New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2015, 11:26 PM
Find More Posts by psychlic
want to fly the big one please
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Feb 2013
3,472 Posts
Hi guys, I am going to try and use the programmer box for the first time on ZYX-S
but I bought p.box it a few years ago.
does the box need to have firmware update?
and if so how is that done?

ok, found a link to P.box flashing....................thanksj
don't go away, may not work.................
psychlic is offline Find More Posts by psychlic
Last edited by psychlic; May 12, 2015 at 12:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2015, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by applewood
Joined Jan 2015
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by applewood View Post
I've not had time to look at the heli for a while. I pulled my finger out and got the build finished. On My first outing, I didn't seem to have enough head speed or pitch to hover. When i originally setup the heli, 50% stick I adjusted 0deg pitch. Then adjusted 0% and 100% throttle to give pitch -/+ 10deg as per guidance from 'Simons' YouTube video.

On the maiden flight with linear throttle and pitch curves I needed to be up to nearly full throttle stick movement to get the help off the ground ( battery was fully charged). I was then able to get off the ground by adjusting the travel movement to give more pitch. But this doesn't seem to be right.

Setup is as follows:
Tarot 450 prov2
Tarot3500kv motor
Hobbywing 40a platinum pro ESC
12t pinion
150 main gear
Tarot zyx-s2
35c 2200 3s lipo

I ended up agausting pitch to be + 12/13 deg at 100% throttle and that seemed to get off the ground and hover about 85% full stick.

So I thought I would go back to basics and check every thing, this doesn't seem to be right. Maybe I'm not getting enough head speed? My pitch/throttle curves are wrong, ESC not set right, or something else.

I have a couple of questions:
1) do I need tx controller mid stick to level swash or 50% on the tx screen mine is currently different from messing with the throttle and pitch curves.
2) is 12t pinion enough for 3500kv tarot or should concentrate on adjusting the pitch
3) does anyone know the tarot timing and pwm freq, its default at the moment with slow start enabled.
4) should I just change throttle curve to be flat 80 after mid sticks?
5) what's the recommended pitch adjustments for tarokv450 with 3500kv 10deg or more

Sorry if I'm going over old ground, I have read most of the posts in this thread, it took me ages. Some didnt make sense at the time with my stage of learning. Your help would be appreciated!
I retraced my steps, resetting the tx curves to linear. Set 0deg pitch at 50% stick and +/-12 pitch at full stick.

2nd flight great sucess . tuned tail on rate and hh. Wow the help is great no twitching, really stable.

3rd flight in a bit of wind, tail held great in hh mode.

Still think the head speed is low. But not complaining as the help flies so great. Will check end points with the ESC and timing. I'm getting about 15mins hovering on 2200 pack 35c, battery warm while the motor and ESC are cool.
applewood is offline Find More Posts by applewood
Old May 14, 2015, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by Nihilistic
Joined Feb 2009
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by applewood View Post
I retraced my steps, resetting the tx curves to linear. Set 0deg pitch at 50% stick and +/-12 pitch at full stick.

2nd flight great sucess . tuned tail on rate and hh. Wow the help is great no twitching, really stable.

3rd flight in a bit of wind, tail held great in hh mode.

Still think the head speed is low. But not complaining as the help flies so great. Will check end points with the ESC and timing. I'm getting about 15mins hovering on 2200 pack 35c, battery warm while the motor and ESC are cool.
15 minutes?? My 2200 packs are at 3.8V per cell after 5 minutes with governor at 3000 RPM. Are you running your packs till they die? You should avoid discharging them below 3.6V per cell to maximize their life span. You can kill a lipo, or at least quickly shorten its usable life by discharging below 3V per cell.
Nihilistic is online now Find More Posts by Nihilistic
Old May 14, 2015, 04:32 PM
Joined Jan 2015
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilistic View Post
15 minutes?? My 2200 packs are at 3.8V per cell after 5 minutes with governor at 3000 RPM. Are you running your packs till they die? You should avoid discharging them below 3.6V per cell to maximize their life span. You can kill a lipo, or at least quickly shorten its usable life by discharging below 3V per cell.
Thanks nihilistic, I've been relying on the ESC lv cutoff, i probably need to check that too. Too be honest it think the head speed is really low, so i'm not taxing the battery hence the long fly time. The last 450 heli I owned was stock align 450sev2, giving about 10 min fly time but head speed was scarey, it was about 7-8 year ago since I had it. The headspeed on my current setup seems calm in comparison, maybe its just well balanced? I will check v after next run.
Old May 15, 2015, 02:27 PM
Joined Jan 2015
55 Posts
Ive checked the ESC throttle calibration, and the governer is off. I've left the timing and pwm freq on defaults, because not sure the settings for this motor. Linear throttle curve and pitch. +/-12 deg pitch.

Any ideas why the slow head speed. I've rechecked the tx and settings. Tried a different battery, checked +/- 12deg pitch. I might get a speed check app and check head speed.

Thing is the heli fly's so stable
Old May 19, 2015, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by jerseysgt
Joined Nov 2014
22 Posts
HeliTach app works very well.
jerseysgt is offline Find More Posts by jerseysgt
Old May 20, 2015, 08:35 PM
Joined Feb 2013
3,472 Posts
hey guys, i am wanting to put a ZYX-S on a 450 quad
has anyone used the ZYX-S on a multi?
do they work good?
are there any links for setup? tia
Old May 21, 2015, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by lcc014
AMA Member # 458448
United States, MA, ALLSTON
Joined May 2011
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlic View Post
hey guys, i am wanting to put a ZYX-S on a 450 quad
has anyone used the ZYX-S on a multi?
do they work good?
are there any links for setup? tia
I have never tried on quadcotper. However, zyx-s came with 2 init files for +quad and Xquad.
Please remove the txt extension before loading these ini file to zys-s.
lcc014 is offline Find More Posts by lcc014
Old May 21, 2015, 11:30 PM
Joined Feb 2013
3,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcc014 View Post
I have never tried on quadcotper. However, zyx-s came with 2 init files for +quad and Xquad.
Please remove the txt extension before loading these ini file to zys-s.
Thank you very much for this Icc
I have been asking around but it seem there is nobody that has tried a ZYX-S on a quad
this has me more curious than ever now to find out how well it would work
I hear that Tarot has a "NEW" ZYX-M gyro made just for multis, and has good reviews

I'm not even sure how to begin to load these files and setup the ZYX-S for a quad??
I looked on first page of thread, but did not find anything on quads except some setting for a 450
This is really strange to me that nobody is putting this on a quad when that is one of the features for the S

were did you find those files?
why is this quad setup so mysterious, and
Is there any info anywhere on how to setup for quad??
Last edited by psychlic; May 21, 2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old May 22, 2015, 06:44 AM
AMA Member # 458448
Joined May 2011
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Thank you very much for this Icc
I have been asking around but it seem there is nobody that has tried a ZYX-S on a quad
this has me more curious than ever now to find out how well it would work
I hear that Tarot has a "NEW" ZYX-M gyro made just for multis, and has good reviews

I'm not even sure how to begin to load these files and setup the ZYX-S for a quad??
I looked on first page of thread, but did not find anything on quads except some setting for a 450
This is really strange to me that nobody is putting this on a quad when that is one of the features for the S

were did you find those files?
why is this quad setup so mysterious, and
Is there any info anywhere on how to setup for quad??
These 2 init files were from ZYX3.0 firmware update back then. If you run the ZYNEN.exe PC software, you should see the Quad/Airplane setup under Swashplate type TAB. In this tab, you could setup up the 4 channels to the 4 motors.
The support of Quad in zyx was minimal, in my opinion. That's why Tarot came out with a separate device for multicopter.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:17 PM
Joined Feb 2013
3,472 Posts
Quote:
These 2 init files were from ZYX3.0 firmware update back then. If you run the ZYNEN.exe PC software, you should see the Quad/Airplane setup under Swashplate type TAB. In this tab, you could setup up the 4 channels to the 4 motors.
The support of Quad in zyx was minimal, in my opinion. That's why Tarot came out with a separate device for multicopter.
thanks very much for this!
sorry, didn't think it would be so much to it
just trying to get a trainer/beater F450 clone quad in the air, nothing fancy, just fly............

so I can find the zynen.exe PC Software on first page of thread?
Old May 23, 2015, 12:41 AM
AMA Member # 458448
Joined May 2011
1,272 Posts
Quote:
thanks very much for this!
sorry, didn't think it would be so much to it
just trying to get a trainer/beater F450 clone quad in the air, nothing fancy, just fly............

so I can find the zynen.exe PC Software on first page of thread?
Yes, that was the v3.5 update. Quad support was in 3.x and later.
Old May 23, 2015, 01:34 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3,472 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that was the v3.5 update. Quad support was in 3.x and later.
ok, well I am supposedly running the latest update on computer program
doesn't it have all the past updates also included?

I'm a bit confused still with the ZYX software
so how do I get to where it will show the quad setup?
do I need to go back to the older version software?
I still have no idea how to run the ZYNEN PC software or install ini. file files
so much computer mumbo-jumbo that I don't know how to do
I am using the Tarot software to setup ZYX_S, and kinda got the hang of it now
but I think this is starting to get over my head trying to figure out which update, software, firmware, etc, to use
Old May 23, 2015, 08:07 AM
AMA Member # 458448
Joined May 2011
1,272 Posts
Quote:
ok, well I am supposedly running the latest update on computer program
doesn't it have all the past updates also included?

I'm a bit confused still with the ZYX software
so how do I get to where it will show the quad setup?
do I need to go back to the older version software?
I still have no idea how to run the ZYNEN PC software or install ini. file files
so much computer mumbo-jumbo that I don't know how to do
I am using the Tarot software to setup ZYX_S, and kinda got the hang of it now
but I think this is starting to get over my head trying to figure out which update, software, firmware, etc, to use
I tried to download zyx firmwares from Tarot website and no luck at all. I still have the v4.0 firmware (see attachment). After you download the .rar file to your PC, you need to unzip it with winrar or other similar programs. Then you will find a file called zyx4.0_en.exe. That is the PC setup program (similar to John_nz's program). Tarot setup program will indicate the gyro firmware version once it is connected to gyro. Then you go to setup and swashplate type tab to find the Quad configuration submenu.
To use the .init files, from the PC setup program, you click on the File(F) pull down menu and select "Open Config file" to import the .ini file to zyx-s.

Hope this help.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:49 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3,472 Posts
Quote:
I tried to download zyx firmwares from Tarot website and no luck at all. I still have the v4.0 firmware (see attachment). After you download the .rar file to your PC, you need to unzip it with winrar or other similar programs. Then you will find a file called zyx4.0_en.exe. That is the PC setup program (similar to John_nz's program). Tarot setup program will indicate the gyro firmware version once it is connected to gyro. Then you go to setup and swashplate type tab to find the Quad configuration submenu.
To use the .init files, from the PC setup program, you click on the File(F) pull down menu and select "Open Config file" to import the .ini file to zyx-s.

Hope this help.
thanks man!
I think now with you info i can give it a go, but they sure did not make it easy