brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:32 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Todd, that video was just down right scary!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:52 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
Even thought I've temporarily grounded my P-47 fro now because if this and the possibility it will happen here...your'e right there needs to be a little more prop clearence between the prop and cowl pieces to keep thing together and safe....

I'm now going to shim the motor further forward on the P-47 to give it a bit more gap
Perfect, what you thinking like 2-3mm? Cant see going any further
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Perfect, what you thinking like 2-3mm? Cant see going any further
Yup about that much
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:39 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Another thing is due to the angle of the motor to compensate for left torque, the props are angled towards the cowl more than normal. That is part of it as well.

Brandon, that video IS scary but in a good way. I think it will force FMS to act. I don't want the props to look non-scale in relation to the cowl (say an inch or more) but they definitely need to be spaced further apart than they are.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:49 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Before the disaster... (Ain't she purdy?)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Another thing is due to the angle of the motor to compensate for left torque, the props are angled towards the cowl more than normal. That is part of it as well.

Brandon, that video IS scary but in a good way. I think it will force FMS to act. I don't want the props to look non-scale in relation to the cowl (say an inch or more) but they definitely need to be spaced further apart than they are.
Yes it is...in an educational way...

I sure hope so for both the P47 and the F4U

And yes.... she's gorgeous, and I'll bet she will fly even better without the tanks and missle package on her
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
this is partly why I haven't flown the P-47 lately....after hearing about the last prop strike and the cause....been working on that and a solution for a while now, and rigging her for "Berdini" sound....YES...she has sound now, same as Brian's...and wouldn't it sound awsome mine and GOT in tandem together in a low swooping straffeing pass (Woody Material )
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:14 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
wouldn't it sound awsome mine and GOT in tandem together in a low swooping straffeing pass (Woody Material )
Sure would!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:24 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Lmao!!!.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:29 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
crud! That reminds me I missed the Simpsons special tonight
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:43 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Aros, sorry to see your crash!!!

I have to say IMHO the closeness of the prop to the cowl is not the problem. It's the HUB itself. You have to be very careful when putting the blades in the hub & tightening things up. I know exploding props have been talked about a lot on the 1400mm P-51 thread.

I have a story to tell. Last week I got VERY lucky with my 1700mm Mustang. I had flown it twice on Sun. without any problems. It was the second & third flights after I had done the prop mod.

The next day I took it out to fly again. Here's where I got lucky! I always have the prop removed for transport. I had put the wings on & the prop was next. I grabbed it & slid it on the prop shaft. Put the washer & nut on & tightened it up. Then I grabbed the spinner. I rotated the prop to line my marks up I have on the back plate & spinner for a perfect balance. While I was rotating the prop I saw a line on the edge of the back plate. I thought humm? I didn't put that line/mark on there. So I looked real close. Yep, you guessed it. It was a crack in the back plate that ran from the side through the under neath one of the blades but not all the way to the center. I was close though.

Now I had quite a few flights on this back plate before the prop mod. There was NO crack in it a few days before when I did the back plate. What happened I'm sure is when I did the prop mod I OVER TIGHTENED the screws & cracked the back plate. The plastic they use is very brittle. All's it takes is one tiny little crack & it's ruined. One more flight with mine & it would have exploded just like Aros's I'm sure.

Now I'm not saying this is what happened for SURE to Aros's F4U. I'm saying it is a very probable cause. When I assembled my P-47 prop I made sure it was very quiet in the room so I could hear if the plastic cracked when I tightened up the nuts & bolts for it.
I didn't do this for the Mustang days before & I remember I was in a big hurry to get the thing together. Had the TV on & I'm sure I would have heard it crack if it was it had been quiet.

I also think as small as the hub is for the Corsair & P-47, it is a lot less forgiving thasn the Mustang back plate.

Just be extremely careful guys when you assemble the props for these Planes.

I really think the Back Plates & Hubs should be made of a nylon instead of ABS plastic. Nylon won't crack as easy as ABS. Yes it's heavier but way safer I think.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:23 AM
Captain Kangaroo
Australia, QLD, Headington Hill
Joined May 2009
459 Posts
I could not agree more !!
These prop hubs will have to be strengthened before someone has a serious accident .
The use of ABS plastic for this critical component must be addressed.
I have every intention of purchasing one of these airframes but sad to say will hold off for a while now over safety concerns.

Ray.
raybaines is offline Find More Posts by raybaines
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:57 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,897 Posts
+2 agree!
Most of the suppliers in China , despite there best efforts don't understand what the increase in power and size is doing to these planes .
In the 79" lx P40 , I replaced the plastic spinner with a carbon fiber spinner and the 3 blade ( single blade prop) with a three blade carbon fiber prop .
Places like Chief aircraft, Troy build models, Espirt Models cater to the larger electric flyer .
Troy build spinners are pre cut , chief aircraft requires cutting , most have identical scale shapes offered to meet any needs.

I learned my lesion with larger fuel kits offered by CMP ( china model products) .
The 73" P40 comes with a nice plastic spinner that explodes under high rpms, luckily no one was hit with pieces but the reports were all over web.

It's not an easy pill to swallow because its about $45 to $75 dollar investment in the CF spinner but well worth the safety .
You can see my spinner in the LX thread before it was painted , very good quality .
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm