Old May 27, 2015, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by Chap1012
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
12,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhoho View Post
I got a super cub lp from eBay a year ago that had a bad brick in it and slowly bought parts for it based on this forum. I did the popsicle reinforcement for wing saddle put a park 480 1020 kv motor on a small parts cnc mount with a 30 amp esc. I used an old Orange 6 channel rx and modified the battery box so battery is vertical and forward in box. Installed dupro 3" and 1.25" sport lite tires ,nice and thin for grass landings. Finally topped it off with the t-80 Trojan prop and hub collet,Prop is 9.5x7.5. Cg seems to be at 2.375 from leading edge I put the esc on motor mount wall for balance and cooling. Took her out to the park this evening as the winds died. Put in a turnigy 1300 25-35c battery got 8 minutes of fairly active flying had 11.25 volts left 20%. Wow is she fun to fly now, so quiet in the air and totally greases the landings in grass. I have flown the super cub s and hated her performance. I'm so glad I made this modification I have bought the sport cub s2 but did not want to fly it till I had some air time with a plane of similar size.I have Been training with a sport cub s1 to get me ready for it. Once I have the sport cub s2 up and flying I will probably convert this into a float plane. This was my first big plane modification I want to thank all of you for all the great info that I have found here. Happy flying all
Sounds great man. Can you do me a favor and post the link to your motor mount. What would be "even" nicer if you could post some pics of your motor mounted. I assume you have a CNC motor mount.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2015, 11:08 PM
Find More Posts by Chap1012
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
12,966 Posts
[QUOTE=Grup;31721685]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Darn man, you might have been flying a nose heavy cub this whole time. Hopefully this thread has been helping you. Balance is crucial to get correct before any flight. Gotta check again after any type of mod.
QUOTE]

So is the stock CG in the manual ok, or is there a better position that is recommended for the Sport Cub?
Yeah, the manual will give you the "approx" location of the COG (Center of gravity) also known in the plane talk as just "CG".

It's basically a starting point BUT, a good starting point you should adhere to. Always do a CG check after any mod and adjust your aircraft accordingly but, stay on that COG mark.

I hope this helps.
Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM
Find More Posts by markhoho
United States, NJ, Butler
Joined Jan 2013
65 Posts
motor mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Sounds great man. Can you do me a favor and post the link to your motor mount. What would be "even" nicer if you could post some pics of your motor mounted. I assume you have a CNC motor mount.

Mike.
It's from a company called "Custom rc parts" cnc machined aluminum motor mount for an e-flite park 480 motor $16. I am using a turnigy 480 park motor on it perfect fit. My computer is messed up right now so I am using my kindle sorry I can't post pic. I updated my original post. Going to be light winds tommorrow evening got six batteries charged up can't wait to fully explore her flight characteristics. Once again thanks for all your posts she really turned out well. Now I have to paint her yellow and replace the decals to make her shine.
markhoho is online now Find More Posts by markhoho
Last edited by markhoho; Yesterday at 06:25 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:04 AM
Find More Posts by 2spicey
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined May 2013
145 Posts
Yellow.... now you're talkin! One of my Trojan T28s in the yellow/red/black that stands out soooo well. OR the Yellow/red on my twin SC (during build) perhaps....
2spicey is offline Find More Posts by 2spicey
Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM
Find More Posts by RexGalore
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
215 Posts
^That's the best looking T28 I've ever seen, 2spicey!

And no gear to get caught in the hay! (Guess where I fly 99% of the time....)
RexGalore is online now Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
Find More Posts by markhoho
United States, NJ, Butler
Joined Jan 2013
65 Posts
trimming brushless super cub

Hey all I'm trimming out my sc elevators are level and rudder straight with no adjustments on my transmitter. She seems to fly just fine straight and level with very little throttle 20%, climes with added throttle as I would expect. When I cut throttle she does a 15 downward decent does that sound about
right or does she sound nose heavy to you.

Thanks in advance Mark.

Ps. Your Trojan looks so sweet in yellow
markhoho is online now Find More Posts by markhoho
Last edited by markhoho; Yesterday at 06:27 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by 2spicey
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined May 2013
145 Posts
Thanks for the colour compliments. The T28 was made from a smashed (many times) plane that a friend was going to throw away and nothing was straight in it anymore. I rebuilt it from the parts draw and it goes well (It is soon to get converted to 6s power but thats another story) The CG on my cub (single or twin) is 60mm 2 1/2 inch from the leading edge. I put 2200 3s, 2200 4s and 2650 4s in there (at 380g) without having to change trim. feel free to move the battery back using a wedge of foam in front 1cm at a time and just see how it changes the way it flies. You will find a sweet spot. Just make sure that it cannot flop around in there (I use a foam wedge to take up the space) My single Supercub runs its battery at the front of the battery box wedge behind and the Monsta Cub twin runs cells to the back of the box, wedge in front. Each plane having a slightly different weight distribution.
Forgot to mention... the big dubro wheels we all love, pull the nose down as the speed of the plane increases. I fly without LG & wheels and the plane is very consistant from 10 mph to 100mph. It's not an issue with standard Cubs but becomes noticable above 40mph or so.
2spicey is offline Find More Posts by 2spicey
Last edited by 2spicey; Yesterday at 09:55 PM.