SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2015, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by shonmac
United States, NJ, Dunellen
Joined Aug 2014
836 Posts
I know what you mean. Monday through Friday was rain and 14 - 18 mph wind. I'm glad it eased up for a while. Wind is up 10mph now . I may try to sneak a few more flights early evening if the wind slows down.
shonmac is online now Find More Posts by shonmac
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2015, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by mrdd54
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonmac View Post
I know what you mean. Monday through Friday was rain and 14 - 18 mph wind. I'm glad it eased up for a while. Wind is up 10mph now . I may try to sneak a few more flights early evening if the wind slows down.
One day we had gusts of 45-50mph. Hence the name "Windy City"..... :/
mrdd54 is offline Find More Posts by mrdd54
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:14 AM
Joined Aug 2014
836 Posts
Yeah as I was typing ' 14 - 18 mph wind ' I thought that is nothing compared to what you are talking about.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by mrdd54
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonmac View Post
Yeah as I was typing ' 14 - 18 mph wind ' I thought that is nothing compared to what you are talking about.
I'm surprised my one tree in the backyard was going to be uprooted...
mrdd54 is offline Find More Posts by mrdd54
Old May 01, 2015, 09:46 PM
Joined Aug 2014
836 Posts
Added a little down elevator and now my landings are smooth. My elevator had a small angle upward that was hindering my landing approach.

With the elevator up; the plane would lift off quickly by itself. But it would balloon on my landing attempts , making it difficult for me to bring it down. I kept over shooting the runway.

Now I am bringing it down nice and easy. It's like I am greasing every landing !
Old May 25, 2015, 10:00 AM
Joined Aug 2014
836 Posts
Installed a new motor Saturday because the old motor had a stutter .Flew it this morning and it did well. I am not sure but I think I will add some downthrust to the motor. It really wants to climb.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by arbfrank
United States, PA, Lansdale
Joined Feb 2012
233 Posts
Hi Shonmac,
I would not be so quick to change the basic config of the plane, just because it wants to climb. When a full scale pilot flys he/she is always changing the trim. Changes in speed will make the plane decend or climb. On landing approaches the trim (elevator) is constantly being adjusted. If you have the finger skills, you can change the trims during the flight of the RC plane. No one trim is good for all flight conditions. Holding a little up or down elevator with the sticks is also the way to go. Heli pilots have to do it all the time. Hope this helps.
Frank Arbaugh
arbfrank is offline Find More Posts by arbfrank
Old May 25, 2015, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by captain MoMo
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
4,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbfrank View Post
Hi Shonmac,
I would not be so quick to change the basic config of the plane, just because it wants to climb. When a full scale pilot flys he/she is always changing the trim. Changes in speed will make the plane decend or climb. On landing approaches the trim (elevator) is constantly being adjusted. If you have the finger skills, you can change the trims during the flight of the RC plane. No one trim is good for all flight conditions. Holding a little up or down elevator with the sticks is also the way to go. Heli pilots have to do it all the time. Hope this helps.
Frank Arbaugh
Sorry but I disagree with constant trimming of RC Aircraft. You trim the aircraft for level flight once and that should do it. The remainder is controls you input during flight. So the CG and the control surface throws coupled with alignment of all surfaces work together to achieve a level flight. If the aircraft is climbing it means that you need to trim down on elevator and the once you get it to a level condition land, observe the location of the elevator surface and mechanically adjust. Then once that adjustment is done return the trim to beau trak for the elevator. You have mechanically adjusted for level flight. You will not need to make any further changes unless you change your CG point with a much heavier battery. You also mentioned that you believe the motor is adding this down thrust - but if it's the exact make and model it should not do anything substantially different.
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2015, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,232 Posts
I would add that in my full scale experience, you aren't constantly trimming. Maybe with an airliner that makes such subtle course corrections that only trim is needed. In full scale, you generally trim it for your CG or load config after takeoff, and either leave it there until touchdown, or sometimes return trim to dead neutral for landing. I make small trim adjustments almost every session of flying at the first flight of the day for whichever model. It being a foam plane, I dont trust that the surfaces dont behave differently with changes in temperature, humidity, as well as getting bumped around in the hangar.

-CC
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old May 26, 2015, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by arbfrank
United States, PA, Lansdale
Joined Feb 2012
233 Posts
Hi Captain & Cubcrazy,
I agree that in-flight trimming on an RC is not the best way to go. Using stick pressures is better. I think you will have to agree that changes in speed will cause a climb or decent in both RC and full scale planes. In full scale shooting an ILS approach in any size needs adjustment to trim to set up your glide angle and approach speed. Trim is a far more precise way of making adjustments, elevator is used for flaring upon touchdown. Just based on my experience.
Frank Arbaugh
arbfrank is offline Find More Posts by arbfrank
Old May 26, 2015, 07:18 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
4,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbfrank View Post
Hi Captain & Cubcrazy,
I agree that in-flight trimming on an RC is not the best way to go. Using stick pressures is better. I think you will have to agree that changes in speed will cause a climb or decent in both RC and full scale planes. In full scale shooting an ILS approach in any size needs adjustment to trim to set up your glide angle and approach speed. Trim is a far more precise way of making adjustments, elevator is used for flaring upon touchdown. Just based on my experience.
Frank Arbaugh
Frank - appreciate the experience. But this is a RC model not a scale 737
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
Find More Posts by skylane42
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
862 Posts
Need the manual for the 182

Hey guys, I bought a used Airfield 182 but it did not come with the manual. I went to the FMS site to try and download it but no luck. Anyone have the manual to download or a used one they don`t want.
skylane42 is offline Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by wjb111
Swartz Creek, MI.
Joined Dec 2010
352 Posts

I think I have a manual around. I will look this weekend.
wjb111 is offline Find More Posts by wjb111
Old Today, 05:35 AM
Find More Posts by skylane42
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
862 Posts
Thanks WJB.... FMS just sent me the manual download...
skylane42 is offline Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Today, 06:22 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
4,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane42 View Post
Thanks WJB.... FMS just sent me the manual download...
Please post the pdf file to this thread so others can access.... thanks!!
RCG Plus Member