HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by JimStanmore, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:11 PM
Changing one life at a time...
United States, NJ, Pemberton Township
Joined Aug 2010
375 Posts
Trader Rating: 104
Foam Delta Airframe - $3 Shipping

This is a delta foamie that I cut and built a year ago. I can't remember or locate what plans it came from and it is not my best build :-) Constructed of double layer DollarTree foam ( RL Adams XPS, 9 mm) covered in packing tape and detailed with Sharpies. Includes 2 T Pro 9g servos. You might want to change the hinging, I used hot glue for the first time with this model. This was my first delta and the start of my learning about their characteristics and design factors.

As part of my quest to find easy to build nice flying models that kids will think look cooler than the trainers we use for our activities, I build a lot of experiments. They don't always look pretty, but they are true to the plans and builder's intent - at least I try to do that. Unfortunately, I don't always get a chance to fly them. Either because they may be too difficult to build well, I feel they will be too much for a beginner to handle, I don't have the right power system or don't have the time. This one has been sitting around because of lack of the correct motor (I only have 1300kv max,) not being a beginner plane and no time to fly.

I have determined that it is going to continue sitting there unflown for another year or two because I have decided to use larger deltas for the cool factor (and stability.) It has never been flown or test glided. It has lived as a display model and it is time for it to take to the air.

It is set up for elevons and should fly with a 1700-2000kv parkjet motor in the 300 to 370 class.. A slot is cut for the receiver and velcro attached for the ESC and battery.

Wingspan: 20.5" (521 mm)
Length: 20" (508 mm)
Weight w/ 2 servos only: 6 oz (170 g)
Motor: 1700 -2000kv parkjet (300-370 class?)
Prom slot: 7 1/4" x 2 1/2" (184 mm x 63.5 mm)
Channels: Motor, elevons
Includes: Airframe, 2 T Pro 9g servos, stick motor mount

Rules:
1. NO pm's (please)
2. Show that it will get to fly and not sit in your hanger like it did with me.
3. Kick in $3 towards shipping.
4. Post or pm me a flight report - I really would like to know how it flies.
5. Decision will be made at noon tomorrow (Sunday, 16 Sep 12)
JimStanmore is online now Find More Posts by JimStanmore
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Housecleaning Time
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
23 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Hey i would love to give this to my friend! He is low on cash and recently had to sell most of his planes! He has a 20 amp esc and a park 370 that would probably work great on this! Thanks for considering me!
JKlugman14 is offline Find More Posts by JKlugman14
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:54 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,007 Posts
Trader Rating: 18
This would be awesome to have. I would use it for those days when you don't feel like flying your expensive planes. It would be a fun plane to throw around. Thanks for considering me!
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2009
483 Posts
Trader Rating: 76
we will have a fun fly section next month at our local school. this will be more a easy to build trainer for us to let new comers to have a taste of flying. or a little demo to show kids how to make something simple and still able to have fun.
bigtruck169 is online now Find More Posts by bigtruck169
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:16 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Trader Rating: 31
I have a spare turnigy 2200kv motor and a 30 amp esc. I've been keeping those available for my next project. I cannot get my RadJet to fly for some reason and my fucntioning fleet currently consists of skywalker and bixler. Neither one is a fast plane and I have the need for speed

I'd really love to own a plane like this. None of my plane are too agile and it would be really neat to learn fly 3d with a plane like this. If I won't get this one, maybe I'll go to dollar tree and get some foam
I also got bunch of CF so I will most likely reinforce the plane before doing any acrobatics.
I also have 15 feet of blue leds and 15 feet of white leds I bought on ebay. If I ever get "bored" of this plane, I know what to do to make it more exciting
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Last edited by Koo; Sep 15, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:10 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
I could give this plane a good home, lately I have been looking for a plane that I can just throw in my car and go when I get home from work since my flying field is right down the street. Right now my hanger consists of a couple nitro powered planes that require more setup time than I am looking for right after work. Good luck to everyone throwing their hat in the ring.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined Aug 2010
375 Posts
Clarification

Just a reminder that this only comes with two servos. You need to supply your own receiver, ESC, motor and LiPo battery.

For example one of the two motors at the top at 1700kv:
http://strongrcmotors.com/Motors.htm (the SEMFF combat pilots like them: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012551.)

If you don't have any electric stuff, a motor, 20A esc, and 2s or 3s 800-1000 mAh battery should cost under $40 including shipping.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:52 AM
Joined Aug 2010
375 Posts
koo29, out of curiosity did you reduce the throws on your RadJet? I know I had to set my Extra 300 elevator throws down to 1/4" each way to keep it from snapping.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:18 AM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
I would love to fly this plane, and it would definitely get some use if I had it. I have been flying for about 5 months now, and I believe I have enough experience to step up to one of these.

I currently fly an FMS-1280 (easystar clone), which I have modified to grow with my flying skills. I have dabbled in scratchbuilds, and plan on continuing to do so. I'm dreaming of that Polaris Seaplane daily!! My first build was an F-22 made out of DTF. She looked beautiful, but I made her a bit heavy (may she RIP). Here's a link to the thread:

My beautiful F-22

I'm not promising that she'll last a long time, but I am promising that I will get as much enjoyment out of her as possible. I've got the desire, I've got the know-how, and I would definitely love the opportunity to use this model to help me grow my flying capabilities. The data I collect while doing this is yours, I would happily let you know how it turns out. You can see that I've not been a member here long, but I AM active...and I do like to post results to all my planes.

Thanks for the opportunity, I do hope that you choose me!
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Aug 2010
375 Posts
Time for Selection

OK, it is High Noon EST and time to make a decision.

zmonster gets the Delta listed because I suspect it may need tweaking and he is very experienced, BUT... everyone gets something:

JKlugman: two SEMFF combat builds so your friend gets one and your new high school club gets another airframe plus a new activity. Choose two from: Mig 3, FW-190, BF-109, F6F Hellcat, Zero, P-47, P-51 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=wbpu.)

bigtruck: a couple of easy build deltas similar to listed airframe

koo29: my Prime Jet8 that I was going to give away next.

Nin3rsAllDay: 30" Tucano. Drop in a battery and fly. Should be fun and interesting.
EDIT: "Drop in a battery" is day-to-day after you finish putting it together :-)

Swammy1979: A surprise, but I think you will like it.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimStanmore; Sep 21, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Aug 2010
375 Posts
NOTE:
1. Delta goes out tomorrow, everyything else by Thursday. I didn't expect to be too wimpy to pick one winner :-)
2. Airframes (except listed Delta) are ARF and will require gluing of wings, tail, motor mount, etc.
3. Airframes (except listed Delta) are unfinished. Many people maiden before going crazy with finishes. Fly 'em white or go crazy, it's up to you. FWIW, I recommend Fred's Secret Sauce (use Search.)
4. PM your address and choices, if necessary.
5. $3 shipping contribution is optional, it is your choice.
6. These airframes were from my personal use. They were either already made/cut or sitting on my work table waiting to be cut. While they are mechanically accurate, there may be a fray or slip here or there (mainly internally.) I have started to buy CNC cuts from dr rc or dz1fsb - beautifully clean and accurate; it all depends on if I have more money than time or need the therapy of kit building.

Thank you everyone for participating. This was my first time giving away something like this and it has been both fun and more challenging than I expected. If you are not familiar with scratchbuilding, this is an opportunity to investigate a great part of our hobby. For instance, I may never build another balsa wing or buy a foam one after seeing Experimental RC's videos in the ScratchBuild University (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587275.)

Have fun and I hope you enjoy your new aircraft.

Jim S.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:40 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
That's pretty awesome, I can't wait to see what the surprise is!! Your generosity is very.....generous (for lack of better words). I will send you a PM with my info.
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:44 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
How much in cash would you take for this including shipping?
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:27 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Trader Rating: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStanmore View Post
koo29, out of curiosity did you reduce the throws on your RadJet? I know I had to set my Extra 300 elevator throws down to 1/4" each way to keep it from snapping.
To be honest, I haven't touched it for 3 weeks now :P after I get her all fixed up and the nose straight, I will definitely lessen the throw. Maybe a 3000kv 800watt motor was kinda an overkill lol
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
375 Posts
goldsworthy: I could make you one, but dr rc CNC cuts a real nice one for $25 shipped:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1719198

dz1fsb has a CNC kit for the Prime Jet8 available for around the same price.

I would love to cut one for you, but I don't want to encroach on anyone's copyright. I may be selling some of the one's I've built and flown for myself in the future, butnot right now.

Jim
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread