Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:55 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
I went a little overboard with the motor Hobie :P

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15169

It's an 1800kv, the 1400kv wasnt in stock, and I didnt want to wait any longer...
I have some props lying around, so I'll try some of them out.
I guess the wings will fly off this thing when I go WOT...

Did you use longer sticks inside the wings? They seem to be a bit short.

I'll post some videos when the weather gets better.
yep ..... dont worry about the short wing joiners ..... if you put 700 watts through this airframe the wing wont be around for the ride .....

I think the idea is you bond 50% of the wing joiner into one side of the spar and leave the other side free ..... instructions not really clear on that ..... I made up some full length wing joiners for my plane ....

Its a nice motor ..... its heavy though ..... your going to have to watch your C of G ..... I suspect the 2200 lipo is not heavy enough ..... did you mention using two of them? ..... that might work ok .... mount everything and see how it balances .... wonder if the motor would run on two cell lipos? ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2010, 03:24 PM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
Ok I finally got to open the box today. The plane was well packed in a heavy cardboard box with air bag and bubble wrap taped in place which should protect the plane in shipping,unless it gets run over by a truck. I took pictures wile unpacking. I also copied the manual in PDF format. First impression of this plane is very good. The EPP is rather dense and strong with carbon fiber spars installed and control surfaces pre cut shaped and self hinged very precisely. Time will only tell how long the hinges will hold up but if they break loose you can always glue them back in place with hot glue like is used on the Super Fly EPP Delta wing planes.Should be an easy build, now I just have to find the time. Here's some pictures.
sverlander is offline Find More Posts by sverlander
Old Nov 22, 2010, 03:58 PM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
854 Posts
Nice photos !!

Kai
DrEvil is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil
Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:05 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sverlander View Post
Ok I finally got to open the box today. The plane was well packed in a heavy cardboard box with air bag and bubble wrap taped in place which should protect the plane in shipping,unless it gets run over by a truck. I took pictures wile unpacking. I also copied the manual in PDF format. First impression of this plane is very good. The EPP is rather dense and strong with carbon fiber spars installed and control surfaces pre cut shaped and self hinged very precisely. Time will only tell how long the hinges will hold up but if they break loose you can always glue them back in place with hot glue like is used on the Super Fly EPP Delta wing planes.Should be an easy build, now I just have to find the time. Here's some pictures.
That looks just like mine.....

Another Superfly flyer .....

What motor/ prop are you going to use? ....
Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:54 PM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
That looks just like mine.....

Another Superfly flyer .....

What motor/ prop are you going to use? ....
I like the AXI motors. I was thinking about a 2814/16 which is a 1035KV which uses a 9x6 to 10x5 prop 3 cell lipo. It's listed for a 35-64 oz plane,sport/scale/sailplane/aerobatic. 3.75 oz. weight, 1-3/8" diameter, 1-5/8" case length, 4mm shaft diameter. High torque motors for models 35 to 64 ounces. They claim you can use a 30 amp ESC but I always found it's better to go larger. I have a Castle Phoenix 80 I am plaining to use. Maybe a little over kill.
My buddy has an AXI 2814/12 I can use which might work just as good. It's a 1390KV which uses a 9.5x5 to 11x7 prop, 2 or 3 cell lipo for a 35 to 70 oz sport/scale plane with a 40 amp ESC Same size and weight as the AXI 2814/16.
That's what I have lined up so far and I want to put a landing gear on it. Probably make it a tail dragger.

Yes I love my Super Fly's. I have one for night flying and one for combat.
My buddy is thinking about making his Mega Fly FPV
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:46 PM
Addicted to FPV
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2005
172 Posts
Hobby King shows -12 in stock. Damn, you guys bought them all....
dblnaknak is offline Find More Posts by dblnaknak
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:01 PM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblnaknak View Post
-15 in stock now
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:53 AM
Belgium
Joined Jun 2009
81 Posts
Yeah, I'll have to add some weights in the nose. Never tried 2 lipo's before tho
My HD camera only weighs 100 gr.

It appears we are growing in numbers, mwhahahaaaaaaa!

Please post more experiences with the plane, so others can learn from it (like not putting in a 1800kv motor)
tumtum is offline Find More Posts by tumtum
Old Nov 23, 2010, 01:10 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,320 Posts
I'm one of the lucky few who managed to order one before they ran out - thanks to HK's stock notification feature

I started building last night. Looks straight forward for the most part, but the boom servo mounts have me scratching my head a little bit. Not sure why they're supposed to move freely along the boom as the manual seems to state.

After much internal debate I have decided to use a 3536C 1050 motor, as I don't think the little 2217 I got for it will be enough for some of the things I envision doing with this plane, particularly when it comes to short take offs / climbs.

Also I am thinking I will use a metal gear servo for the elevator.
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Nov 23, 2010, 01:28 AM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
I'm one of the lucky few who managed to order one before they ran out - thanks to HK's stock notification feature

I started building last night. Looks straight forward for the most part, but the boom servo mounts have me scratching my head a little bit. Not sure why they're supposed to move freely along the boom as the manual seems to state.

After much internal debate I have decided to use a 3536C 1050 motor, as I don't think the little 2217 I got for it will be enough for some of the things I envision doing with this plane, particularly when it comes to short take offs / climbs.

Also I am thinking I will use a metal gear servo for the elevator.
I think they want the servo mounts loose so you can move them to help balance the planes CG after you decide where everything is going I am sure you have to glue them in place. The tail boom is 16 mm in diameter which is the same as the T-Rex 500 tail boom. I am going to use T-Rex 500 tail servo mounts which have screws and clamp to the boom and you can slide them anywhere on the boom and lock them in place.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:45 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
I think they want the servo mounts loose so you can move them to help balance the planes CG after you decide where everything is going I am sure you have to glue them in place. The tail boom is 16 mm in diameter which is the same as the T-Rex 500 tail boom. I am going to use T-Rex 500 tail servo mounts which have screws and clamp to the boom and you can slide them anywhere on the boom and lock them in place.
Now that's a good idea ..... I like it ....

I hot glued mine in position after doing the setup and figuring out where the weight is re. C of G .......... they are right up near the fuse and I still needed nose ballast of 50g ....
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:47 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblnaknak View Post
put an order in and you will get it from the next delivery for certain .....
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:26 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Thanks for the motor info above ..... looking forward to seeing how they work out .... I can certainly appreciate the potential benefits of a bit more power than I'm running with ..... not a big deal to go higher in Watts so will keep in mind ....
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:30 AM
Aosta, Italy
Joined Feb 2009
34 Posts
hobie, one question about your motor... (2217)
i've ordered one to,
i think my plane will weight 1600g 1650g (with all the electronic onboard)
is the motor good for this weight?

thanks
Ivan IV is offline Find More Posts by Ivan IV
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:15 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Hmm, wish I thought of this sooner, it's a great idea
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn