SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Bud Morrison, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 02, 2015, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Joined Dec 2007
1,628 Posts
2 legs angled forward well away from the CG closer to the engine the better chance it stays on its legs like the free flight guys do will handle some grass that way, unless you plane on flying off pavement then trike will work with typical half A size wheels. Its down to what you can stomach looks / drag / weight wise. The control horns on your ailerons torque rods what are they servo horns? Also note set the prop up when the engine stops the prop wind mills and locks parallel with the terror forma.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2015, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by The_LeadingEdge
Rudders are overrated
United States, VA
Joined Jan 2014
146 Posts
That prop set up is genius, how did I not think of that! Also the aileron control horns are part of a dubro package called 'Micro aileron system' or something like that. Cost me like $4 at the LHS

Think I might go with nose gear. I don't want to have static main gear, hate that 'gear down' look, but I think I can sacrifice looks for better landings with tricycle gear
The_LeadingEdge is offline Find More Posts by The_LeadingEdge
Old May 03, 2015, 01:26 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,628 Posts
Yes if you put a tail wheel to the working rudder your set for steering. When landing in grass that front single leg will be acting like a brake although all gear does unless you have large enough dia wheels to roll on grass.
Old May 03, 2015, 04:12 PM
Rudders are overrated
United States, VA
Joined Jan 2014
146 Posts
Well generally I take off from pavement. Albeit rough pavement, but pavement none the less. Just picked a set of dubro super-lite wheels. I think nose gear is the way to go, I feel that it's easier to land with versus taildraggers.

On a completely different topic, has anyone ever tried using Minwax wood stain on balsa? I've got some that is a stain/poly mix and I'd like to try it out on the fuse considering it doesn't need to be covered since it's fully sheeted. I think it would look really nice and very different. Thoughts?
Old May 04, 2015, 06:22 AM
Find More Posts by Jburry
Canada, NB, Mispec
Joined Feb 2015
27 Posts
Real planes drag their tails....
Jburry is offline Find More Posts by Jburry
Old May 07, 2015, 05:47 PM
Rudders are overrated
United States, VA
Joined Jan 2014
146 Posts
Hahaha fair enough. I do love that 'warbird' look when a plane gets up on the mains during take off... if only I was able to land the stupid things I went ahead and epoxied in the nose gear as well as the main gear. No steerable nose wheel unfortunately, little too late to make servo linkages and what not. Just need to get her covered and she'll be ready to maiden! I'm going to ditch the whole 'minwax/poly coating' and just cover the fuse with iron on covering. Apparently minwax isn't fuel proof.
Old May 08, 2015, 02:14 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,628 Posts
Tail dragster on sortie to Skorch some air....
Old May 23, 2015, 08:58 AM
Find More Posts by cale10
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,633 Posts
hey guys, i decided to try control line and i ordered a SIG Deweybird kit last night. i will be using a cox baby bee .049 as my power source. what prop do you guys recommend for slower flying? since im new to this i dont want it to be hot shot fast. i need it to be kinda slow to give me some time to react.
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old May 23, 2015, 09:17 AM
Rudders are overrated
United States, VA
Joined Jan 2014
146 Posts
6x3 Master Airscrew, or cox brand. I'm not sure you can go any bigger than that without wearing the engine down prematurely
Old May 23, 2015, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by coriolan
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada
Joined Sep 2006
6,429 Posts
Won't be too fast with a Cox Baby Bee, a 5"X3"< 6"X3" prop will give good pull and be fine with 35" lines.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old May 23, 2015, 11:04 PM
Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
711 Posts
For the curious,

http://www.sceptreflight.net/Model%2...den%20Bee.html

is R. H. Warring's May 1961 Aeromodeller magazine article of his evaluation of the Cox .049 Babe Bee. A 6x3 prop puts it in the RPM range where maximum horsepower is developed. You can also use a 5x3 or 5x4 prop if desired. It just depends on what lap speed you are shooting for. Some time back when I was flying 1/2-A reed valve CL, I used 5-1/4x3, 5-1/4x4, and 6x3 props.
GallopingGhostlr is online now Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
Old May 24, 2015, 07:40 AM
Find More Posts by aspeed
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,784 Posts
If you want to go "really"? fast, the mouse race guys are using the APC electric 4.75 - 4.75" props. They seem to get more laps and go a bit quicker than most others on the B Bee. That is a pretty small clean plane. A 6-3, 6-2, or 5.75-3 will slow things down if that is what you like.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed