Old Jul 25, 2015, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
31,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
Templates from the broken pieces are welcomed but its usual to have some bits missing so imo some imagination also helps.. i also use pictures from people/net and scale them down to known dimensions in my draw
Agreed!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2015, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by sr175
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
1,551 Posts
Cool thanks guys. I picked up as much as i could from the corn field. Between that and no trash bag at field i am sure much is missing. It really was toothpick mainly due to wings literally exploding into twigs. If cant find thats om i will just freehand something that i am sure is not as nice as the stuff you guys can do but should be ok. Still deciding how much of the motor box to replace. Most of it is good and i dont think all of it needs to be replaced. I can probably splice in much of it but still thinking about it. I will also need to redo the elevator thats in a couple pieces as well. Will get to that later. Good thing is that i get to recover it?! Will get rid of the branding stickers which look tacky to me. Should learn a lot from this labor extensive exercise.
sr175 is online now Find More Posts by sr175
Old Jul 25, 2015, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
31,476 Posts
Anything you learn is good...good or bad....as you still learned something!! If it's good, do it again, if it's not...don't!!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:08 PM
Find More Posts by camoy
I can't fly
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2006
2,970 Posts
Yes i am learning right now with my current project. Rescued a 92 edge that was wrecked figured i can repair it and get a 92 for super cheap.

As long as you approach it slowly and remember it is a learning experience you will find it to be fun and very rewarding.
camoy is offline Find More Posts by camoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge repair
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:36 AM
Find More Posts by Azlodaniel
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2010
215 Posts
sr175, I cant seem to find my template, but here is a post that has a picture of the Template I made. Hopefully that will help.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=240
Azlodaniel is online now Find More Posts by Azlodaniel
Old Today, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by ckleanth
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
2,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
Right, as promised here are my drawings for the 3dhs 74 edge wingtip. Both are designed to be symmetrical, so you need to make two of these using the same drawing.
There are two drawings, one with dimensions and one to trace & cut the balsa. they are both to scale so if you print them using the correct paper with 100% scaling you should get 1:1 print. However if you don't have a large printer then you can print the supplied dimensional drawing to fit your printer (A4 or letter print paper) and then print the trace and cut versions to 1:1 scale.

If you look at the drawings the assembly is fairly self explanatory.
To make the wingtips you will need 2mm balsa sheet, a solid balsa block, and 2mm plywood for the base of the wingtip. Personally I'd laser cut the parts but balsa is fairly easy to cut, and the ply shape is pretty simple to trace and cut so it can be done manually.

what is not shown on the drawing is:
a) the use of the solid balsa block
b) 2mm x 2mm balsa strips (you can cut these using a ruler and a stencil knife).
c) wide washers

Instructions (for one wingtip):
Cut the parts and six 2mmx2mm balsa strips at least 270mm long

Glue two wide washers onto the base that will be screwed onto the wing/sfg. The base is designed to be 2mm plywood but you might get away with balsa.

The solid balsa block will be needed to make some form of a channel for the screws to slide through. With trial and error you need to cut & sand the solid balsa block to match the shape of the near formers. One may also try using a combination of solid balsa and a big drinking straw - the stuff you can get KFC and McDonalds.

You will need to create the guide so that the screw can be inserted under the outside rib wingtip and use a long allen key to secure the wingtip and the SFG. .

The edgings on the formers is to add stiffness, and this is where you need to use the 2mm x2mm strips of balsa, it should be flexible enough to bend and glue on to the formers to create the shape. then you can cover it using ultracote/solarfilm..

I've not made one yet so if someone finds an issue please report back so I can correct the drawing.

Happy building...

Camoy, did not forget about the SFG, I will get to it mate.
Right.
At the money I'm designing the 74" edge SFG's (original 3dhs shape, EF style and one which is my own creation and is a mixture of both versions).

I made a quite detailed scan of my sfg's and spacer and i think i can improve the wingtips ever so slightly and will make a better fit (especially if you dont plan to fit the sfg's and then the wingtips). The current drawings are not wrong if you already started making them but I'd recommend that you guys wait a bit.

I will publish new drawings in 2-3 days so i'd recommend that you guys hold on making these a bit longer.
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Today, 10:10 AM
Find More Posts by camoy
I can't fly
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2006
2,970 Posts
Thanks a lot for doing this
camoy is offline Find More Posts by camoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge repair