SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 22, 2015, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by Illini_Rob
Washington
Joined Aug 2009
172 Posts
Discussion
Looking for very portable glider for hiking with

Okay I've been looking at old RCG threads and I can't find what I'm looking for.

I want a high quality glider that is very portable so I can take it when I'm hiking up 3000 foot mountains in the area -- which means the emphasis is on portability.

Must have:
- conventional tail
- 2 piece wing
- max assembled span of 48" -- smaller is okay .. would be great though if it fits completely in my backpack.
- should have a light wing loading .. bonus for integrated ballast for higher winds.

I wouldn't say that money is no object, but let's just say that I'm a sucker for carbon...
I would settle for a foamie that fits the portability requirement (even if performance will be low) if there are no high quality options.

Seems like all of the small HLG and DLG's have one-piece wings in their quest for minimum weight.

Any ideas??
Illini_Rob is offline Find More Posts by Illini_Rob
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2015, 08:29 PM
G_T
Find More Posts by G_T
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
6,356 Posts
It's not really for reducing weight so much as to more cheaply handle the tension loads on the wings during a throw which can approach 50# for a very strong thrower. Wings with joiners for the job are a bit more work therefore a bit more expensive. And yes, a bit heavier, all else being equal.

Are you essentially looking for a small light portable slope plane that can handle light lift?

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Old Mar 22, 2015, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,755 Posts
Rob,

You can convert a bagged wing model (or possibly solid core molded) to 2 piece. I converted my Supergee and documented it in this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1917409

Regarding your 48 inch span requirement most stuff is 59 inches due to the F3K event limit. You could cut down a 60 inch bagged to 50 inches. Some folks have cut down broken DLGs to make mini DLGs.

To make the fuselage length a little shorter you might be able to make a removable vert stab.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 22, 2015, 09:58 PM
Washington
Joined Aug 2009
172 Posts
G_T:
Yup pretty much. ..but also strong enough that I can add some ballast without worries and durable enough that I can do slope landings.

rdwoebke:
Interesting idea. I couldn't see myself chopping into a brand new plane, but if I got my hands on a used older model ... hmmm
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:12 PM
Washington
Joined Aug 2009
172 Posts
Maybe something like this with Ryan's mod:
http://www.soaringusa.com/Mini-Race-Carbon.html
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:58 AM
Find More Posts by JimZinVT
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,633 Posts
Look at the Art Hobby planes too. Lots of wingspan choices, a bit heavy by current DLG standards but they make nice slopers. Ryan's 2-piece thread is great step-by-step, as well as the "2-piece Pickle" thread in this forum. I think there are 2-piece Blaster instructions around here somewhere too

I'd like to do something like this too, for sloping in the local mountains here. My worry is how to transport by backpack or mt. bike without breaking something.

- Jim
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Mar 23, 2015, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT View Post
I'd like to do something like this too, for sloping in the local mountains here. My worry is how to transport by backpack or mt. bike without breaking something.
If you make a custom fit cardboard or choroplast box I think you will find that you can very safely pack models/transmitters for easy access.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 23, 2015, 09:12 AM
Find More Posts by elkski
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
4,120 Posts
Tom of fr3ak fame was working on a take down wing. But I don't see why you need a high performance DLG to slope. Alula would be perfect but I have taken it to moubrain tops and it needs brakes like you said. It took a boulder pounding on top of mt Evans 14000'
elkski is online now Find More Posts by elkski
Old Mar 23, 2015, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by JimZinVT
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,633 Posts
The Alula is great for light wind, but something with better speed and penetration is needed for the wind up on the mountain ridges.

Rob you might get some good suggestions if you asked this question on the Slope Forum.
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Mar 23, 2015, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by elkski
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
4,120 Posts
Yes. The sloper guys hike up with amazing numbers of planes in special packs. You need more durability than any DLG provides. Alula can penetrate in any wind. Ballast of many ounces. One local guy has a form fitted rock he tapes on top. But there is a landing zone
elkski is online now Find More Posts by elkski
Old Mar 23, 2015, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by jeroenkole
The Netherlands, UT, Breukelen
Joined May 2011
9 Posts
I modified a beaten up tweagle wing to fit in a samsonite to take along on holidays. It worked out great. Pictures are on the dutch forum; http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/...offer-dlg.html
The wing was cut in 3 pieces, the middle part having the connections to the torque tubes. The outer panels fitted with carbon tubes and locked with u shape 1 mm steel wire in sort of hardpoints. Sealed with tape.
The fuse, H2, was cut in 2 pieces also. First made a carbon tube on the outside that fits really tight. After sliding the tube aft The fuse was cut in 2 and a small oval tube glued on the inside.
The steering lines for the tail section are disconnected to take it apart. Once on location I left the middle wing part connected and took it along in my backpack for walks on the beach.
As this was only a test I did not do full power launches, but most of the time 30 meters was enough.
jeroenkole is offline Find More Posts by jeroenkole
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by dwarswind
Joined Oct 2013
11 Posts
For inspiration.

In the Netherlands has someone of his Tweagle made to a "Samsonite" DLG.

http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/...offer-dlg.html
dwarswind is offline Find More Posts by dwarswind