Old Dec 07, 2009, 02:51 AM
boerie roll
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Build Log
SeaDart easy build waterplane parkflyer *PLANS*

Here is my project for the summer holidays

A prop in slot version of the Convair XF2Y Seadart. It is basically a semi-profile park jet that can fly off water.

Material: 6mm Depron
Wing span: 29" (737mm)
Length: 41.5" (1055mm)
Flying weight tested: 17.6oz - 19.4 (500g - 550g)
Motor: 2212-06 (2200kv)
Prop: APC 6x4E
Battery: 1800 – 2200 mah 3S lipo

It flies off water or grass.

Original design:
Depron Seadart on water (4 min 0 sec)

Depron Seadart (1 min 18 sec)

V2:
Seadart v2 (1 min 35 sec)

CG position: 6" to 8" back from wing break. (Requires about 1/3" (8mm) of up trim, measured at the inboard elevon edge)

The THRUST ANGLE and SKI RAISE modifications are not required for the V2 plans

Control throws (measured at the inboard elevon edge):

Elevator:
0.8" (20mm) up
0.8" (20mm) down
30% expo

Aileron:
0.9" (23mm) up
0.9" (23mm) down
30% expo

Rudder:
2.2" (56mm) left
2.2" (56mm) right
75% expo

Some handling tips:

Water handling:
A medium fast taxi that lets the plane just rise up on the ski and the tip floats is the easiest way to get around on water. At higher speeds, where only one tip float may be touching the surface, a bit of aileron with the rudder helps with turning.

Take off:
A good take off technique is to let the plane accelerate until it is just riding on the ski and then apply gentle up elevator to get it airborne smoothly.

Flying:
General flying is easy. Expect some minor pitch changes when suddenly opening the throttle at very low speeds, due to the high thrust line.

Landing
Landings are easy. These can be done fast and smooth or you can flare to zero airspeed and plop down.

Please post a picture if you build one and any positive or negative feedback is welcome.

*****A short kit of this plane is available: *****
http://www.balsabuddies.com/cutouts/bbshop.htm

Enjoy
Marcel
vleisie is offline Find More Posts by vleisie
Last edited by vleisie; Jun 22, 2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Updated CG position
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2009, 01:47 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
I am in... this is going to be a sweet build. How do you plan to protect the motor from the water??
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Dec 07, 2009, 04:39 PM
Buzz Run Extraordinare!
USA, MI, Sanford
Joined Jul 2006
2,371 Posts
looks great.
b-29er is offline Find More Posts by b-29er
Old Dec 07, 2009, 08:42 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,241 Posts
Man you keep pumping out some great stuff!

Better get Birdofplay off the boat and to his cutting machine!

Can't wait to follow along on this one
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Dec 07, 2009, 08:44 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,438 Posts
That is very cool, I've done a lot of deltas but prefer pushers, however this is one application where the slot seems perfect, especially higher mounted to clear the water, I wanted to do a seadart, maybe as a edf, but wasn't sure if I'd suck water in. Looking forward to seeing it fly.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Natter
Old Dec 07, 2009, 10:52 PM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS View Post
I am in... this is going to be a sweet build. How do you plan to protect the motor from the water??
ATIS, the motor should be clear of the worst splashes and spray (when the plane is upright in the water), but I still need to confirm this. Water to fly off is very scarce here, but I'll have plenty of opportunity in about a week from now.

Marcel
Old Dec 08, 2009, 10:04 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,438 Posts
Vleisie, did you do any thrust adjustment to prevent the offset thrust axis from pitching the plane down in the water, it might not be needed for grass takeoff, but not sure about water. You also might not need the ski, as you have a pretty good hull shape up front, with the square ski edge, I 'd be afraid of it ripping off. Just thinking out loud, maybe this isn't a problem.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Natter
Old Dec 08, 2009, 12:11 PM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj View Post
Vleisie, did you do any thrust adjustment to prevent the offset thrust axis from pitching the plane down in the water, it might not be needed for grass takeoff, but not sure about water. You also might not need the ski, as you have a pretty good hull shape up front, with the square ski edge, I 'd be afraid of it ripping off. Just thinking out loud, maybe this isn't a problem.
Thanks Frank, I've been thinking of the same things. I only have 1 down thrust relative to the wing, which seems to be fine in flight. Taking off from grass the plane does get pitched forward quite a bit, so I am somewhat worried about the water handling. It looks like I can move the CG back, so that should help.

I haven't flown it since the maiden flight, I'm waiting for the Rust-Oleum Aqua to dry (48 hours between coats and it still looks crap). I wish we had black Depron here!!
Old Dec 08, 2009, 02:25 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
I guess that means we will have to wait on the actual build picts!!
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Dec 08, 2009, 11:33 PM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS View Post
I guess that means we will have to wait on the actual build picts!!
Build pics added. I'll add some more detail to the descriptions later.
Old Dec 09, 2009, 02:00 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
862 Posts
I'm in and very cool indeed! Will the ski eventually rotate up and down? I've never seen an rc model of this plane before so it will be unique. I'm assuming this will be offered by 6mmflyrc once all the kinks are worked out. Watching with keen interest.
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Dec 09, 2009, 10:58 PM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy View Post
I'm in and very cool indeed! Will the ski eventually rotate up and down? I've never seen an rc model of this plane before so it will be unique. I'm assuming this will be offered by 6mmflyrc once all the kinks are worked out. Watching with keen interest.
Thanks for the interest. I'm not planning to make the ski moveable - in the spirit of quick building and weight I'll rather keep it simple. I can't speak for 6mmflyrc, but this plane is probably a bit too "unique" to be profitable.

By the way, there is a guy in the foamy EDF section working on a more scale Seadart if you are interested.

Marcel
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:28 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vleisie View Post
Here is my project for our summer holidays
..... It is a bit of an ugly duckling (according to my wife). ....

Neat project Marcell!

What are you using to cut out the foam? Exacto knife?

BTW, The only thing I see that somewhat detracts from the scale look is the top intakes. If they were rounded instead of squared it would be hard telling this was a model in a photo without extreme close ups. Perhaps this is what your wife is speaking? Besides that I think you have the looks nailed, beautiful work.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG