those on a single-cylinder Saito mill of roughly half the displacement of the 48 cm3 opposed-twin mill DOES work to reverse the original engine's rotation, to get the "clockwise" rotation of a full-sized Tiger Moth's de Havilland Gipsy Major inverted istraight-four mill with either of the mentioned Saito engines.

To get back to the kit, it DOES appear to be a quality kit...please let me know by private message if you'd like scanned versions of either the Aeromodeller or Bjorn Karlström scale drawings of the Tiggie to help with your build sent along...and I've got a goodly number of photos of Bill King's Tiggie already to help with such a build someday. I've also got scans of the main LG sketches of the Tiggie (as well as of the cockpit area!) from one of the RCM&E Scale Annuals from many years ago that could be of help, so if you'd like those as well, please send a private message to get in touch.

Just hoping your Tiggie flies well after completion, whether you decide to "clockwise" your Laser 180 or not (clockwise rotation Zinger wood props for such a "conversion" are listed on the Internet)...I KNOW that I'd be doin' the engine "clockwising" for certain, whenever I can get a chance to get myself a Flair Tiggie kit in the future after getting back to work!

Also, how about some "bare-bones" Tiggie restoration photos to help with your build as well...on the Net, as one might expect!

Best of luck and Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Hello Pipe and
thank you for your kind words and your offerings. I'll wait until later before deciding on scale details.....no hurry - it will take some time before the frame is ready, Flair is leaving most of the work to the builder, including not being able to provide a fuselage plan 1:1. Not mentioning one of the wing plans were the text is reversed, yes you can read it with the help of a mirror, being a kit builder has its ups and downs....back to work

rgds/krokko
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:59 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
452 Posts
Quote:
hi Mike and
I was just thinking.

Many years ago I built an OK Pilot (Japanese) 1/4 scale Tiger Moth kit.

In my case the model had very good full size drawings and almost zero instructions (the reverse of your situation).

The model built into a beautiful Tiger Moth that has served me well for 20 years.

mike
mikmerl is online now Find More Posts by mikmerl
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Lucky You!

I'm right now in building the spars for the wings. It will take some contemplation but I will get it right. There is a lot of tube cutting and soldering and hinge producing from thin plates but it's OK, like I said earlier, I needed something for the winter, and that it is!

rgds/krokko
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:22 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
If plans would be helpful at this late stage

Hi Krokko,

I don't know if plans would be of any help at this late a stage in your build, but Traplet have various sizes of plans for the Tiger Moth, if it would help, contact them. They are an English model magazine publisher.

I am very seriously considering ordering a set of their Tiger Moth plans and a laser cut short kit (they call it a Laser wood pack) for their 88" span 1.20 to 1.80 4 stroke size, which they offer the short kit of (I think they only offer a short kit of one size). I do not see you mentioning anywhere the span of yours, but if it is 88" and you would like to consider ordering their plan, it is #MW3208.

Sackie
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmerl View Post
I was just thinking.

Many years ago I built an OK Pilot (Japanese) 1/4 scale Tiger Moth kit.

In my case the model had very good full size drawings and almost zero instructions (the reverse of your situation).

The model built into a beautiful Tiger Moth that has served me well for 20 years.

mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackie View Post
Hi Krokko,

I don't know if plans would be of any help at this late a stage in your build, but Traplet have various sizes of plans for the Tiger Moth, if it would help, contact them. They are an English model magazine publisher.

I am very seriously considering ordering a set of their Tiger Moth plans and a laser cut short kit (they call it a Laser wood pack) for their 88" span 1.20 to 1.80 4 stroke size, which they offer the short kit of (I think they only offer a short kit of one size). I do not see you mentioning anywhere the span of yours, but if it is 88" and you would like to consider ordering their plan, it is #MW3208.

Sackie
Hello Sackie,

I have their plans for the Tiger Moth. To be short, their plan does not fit the Flair kit, dimensions on span and length are roughly the same, but that's about it. I believe that if you can find all the balsa and hardwood you need then you should be ok with the traplet plan and their laser cut short kit.

My tiger:
Wingspan 2260 mm (=88,9 inch)
Weight 7.3~9 kg
Length 1840 mm

rgds/krokko