HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2003, 07:00 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2002
19 Posts
newbee question speed 400 motors

I am breaking into electric flight and have been cruising through the catalogs and came across a quandry many times. I see many kits including 6V speed 400 motors and 7cell battery packs. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't 7 cells put out 8.4V? Is this right? If so, what is a 6V speed 400 rated to run at?
Please elaborate.
Confused
tkms002 is offline Find More Posts by tkms002
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2003, 10:34 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
The motor voltage ratings are nominal, more reflecting the rpm/volt rating than anything else.

You can run a 6V motor on 12V if you want to, as long as gearing and prop choice keep amps down to around 10 or so.

Dean in Milwaukee
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Aug 20, 2003, 06:11 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
This may interest you. I did a teardown on a 400 after 530 flights on 8 cell packs (which means 8.8 volts under running conditions).
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=teardown

As Dean said, the voltage stated is nominal only. Nobody runs 6v 400's on only 5 cells.
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Aug 20, 2003, 06:56 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2002
19 Posts
all motors or just speed 400s

Does that rule apply to all motors or just speed 400's? If not, how do I know which ones?
THanks
tkms002 is offline Find More Posts by tkms002
Old Aug 20, 2003, 07:59 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,266 Posts
We're equal opportunity motor abusers. Run a 6v motor on eight cells, a 7.2v motor on ten, etc. The killer of motors is amperage and that's what you need to keep an eye on.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Aug 23, 2003, 08:32 AM
Woohoohoohoohoo! AGAIN!!
Manly Vale, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
119 Posts
sweet, finally I think I may get the explanation I need. Amps. What relationship do amps have from the battery to the speed controller to the motor?
Is it possible to burn out a speed controller because it can't handle the amps produced by the battery?
In the same vein is it possible to burn out a speed controller because it can't handle the amps that the motor is capable of using?

Thanks,
R.
Randori is offline Find More Posts by Randori
Old Aug 23, 2003, 11:20 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Frying ESC's

G'day mate!

Think of your battery as a passive holding tank for electrons. It doesn't actually matter what capacity battery you use. It's what you ask it to produce that matters. It will only supply current [amps] through the ESC when the motor asks it to. So, if you load your motor [and/or throttle up too much] so that it draws more amps from the battery than the ESC can deal with [for example, drawing 15amps through a 5amp ESC], then you may find expensive smoke coming from the ESC. There are also limitations to cell count [i.e. voltage] for ESC's too, so don't use a 10 cell pack on an ESC rated for only 6.

Cheers, Phil

P.S. I trust the All Blacks are a match for the Wallabies this season, but I assume, in the absence of any news over here that your cricketers were probably for too good for the NZers as usual last summer!
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi