New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2015, 04:41 PM
Find More Posts by jetmaven
Joined Oct 2004
985 Posts
Discussion
Build Log - T Tail Quasoar 1971 Neil Liptak design

If is a woody and its a classic RES type design , I can't help myself . Yes , it's an addiction. There , I said it .
First I'd like to thank Tom Scott for the introduction to Neil's designs . He's doing a build log over in the Electric Sailplane forums of the Saber Soar and doing a right good job of it .
The litany of Liptak' s designs also include the 16' Yankee Soar , the Quasoar 2 which is a V tail , the 12' T Tail . He's also credited on the Sophisticated Lady which was a Goldberg kit . I'm sure there's more and I'm told he looks in on these forums . I'd be honored to hear from him .
Before I post the first of the T Tail build , I'll admit I'm a bit confused . I own , fly and totally enjoy flying my 1989 Paul Carlson designed Ace R /C Quasoar . It's a 123" foam core balsa sheeted , glass fuse ship I picked up NIB from a gentleman in the RCG classifieds . What accounts for the names being the same between old and really old is a mystery
A search of his site will lead you to the PDF's if you too are a scratch builder .
jetmaven is offline Find More Posts by jetmaven
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2015, 05:13 PM
Joined Oct 2004
985 Posts
Today I received my order from National Balsa . To say I'm happy is an understatement .
The Spruce is straight grained and the Balsa , especially the 1/16 x 10 1/2 x 48" wing skins , are just perfect .
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by TScott1118
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
1,590 Posts
Steve, Your wing ribs came out great. I'm in and look forward to watching your progress.
TScott1118 is online now Find More Posts by TScott1118
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,510 Posts
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Mar 13, 2015, 03:55 PM
Joined Oct 2004
985 Posts
Today was rib and spar day for the left half of the center panel . This is a three piece wing , something I'm not crazy about , I'd rather have a left and right half but this construction method will work .
I'll have to complete both sides of the center section of the wing , then join them and then sheet over the top surface . This can get a bit awkward since the dihedral angle is contained in the center panel .
Old Mar 13, 2015, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by Thermaler
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,423 Posts
Looking good Steve.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Mar 13, 2015, 05:05 PM
Joined Oct 2004
985 Posts
Thank you , it's a good thing I don't mind shear webbing . It is none the less a mindless task .
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:42 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,590 Posts
Are those lead weights on top of the spar? If so, where did you get them. Oh yeah, and lookin' good.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 08:34 AM
Joined Oct 2004
985 Posts
Not lead , those are 1" wide strips of black granite . I have a pretty good assortment of weights like that . I had some left over material from a home improvement project and cut it up on my wet saw . They go up to 18" . I particularly like them for keeping trailing edges true while the glue dries .
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by alexhallmalta
Malta & Newport
United States, RI, Newport
Joined May 2010
201 Posts
Nice work. You're encouraging me to get away from composites.
Is that Titebond in the syringe?
alexhallmalta is offline Find More Posts by alexhallmalta
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2015, 03:46 PM
Joined Oct 2004
985 Posts
Yes , that is Titebond (original ) .its all I've ever used , i buy it by the quart .I use little or no c/a .
Today I added the spoiler bay , I'll be using pull up blades , the 1/8 " I.d. Nylon tube for the cord is installed behind the sub leading edge which also went in today . I just find this method reliable .
The wing trailing edge and the leading edge of the flaps were tacked together and placed , that keeps everything lined up nicely ,they'll be cut apart after the wing is fully sheeted . The hinge blocks and flap control horn hard point are installed. A straw is placed for the flap servo wire .
The black strip on the trailing edge is carbon tow brushed down with a very light coat of laminating resin. Thats just insurance to help keep it nice and flat . I'll also do it on the outer panels to ensure the washout stays just the way it will be built in .
Old Mar 14, 2015, 05:33 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,590 Posts
Good idea n the tow. I might have to borrow it on my Sabre.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 06:25 PM
Joined Oct 2004
985 Posts
The center section was the issue at hand today . I felt the need to bring it into the 21st century . This is a 3 piece wing , not my favorite idea but there was no way to get all the dihedral into it that it calls for short of building it in this manner.
The second picture shows the aluminum that will form the core of the joiner and the 3/32 ply braces .
The first picture shows the ribs cut away to accept the ply braces and the ply hard point for the wing bolts . The leading edge will have dowels that plug into a fuse former . A bit old school but it will certainly work .
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:04 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,590 Posts
Wow. Lots of progress! How did you cut the aluminum?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 08:38 AM
Joined Oct 2004
985 Posts
I cut the 1/8 " aluminum with my Sabersaw ( sound familiar ) with a fine tooth metal cutting blade installed . I put a streak of oil along the cut lines . No problems at all . I don't know what alloy it is but it's fairly hard stuff .
Last edited by jetmaven; Mar 17, 2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Fix wording